R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 10-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #346
Tech Addict

I just bought a Yokomo MR-4TC SD SSG special S/H on ebay for $127.50 Will put that away for now can't afford to upgrade 2 cars ATM as my LHS only let you enter drift comps with yokomo, haboa or sakura zero chassis will CS it later. I'm hoping that the setup tools will make a difference? my centre belt has started to strip a few teeth so glad I bought a new one! I haven't had any issues with the front or rear belts so far just a few frayed threads! with your zero the easiest way to get the CS closer is to upsize your pulley's I been looking into how for the same reason I get a 2.0 CS ratio if you use a 45T/15T front and a 20T/30T rear but you can't get the 45T and 30T alloy diff pulley's yet till end november. can some one explain how to install alloy center pulley's on the D3 please if anyone knows??
pickled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #347
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Been looking at this chassis and the sakura zero s for drifting a lot lately. Just waiting on more hop ups for the D3 to get into stock before I order something.
TamiyaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #348
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickled View Post
I just bought a Yokomo MR-4TC SD SSG special S/H on ebay for $127.50 Will put that away for now can't afford to upgrade 2 cars ATM as my LHS only let you enter drift comps with yokomo, haboa or sakura zero chassis will CS it later. I'm hoping that the setup tools will make a difference? my centre belt has started to strip a few teeth so glad I bought a new one! I haven't had any issues with the front or rear belts so far just a few frayed threads! with your zero the easiest way to get the CS closer is to upsize your pulley's I been looking into how for the same reason I get a 2.0 CS ratio if you use a 45T/15T front and a 20T/30T rear but you can't get the 45T and 30T alloy diff pulley's yet till end november. can some one explain how to install alloy center pulley's on the D3 please if anyone knows??
I'm worried if there was enough clearance for 45t pulley?
eunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #349
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiyaChris View Post
Been looking at this chassis and the sakura zero s for drifting a lot lately. Just waiting on more hop ups for the D3 to get into stock before I order something.
I've got both..full hopups on Zero S and waiting for hopups for D3. Both are set up for drifting. Waiting for more parts to CS my Zero S.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #350
Tech Addict

oh man drama's with the ebay seller quoted me 30 bucks shipping before auction now saying $60 and wants me to pay within 12 hrs. I got onto ebay customer service they can read your ebay messages so saw the guy quoted 30 bucks and are gonna report him so no yokomo now doh. I'm just gonna get a sakura zero S now instead

Last edited by pickled; 10-14-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #351
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
I'm worried if there was enough clearance for 45t pulley?
It may require filing or grinding some clearance for the belt depending on your chassis but I think the Zero has an opening under the drive pulleys anyway

Last edited by pickled; 10-14-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #352
Tech Addict

Quote:
can some one explain how to install alloy center pulley's on the D3 please if anyone knows??
I just found some info on CSjunkies forum about it use a dremel to grind the pulley axle flat so the grub screw has something to lock onto?

going to buy some alloy pulleys next week hoping that 3Racing has the 12T pulley in stock by then, as I want to try to get the CS down to 1.71 with 12T center front and a 15Tcenter rear and keep the front and rear pulleys at 13T and 22T just to see how it goes otherwise I'll have to keep the center front at 13T which gives a CS of 1.86. need to get a collection of pulleys for find the right CS for my driving ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunique View Post
I've got both..full hopups on Zero S and waiting for hopups for D3. Both are set up for drifting. Waiting for more parts to CS my Zero S.
just the center belt pulleys that will be the problem but I think 3Racing (#CY-17/PU) can be used with 3Racing (#SAK-U05) Aluminium Gear Adaptor? comes with 16T-18T center pulleys for hot bodies cyclone and the same for TA05 3Racing (#TA05-21A)

Last edited by pickled; 10-15-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #353
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

ok so i took my other d3 and set it up with a oneway too and tested it out on the drive way and it works mint at the stock sc

but on carpet its a big pain in the but and very hard to control so ill be changing the sc to make it better for carpet

Front
38/13 (2.92) stock going to keep it

Rear
30/22 (1.36) stock im going to change it to 30/18 (1.66)

this will give me 4.84 stock is 2.14

this will make it a lot more smoother to run on carpet

i will make another youtube vid soon to show how hard it is to run on carpet and antoher one after the pulley change
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #354
Tech Addict

got my double cardins in they fit great and really snug in the bearings no play at all apart from in and out going to keep the ssk's for the Zero S, Setup the camber properly 2* front and 0* rear still have a bit of toe out but man its a completely different beast the double cardins have eliminated the wheel chatter and I don't have to have a low end point set in my radio now 100% but the ball ends on the bell crank hit the bulkheads at full lock need to look into that! decided to drill holes for body posts (functionality over looks) had to drill the post holes through the light bucket mounts but it works looks ok and the body doesn't fall off at the slightest touch lol. I recommend the TRF double cardins they make a huge difference to the wheel chatter! I fixed the stock cvd's for the rear the way td-civ pointed out to me dremel the pin flat and used thread lock and that worked awesomely, thanks for the pointers. I also put on a set of Yokomo DR-04 tyres that have changed the way the car drives for the better too! much easier to drive now apart from in a straight line but it is on vinyl, so I'm looking forward to taking it to my LHS this thursday for a drift practice session.

Last edited by pickled; 10-15-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #355
Tech Rookie

I finally was able to do a shake down with my D3 yesterday on a carpet. I was worried that a couple days ago tc-div said it was pretty hard to drive with front one-way but I figured i'd try with one-way anyway.

Well, I was actually surprised that it was so easy to drift even with stock 2.14 cs. my other chassis is tamiya vdf with 1.60 cs and 10.5t Novak and honestly the D3 with 2.14 cs and 6.5t motor feels as easy to drift as the vdf. Maybe it could be the more powerful motor. I was gonna lower the cs ratio before I tried it but now I probably will stick with stock 2.14 cs or actually go a bit higher since I feel pretty confident with it.

I added a tensioner for center belt but the belt was vibrating so much at full throttle and was still chewing the belt up a little so I did what ukionz did on page 22 and added spacers on the bottom of rear pulley holder and it seems to run quieter with less vibration at full throttle now.

I never tried my D3 with stock front spool diff so I don't know if it's actually better/easier to drive than having a one-way front. But in overall, I'm very satisfied with this new chassis.
riboflavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #356
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by riboflavin View Post
I finally was able to do a shake down with my D3 yesterday on a carpet. I was worried that a couple days ago tc-div said it was pretty hard to drive with front one-way but I figured i'd try with one-way anyway.

Well, I was actually surprised that it was so easy to drift even with stock 2.14 cs. my other chassis is tamiya vdf with 1.60 cs and 10.5t Novak and honestly the D3 with 2.14 cs and 6.5t motor feels as easy to drift as the vdf. Maybe it could be the more powerful motor. I was gonna lower the cs ratio before I tried it but now I probably will stick with stock 2.14 cs or actually go a bit higher since I feel pretty confident with it.

I added a tensioner for center belt but the belt was vibrating so much at full throttle and was still chewing the belt up a little so I did what ukionz did on page 22 and added spacers on the bottom of rear pulley holder and it seems to run quieter with less vibration at full throttle now.

I never tried my D3 with stock front spool diff so I don't know if it's actually better/easier to drive than having a one-way front. But in overall, I'm very satisfied with this new chassis.

what type of carpet are you running one and is the lay out a wide type of lay out

just want to know
td-civ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #357
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by td-civ View Post
what type of carpet are you running one and is the lay out a wide type of lay out

just want to know
I'm not sure what type of carpet it is (didn't even know there are different types of carpet until now. lol) but you can check out some pix of the track on facebook search for "all speed hobbies" and look under photos (sorry I can't post a link yet since I don't have enough posts here)

It is a decent sized track with a couple of big sweepers but they changed the lay out with lots of tight turns during the session yesterday and my d3 was very controllable in tight turns as well.
riboflavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #358
Tech Addict

Next on the list is to get an Idler gear to replace tensioner bearings to keep the belt from touching each other and spacers under the rear pulley mount and the alloy suspension mounts to decrease some of the toe in on the rear. Just replaced my center belt with a new one this one is a much better fit and it was easier to install than the original cause you only need to take out the front pulley shaft and one side of the rear shaft mount the belt doesn't get as stretched as when you install it from the kit

Last edited by pickled; 10-16-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #359
Tech Regular

Smile

[QUOTE=riboflavin;

I never tried my D3 with stock front spool diff so I don't know if it's actually better/easier to drive than having a one-way front. But in overall, I'm very satisfied with this new chassis.[/QUOTE]

good to hear that....I'm excited and can't wait for my order to come in from 3racing...broke my front belt and pulley was chewed through....can't wait to get the front one way and practice with that. My LHS has tight track carpet and I'm starting to get more comfortable with my 50:50 Zero S at the expense of my D3 CS being harder...so makes Zero S easier.

My shipment from 3racing is in New York..but I leave for vacation tomorrow...so I can't wait to get back and open my goodies!

That's a bad addiction when one can't wait to get back from vacation to open up RC parts!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #360
Tech Regular

Quote:
Next on the list is to get an Idler gear to replace tensioner bearings to keep the belt from touching each other and spacers under the rear pulley mount and the alloy suspension mounts to decrease some of the toe in on the rear. Just replaced my center belt with a new one this one is a much better fit and it was easier to install than the original cause you only need to take out the front pulley shaft and one side of the rear shaft mount the belt doesn't get as stretched as when you install it from the kit
How and where did you get idler gear? Can you post pics so we can see your setup and maybe do the same if it works good? I'm going to do the spacer mod as well to the rear mount. Can't wait for the hop up parts for the D3. I keep checking every day to find them available.

Don't order from HKS hobby...I finally spoke with someone and they will take your order and money even though they don't have the hopups in stock yet...and wait until they get them in...holding onto your money