R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Product Line

I'm new and trying to understand all the chassis that Tamiya has in their line up but it is a little confusing. What are the major differences between the 416,417 and the TAO5, TA06 etc. Would all these models be suitable for vta or touring or are some of these model just for drifting?
slowmotion36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmotion36 View Post
I'm new and trying to understand all the chassis that Tamiya has in their line up but it is a little confusing. What are the major differences between the 416,417 and the TAO5, TA06 etc. Would all these models be suitable for vta or touring or are some of these model just for drifting?
Most of the line up for tamiya is meant for racing with the exception ta05 vdf and tt-01. Vdf is for the most part drifting and tt series are meant for beginners. I myself have a ta-06 and love from the moment I drove it. The 415 through 417 series are Tamiya's top of the line. Most of tamiya and other companies tc cars has the potential to be a drift car. It's just a matter of adjustments. If you buying for vta or touring go with ta05 or 06. I would recommend going to the track you plan on attending and ask around on what chassis they use. They can give you advices and starting points in order to prepare you at the track.
BadPanda818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I'm no expert but I think the way the tamiya cars are thought of:

416 last gen "Pro" car
417 current gen "Pro" car
TA05 last gen "Club Spec" car
TA06 current gen "Club Spec" car

Also, there's the shaft driven cars:
TT-01 current "Beginner" car / basher
TT-01D current drift version of the TT-01
TB-03 current shaft car but slowly getting phased out it seems

Not to say that u can't race a 416 or 417 in club-spec races but it seems like overkill. Mostly because the cost of the 4xx series versus the TA 0x series. Also, there's a drift version of the TA05 called the TA05VDF or TA05VDFII.
paul18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
You're making to much out of it. Your first concern is what your chosen "class" requires as far as the chassis is concerned. For example, 2 wheel drive or all wheel drive/ tub chassis or are carbon fiber allowed. The TRF cars (TRF416,TRf417) are the top of the line factory race chassis. The TA cars (TA05, TA06) are typically lower cost touring cars that can be upgraded to high levels.
Really depends on YOUR needs as to which one you might get. Then again, a used 416 or 417 is a great car that will do well in most any sportsman level racing. Personally, I've been racing VTA and GT for awhile and the TA05 is just a great choice. Parts are cheaper, it takes more abuse and it has more than enough performance for 25.5 or 21.5. Good luck with whatever choice you make. Tamiya is a great company.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
Tech Regular

TT-01 current "Beginner" car / basher / Cost controlled racing
Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the info. It makes it easier to understand what they offer now. It seems like there are alot of versions of the same chassis with just a different body style, at least for the TAO5, and TAO6. I'm basically just trying to look at all the options available for a VTA chassis from all the different manufacturers. Right now I'm leaning towards the Sakura Zero S or the Associated TC4 Club Car.
slowmotion36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Sakura and TC4 are both great cars. Like almost everyone will tell you.....always consider parts availability locally. If you have a good shop that you like to deal with and they sell parts for Associated and not for Tamiya or 3R....then the TC4 might be the best choice. But it's up to you. God knows buying from the internet isn't exactly hard these days. You've got 4 great cars on your list with the TA05, TA06, sakura S or TC4. Have Fun !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote