R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Dirt On Road?

We are looking at possibly building a new off road track and I am considering working out a layout that will have a route option with no jumps. We are going to do what larger tracks do where you have various islands and then using cones close off sections to determine the layout for the day. This way we can build a setup and not get bored and want to rebuild it a month or two later. We have been experimenting with some methods for prepping the track surface and have found a way to get a very smooth surface with almost no dust(without water) that is also durable. I was just wondering if others have tried such a thing? I know there are some treaded tires for touring cars but we can run slicks on out trucks and buggies so the TC should be able to also. The other thing I like about using dirt we can easily build camber and some elevation changes into the track. I am thinking we will have to have a Luguna Seca corkscrew replica, or try creating a section like Eau Rouge at Spa.

We will most likely have a 100'x100' area to work with and would do something like below.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
CR0SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The idea has intrigued me ever since I first saw a touring car and thought it looked like a fancy Custom Works Dominator.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Tech Master

With how buffed out off road tracks are now I see no reason why you cannot build a sweet on road course with dirt. The methods we have been working on this summer it is like you are working with concrete except it is dirt. The types of tracks you could build are endless. No more flat tracks, banked corners, rolls to load or unload the cars, slopes into and out of corners, it could add so much to the racing.

Visit my Youtube channel for HD R/C videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/DHCross1
Old 07-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The off-road crowd really just wants to race on carpet and still call it "dirt." At least tire wear on grippy carpet is way nicer than grippy dirt. But whatever, not my scene.

Anyway, let us know how it goes.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Tech Master

Well we decided not to build a new track. We have started on a on road layout within our existing track. With the combination of lots of tamping, wood glue, and very fine screened soil looks like things might work. Worked on a section tonight will have to see how it turns out in the morning.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
jks
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

They do it in fullsize pavement cars why not R/C.http://www.motorracingnetwork.com/Ra...uoin.aspx:nod:
Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Tech Master

Laid out the course today and did some work smoothing things and treating the surface. I think the track should be smooth enough for touring cars not sure about pan cars. Right now with my 2wd buggy it is a blast to drive. It is very fast and a ton of grip. The slight elevation changes and varying grade really makes for fun driving. Guess I need to get off RCtech and get my on road cars running.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

have you considered that maybe you are building a rally track? basically an off-road track with no jumps (or very small ones)...
Why not ask in the off-road forums too... those guys are the dirt experts.

If you'll be racing 1/10 touring cars consider switching to rally tires in them to improve traction. I've tried the hpi pirellis and they are a long lasting great all terrain tire.

Also, are there any small pebbles in there? If so, ride height might be an issue... Good thing is you can always do a full rally conversion, just get some larger shocks and get rid of the downstops.

good luck
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
Tech Master

No need for a rally car. The surface has been compacted(machine and hand), swept, troweled, and then sprayed down with wood glue. After spraying with the glue you can actually hose off the track and the water flows clear along the surface. It is every bit as hard as concrete and has a similar texture. My 2wd buggy running Proline Holeshot tires today had the tires go bald in less then half a battery pack that is how much grip the surface has. The goal here is a on road course you can actually build to have things similar to a 1:1 course, hills, banking, things of that nature. Not a flat plane that you lay a course out on.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
Tech Addict

looks great and really great idea, just wondering what the other two tracks are in the background?

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
Tech Master

The other tracks in the back ground is a full motocross track and a pump track and dirt jumps for mountain bikes.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Tech Master

Being lazy I got my F104 Exotek running today to try on the track. The touring car has no electronics at all so to much work to get it going. I was surprised how well the F1 worked on the track. I had to do some sweeping to get the last few rocks off the surface but after that it worked surprisingly well. It is a little bumpy for the F1 car but very drivable. I was running Tamiya foam tires and had very good grip maybe better then on asphalt. A touring car should work very well.

Here is a quick sample video from the track.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

never heard anyone using wood glue to compact a track, looks like it works... do you have any idea if it will withstand rain or how long would it last?

we were considering using something like these for a future track, it's used on the bmx tracks:
http://www.gorilla-snot.com/

How much wood glue do you actually use? wonder if it is cost effective.
Rufus2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #14
Tech Master

Wood glue and gorilla snot/soiltac are very similar. The areas of the pump track that have been sprayed are holding up very well and that was about 2 months ago and is used by mountain bikes. I was going to spray everything one more time before the winter to see how it does over the winter. the biggest challenge is getting things compacted so you do not get a compact layer that peals up off the dirt underneath.

I have been using a ratio of about 10:1 water to glue. The RC track so far has used about 3 gallons of glue at $14 a gallon.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #15
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sugar or oil. Both are cheap to buy. You plow the surface to a depth of 6 inches, wet down with sugar solution or oil, then roll with a roller to pack it down. You end up with a hard packed durable surface.

Back in the day, before environmental laws and such, we used to race dirt track motorcycles on sump oil tracks made as i explained above.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote