Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift >

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Like Tree2Likes

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Old 01-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by eunique
I know what you mean...Im pretty lucky I have one fairly close. There are lots of drifter here going 50/50...so I do see the race mentality going light speed around this track...but how smooth it looked when he tried out my D3 and showed me "finesse drifting"as he called it.
.and I started to see and get a feel for it. I almost felt like I was driving completely wrong with my D3 every since.
It's a whole different mentality...but it does look sweet. (Specially in full steering lock)
When I get better with finesse, I will make another video
sweet I'll be looking forward to it. I wish I had some cash so I could open my own drift track
Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pickled
sweet I'll be looking forward to it. I wish I had some cash so I could open my own drift track
Wow...now that would be ultimate! I wish that too...when I was at track last week, these rock crawler guys were drifting and the other guy said he has big yard and he will buy carpet and build his own track! Sooo jealous

My new hobbyking solder station and my new Speed Passion Reventon Pro
Attached Thumbnails 3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift-20130126_084721.jpg   3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift-20130126_091648.jpg  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Wow...now that would be ultimate! I wish that too...when I was at track last week, these rock crawler guys were drifting and the other guy said he has big yard and he will buy carpet and build his own track! Sooo jealous

Old 01-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know what you mean...Im pretty lucky I have one fairly close. There are lots of drifter here going 50/50...so I do see the race mentality going light speed around this track...but how smooth it looked when he tried out my D3 and showed me "finesse drifting"as he called it.
.and I started to see and get a feel for it. I almost felt like I was driving completely wrong with my D3 every since.
It's a whole different mentality...but it does look sweet. (Specially in full steering lock)
When I get better with finesse, I will make another video

So what is finesse drifting?

Also - 120A hobbyking ESC came today!! Just waiting on the motor which will be here wednesday. Should be fun!
Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

that's like my solder station mine has led temp read out. I have mine set to about 366*C
Old 01-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Regular

that's like my solder station mine has led temp read out. I have mine set to about 366*C
Nice! First tiMe got to use it...what a difference compared to something that doesn't generate the right amount of heat. This along with wide tip made soldering much easier and better connection.

Seems I'm having problems getting Reventon Pro working with initial calibration...found Rcmart YouTube video showing demo of calibration.
It seems I was supposed to hold down the trigger to throttle and reverse first prior to pressing set on the Reventon Pro.
I'll try it out tomorrow morning and hope that is the only mistake I was making and that there is nothing wrong with my SP Reventon pro.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by saturnv7890
So what is finesse drifting?

Also - 120A hobbyking ESC came today!! Just waiting on the motor which will be here wednesday. Should be fun!
Well, from what I learned from a more seasoned drifter, you are basically allowing the overdriven rear ratio of the D3 to come out from behind the front wheels while countersteering and with just minimal steering input. As the rear kicks out and you are counter steered, you give gentle, smooth throttle (not the short throttle bursts) as you continue into the drift.
Then as a turn (or need for transition) comes up, you release throttle...since you should be counter steering, your wheels should be turned towards that turn the you need to make...when you release that throttle, the car shifts and goes into that turn since wheels are pointed there.
Then introduce more gentle, smooth throttle to go into the next turn and drift into it and continue to counter steer.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Well, from what I learned from a more seasoned drifter, you are basically allowing the overdriven rear ratio of the D3 to come out from behind the front wheels while countersteering and with just minimal steering input. As the rear kicks out and you are counter steered, you give gentle, smooth throttle (not the short throttle bursts) as you continue into the drift.
Then as a turn (or need for transition) comes up, you release throttle...since you should be counter steering, your wheels should be turned towards that turn the you need to make...when you release that throttle, the car shifts and goes into that turn since wheels are pointed there.
Then introduce more gentle, smooth throttle to go into the next turn and drift into it and continue to counter steer.
that is the way i want to drift, sure sounds easy ....... but i gots a heavy finger
Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jimmyzrx
that is the way i want to drift, sure sounds easy ....... but i gots a heavy finger
I know what you mean...I still find myself squeezing and doing the bursts of throttle here and there....so I have to concentrate and go smooth gentle throttle inputs
Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 AM
Tech Regular

Well, I couldn't wait till the morning...I hooked up the Reventon Pro and calibrated as it was supposed to be calibrated...test. no go.
Then I put my transmitter throttle setting to reverse...calibrated the ESC again.
Bench test.....drum rolls please...........

Voila! I have throttle and brake inputs!
Woohoo! My new Reventon Pro is working and not defective! Thanks YouTube and rcmart (dinball was the one who posted the video...which is rcmart)
Coincidentally, rcmart was where I got the deal for the Speed Passion Reventon Pro from

Tomorrow morning..download other programs for the ESC so I can have fwd, reverse and brake
Old 01-27-2013, 10:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? awg?

Well, I couldn't wait till the morning...
hehe sounds familiar

Woohoo! My new Reventon Pro is working and not defective! Thanks YouTube and rcmart (dinball
Nice! And thanks for the headsup. Which video was that exactly?

What kind of AWG wire and connectors did you use between motor and ESC, because the included wires don't reach the front?
(and i can't decide if a 3.5mm gold connector would do justice to a 140Amp $$$ Reventon Pro :P)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by kwadruppel
hehe sounds familiar

Nice! And thanks for the headsup. Which video was that exactly?

What kind of AWG wire and connectors did you use between motor and ESC, because the included wires don't reach the front?
(and i can't decide if a 3.5mm gold connector would do justice to a 140Amp $$$ Reventon Pro :P)
I used the wires it came with. Barely reaches...but the website wires don't reach. I was going to use mutt Oks one from the hobbywing xerun, but as I was removing it, 2 of the wires snapped off..tried to resolder it...No go. Removed it..ran in non sensored mode. Download drift 2 software and have reverse now. Will try to pick up some sensor wires...hope they are universal

It was the speed passion video with setting neutral.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Well I finsihed about 11pm last night....

And then proceeded to spend the next hour bumbling around down stairs learning.

I didnt think a 17.5 Reedy motor would have enough oomph... I was wrong she goes pretty hard.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

3 battery packs in, and I still cant get the hang of this thing.

Too heavy on the throttle I think.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=pickled;11721037]I'm still using my first with the hopped up chassis. there has to be something wrong with your pulleys if it is getting chewed up all the time. do you have the FOW installed? did you use the FOW pulley? are you running alloy pulleys? which FOW did you install?(if you installed one, highly recommended upgrade) you could try fingertech

I'm still using the plastic 13t pulley and each time it broke a belt,I've been replacing the belt and the pulley every time.
Yes,I do have the one way,it has been much better with it on,I've only done my second belt yesterday.
There are 4 d3 currently playing in this track and everyone is just going thru belts,with or without the one way.
I might check out that fingertech place.
Thanks pickle =]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.