R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,112
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default Practical Guide to Touring car Settings

I decided a few weeks ago to start building a document that can help explain the practical uses and effects of changes on a touring car. I see so many questions from simple to complex in almost every thread, but most of them are very repetitive. I spent some time researching each concept in the document and also solicited input from numerous sources, as well as my own personal experiences. I tried to focus on the practical changes and stayed away from theory and physics as that is covered very well by many other people. I think it is great to understand the physics of roll center for example, but when it comes right down to it...people just want to know how to fix their problem and not need the level of detail required to complete their senior thesis.

I am sure that as with anything posted in these forums that some people will disagree with the concepts and how they are explained, but keep in mind that everyone's experience is different and this guide is meant to help people that may not have as firm of an understanding as someone else.

I hope people find this useful and helpful to understanding the concepts required to make their cars work better on the surface they drive it. If people like it I will continue to improve it over time as new tuning options become available. But for now...I think this will be a good start!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Touring car settings v1.1.pdf (392.3 KB, 1006 views)
__________________
Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | 2mm Designs

Last edited by artwork; 07-16-2012 at 02:47 PM.
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
NolanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westmont
Posts: 2,426
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Very cool quick guide.

~where is the part where aluminum shocks make it faster.......

~indicates sarcasm
__________________
Mod Touring Car
Mod 12th
Nitro TC
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Changed my life!
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Somewhere in Tornado Alley
Posts: 308
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Nice work! It does boil down a lot of stuff to make it easier to understand. I would like to see some illustrations or pictures to show the roll center adjustments. I realize they differ from car to car. Perhaps on a popular chassis would help.

Thanks!
nubie-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
NolanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westmont
Posts: 2,426
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubie-wan View Post
Nice work! It does boil down a lot of stuff to make it easier to understand. I would like to see some illustrations or pictures to show the roll center adjustments. I realize they differ from car to car. Perhaps on a popular chassis would help.

Thanks!
A popular chassis like a 2012 T3 pictured in the back round one may have certain access to.
__________________
Mod Touring Car
Mod 12th
Nitro TC
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
tr1kstanc3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 357
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for putting this together
__________________
☆ Joe Tran ☆
tr1kstanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
I decided a few weeks ago to start building a document that can help explain the practical uses and effects of changes on a touring car. I see so many questions from simple to complex in almost every thread, but most of them are very repetitive. I spent some time researching each concept in the document and also solicited input from numerous sources, as well as my own personal experiences. I tried to focus on the practical changes and stayed away from theory and physics as that is covered very well by many other people. I think it is great to understand the physics of roll center for example, but when it comes right down to it...people just want to know how to fix their problem and not need the level of detail required to complete their senior thesis.

I am sure that as with anything posted in these forums that some people will disagree with the concepts and how they are explained, but keep in mind that everyone's experience is different and this guide is meant to help people that may not have as firm of an understanding as someone else.

I hope people find this useful and helpful to understanding the concepts required to make their cars work better on the surface they drive it. If people like it I will continue to improve it over time as new tuning options become available. But for now...I think this will be a good start!
The writing in orange below the Rebound explanation is the same as the text for Damping.
Just in case..
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 318
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Art! This is extremely helpful!!
samsking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,126
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Changed my life!
Pretty sure Art changes everyone's life :P
__________________
Xray - RC America - Hudy - Apex RC - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - RC Mission America - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Tech Elite
 
bhambrent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: B'ham, AL.
Posts: 2,026
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Thanks man good stuff.
__________________
Half-A$$ Racing - Cooperhobbies.com - Hot Bodies D413 - OneLug Hobbies - Awesomatix - Thunder RC Raceway - SpeedKingz Racing "G SERIES"
bhambrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,112
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Pretty sure Art changes everyone's life :P
Oh snap Harbke in the house...must be summer break!
__________________
Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,112
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
The writing in orange below the Rebound explanation is the same as the text for Damping.
Just in case..
I will take a look I was cutting and pasting like a mad man

I got it fixed...Thanks
__________________
Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Tech Master
 
Tire Chunker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,241
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...p?prod_id=2381

The link is to the Xray setup book.

I carry the attached chart to the track when looking for tuning options.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf XRAY T2 Quick Reference Table-2.pdf (331.6 KB, 278 views)
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
Korey Harbke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 6,126
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwork View Post
Oh snap Harbke in the house...must be summer break!
I'm all done with college!!! I'm out on the job hunt now :/. You guys will have to deal with me again :P
__________________
Xray - RC America - Hudy - Apex RC - LRP - Protoform - AVID - 1Up Racing - Xenon - Xpert - Sanwa - RC Mission America - SpeedZombi - Slapmaster Tools - Turtlemaster Racing - Seattle RC Racers
Korey Harbke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

This is a great guide. If you ever decide to add to it, I'd like to see belt tension addressed and tire sidewall glueing.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:01 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net