Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2012 Ifmar Electric Onroad World - Holland >

2012 Ifmar Electric Onroad World - Holland

2012 Ifmar Electric Onroad World - Holland

Old 07-31-2012, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rocky8333
One thing isn't better than the other, its all feel. Hell, I'd like to have a stick radio but started using wheel and have been able to get better deals on them since. I personally think that using stick for throttle modulation and wheel for steering would be ideal, but that's the opposite of what is possible with my K.I.Y.
Stick for throttle and wheel for steering, we had that back in the 1970s!

But due to new racers coming from slot cars, they modified the transmitter by bolting a slot car trigger to the back so they could use the throttle they were used to, which is why we have trigger throttle wheel radios. I'm sure if r/c cars were starting now, we would all be using something like a video game controller.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rocky8333
One thing isn't better than the other, its all feel. Hell, I'd like to have a stick radio but started using wheel and have been able to get better deals on them since. I personally think that using stick for throttle modulation and wheel for steering would be ideal, but that's the opposite of what is possible with my K.I.Y.
Hi Dan
So You need one of these I guess
Old school Futaba
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Ifmar Electric Onroad World - Holland-futaba.jpg  
Old 07-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
no Jilles wouldn't be WC with Xray , the "team" of Tamiya is so well organised thay can plan what to do in every eventuallity , and thay discuss setups

The problem with Xray and Hudy they dont descuss anything as a team , they are all individuals and dont discuss set ups so much , Uwe said there is only one real "team" in the worlds and it was Tamiya and watching them it is true
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Rick makes a very valid point there. I was there only for touring car, and having read some of the stuff on line since i've been home, i'm not sure what I would have been thinking if I hadn't been there. That's not to say that the reporting is false, because it isn't, but it puts a very different slant on it if you're there.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Tech Rookie

no Jilles wouldn't be WC with Xray , the "team" of Tamiya is so well organised thay can plan what to do in every eventuallity , and thay discuss setups

The problem with Xray and Hudy they dont descuss anything as a team , they are all individuals and dont discuss set ups so much , Uwe said there is only one real "team" in the worlds and it was Tamiya and watching them it is true
Can i ask you how many major events you have been to, let`s say since the beginning of this year? I know you went to the ETS held at Apeldoorn but thats it. Your judging on your own experiance you had with Xray, probably the reason you switched to Kyosho.
The xray guys did work together alot on there setups, resulting in the win of Paul at the Pre worlds, or was that just luck? I have been to most of the major events and can assure that they were well preparing themselves, that it didn`t pay off had various reesons.
Working like and as a team does work, have you ever seen Marc take someone out like he did to Volker in the third and final main? Don`t get me wrong on this one ! I am not saying it was on purpose. All i want to say is that it was very conveniant that a tital contender was out. Or is that what you ment when you were saying, i quote "thay can plan what to do in every eventuallity".
I was less than 5 meters away from that particular chicane on Saturday and I can assure you, it`s not Marc`s normal way of doing.
All in all I think your findings are based on "so I heard" rather than facts.

Jilles by the way worked extremely hard to get this far, he was very close at times and therefor a well earnt victory.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:27 PM
Tech Rookie

Its about time for IFMAR to think about changing to a 8 minutes race format to see how good a driver is to manage tyres/motor/battery & most importantly driving consistency.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Some good points.

Tamiya is very strong at the International Level in terms of the Team program. It doesn't seem like Yokomo is too far behind. They both seem really strong in mentoring talent and keeping the talent in house. Develop rapidly.

In the US however, with no formal distributorship for Yokomo and no true pro-level race program for Tamiya - the story is much different. They both have loyal fan bases but have little chance to interact with International drivers with the exception of a few key events (Reedy, Snowbirds, IIC). The story used to be much different . Team programs are expensive and require a lot of guidance - the argument of ROI is not a winning one.

Stateside, our National level - the best team programs seem to be AE and honestly TOP. AE - always has the engineering, electronics and seasoned racers to work together. TOP usually has a big presence and work together to break down setups and test which results in a lot of A-mains. Remove the issue of travel - it is interesting dynamic to watch these hybrid teams (factory + B team) work together. They do a great job of connecting national caliber drivers with support drivers and hobbyists with often really strong results.

It will be interesting to see how CRC does this year with the new car and upcoming carpet season.

A well developed Team is hard to beat. Equally hard to assemble.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MDawson
Some good points.

Tamiya is very strong at the International Level in terms of the Team program. It doesn't seem like Yokomo is too far behind. They both seem really strong in mentoring talent and keeping the talent in house. Develop rapidly.

In the US however, with no formal distributorship for Yokomo and no true pro-level race program for Tamiya - the story is much different. They both have loyal fan bases but have little chance to interact with International drivers with the exception of a few key events (Reedy, Snowbirds, IIC). The story used to be much different . Team programs are expensive and require a lot of guidance - the argument of ROI is not a winning one.

Stateside, our National level - the best team programs seem to be AE and honestly TOP. AE - always has the engineering, electronics and seasoned racers to work together. TOP usually has a big presence and work together to break down setups and test which results in a lot of A-mains. Remove the issue of travel - it is interesting dynamic to watch these hybrid teams (factory + B team) work together. They do a great job of connecting national caliber drivers with support drivers and hobbyists with often really strong results.

It will be interesting to see how CRC does this year with the new car and upcoming carpet season.

A well developed Team is hard to beat. Equally hard to assemble.

I like this guy. But he ran away.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I like this guy. But he ran away.
I wasnt fast enough to run with the Team. I know the speech - can't beat them, join them OR move west!

Cya at IIC, not for tequila Sunday. I cant have two DNS in a week
Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I anticipate it going fairly well. The 12th scale team has operated very well for years. Getting the right drivers for the VBC car, and getting them with the program will be key. Max K, Dave Erlich, and Dumper are a pretty good start.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I wasnt fast enough to run with the Team. I know the speech - can't beat them, join them OR move west!

Cya at IIC, not for tequila Sunday. I cant have two DNS in a week
Code BLACK!