R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default The most versatile TC chassis?

Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the RC hobby. I hear a lot of big names when it comes to the best TC brand. Tamiya, HB, AE, XRay, Mi4, and others.

I know that all of there brands are good. But my question is which brand should i stick to when it comes to:

1. easy setup
2. reliability
3. parts support
4. price - don't really mind if it's a bit expensive but good in the long run
5. future proof (?)

Honestly, I am in a dillema which brand I should stick to. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you and more power!
touringcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringcar View Post
I know that all of there brands are good. But my question is which brand should i stick to when it comes to:

1. easy setup No touring car is what I would call "easy" to set up. Some have a wider setup window than others though. Xray is pretty good in this respect.
2. reliability I'd say Xray is pretty good in this department as well, but everyone seems to have different perception of which cars are the most durable/reliable
3. parts support This is more of a regional thing. What is good for parts support in one city might be terrible in the next
4. price - don't really mind if it's a bit expensive but good in the long run Assc TC6.1, T.O.P. Photon EX, 3racing Sakura Xi. Those are the cheaper, but still very competitive cars
5. future proof (?) Nothing is really future proof, but there are many old chassis that are still competitive because the driver is by far the biggest factor.
My answers in Red
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to the RC hobby. I hear a lot of big names when it comes to the best TC brand. Tamiya, HB, AE, XRay, Mi4, and others.

1. easy setup
2. reliability
3. parts support
4. price - don't really mind if it's a bit expensive but good in the long run
5. future proof (?)

Honestly, I am in a dillema which brand I should stick to. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you and more power!
1. Depends how you define "easy" Older TC3's and TC4's have less adjustments so are "easier" to set up. Xray's have more adjustments so there are more options which can make it "easier" to set up.

2. I would say that durability is not a huge issue unless you are at the bottom end (Sprint 2, JL10...box stock, they are just not durable plastics) or unfortunately some of the Tamiya stuff. The TRF cars (415, 416, 417) come with very hard plastics which make them very consistent handling (and thus fast) cars, but it also makes them more fragile. Xray is known for their plastics durability, but you pay a premium for it.

3. Parts support as mentioned is totally based on where you live. In Atlanta, I have access to one of the 2 3Racing dealers in the US, and the largest Xray distributor in the country (and maybe other countries). Xray is probably number 1 at our track, with the 3Racing Sakura's not far behind as far as popularity. We have 2 or 3 TC6's total. When we went to Nashville earlier in the year, TC6's were everywhere, and most had never even heard of the Sakura. Check your LHS, your local tracks, and just as important, what the local racers are running.

4. Price is going to vary a lot. Xray, Tamiya TRF and Serpent at the upper end, Associated and Tamiya TA0X in the middle, 3Racing in the bottom. Parts pricing will go along with that as well. You get what you pay for to an extent, but ask around and see what the locals are running, that should be a heavier factor if you are less worried about price.

5. No such thing. Xray has a new car pretty much every year. Some things can be upgraded (you can convert a '10 or '11 to a '12), and others cannot. Fundamental TC design has not changed much, nor do I know of anything new on the horizon. The A700 was new, but is beyond pricey and parts support is spotty. As someone said, 10+ year old TC3's can still be competitive in the right hands. Parts support determines a cars longevity more then anything else.

Good luck!

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Hmmm... XRay has to be the most popular brand i guess...
I am assuming now that there is no "gold standard" when it comes to brand. I was (and still am) looking for a "household" name when it comes to brands.

What about the HB TCX? I have one of these but i noticed that it's fragile. I already broke a c-hub driving it an the spur gear holder as i was replacing the spur gear. should i just stay with this brand and continue hopping it up?

Last edited by touringcar; 07-10-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Get an AE TC3, put alot of hours into it at the track, parts are still easy to find, just stock up on suspension/steering stuff ect ect, once the car holds you back from tunning, get a clean used AE TC5, put in hours at the track, you'll fall in love with the feel of it. Than upgrade to something better.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Get an AE TC3, put alot of hours into it at the track, parts are still easy to find, just stock up on suspension/steering stuff ect ect, once the car holds you back from tunning, get a clean used AE TC5, put in hours at the track, you'll fall in love with the feel of it. Than upgrade to something better.
I've got nothing against that but I would rather start with a good chassis and learn the ropes so to speak.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I've got nothing against that but I would rather start with a good chassis and learn the ropes so to speak.
Who told you the TC3 isn't a good chassis? My vote goes to a TC5 than.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

yes sir. thank you sir!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
yes sir. thank you sir!
I'm just saying...get an older type chassis to learn and get the feeling of a track, makes no sence to jump islands and smack guard rails using a pro chassis...maybe even a Hot bodies cyclone S would be a great car, even a TC4. After one year of using an older less expensive chassis, you'll be ready for the sickest chassis on the market.

Just my .2 cents.

GoodLuck.