R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Default HELP! Problem with brushless motor

I have a new LRP X12 vector 17.5 motor. This is my first BL motor and I dont know much about them. The motor will not turn, but spins freely by hand.

I just got it new, so its never been ran or driven. First thing I noticed while programming the ESC was that the motor was warm. Motor was nuetral, no throttle or brake applied. Q1: Is it normal for a BL motor with power to it(using 2S lipo) to be warm before being ran???

When I tried applying throttle the motor turned/jerked for 1 second than stopped. If I give throttle again, the motor does nothing. It will not turn but beeps until I release throttle. I checked the drivetrain/gears for resistence and bounding, but everything turns freely. I reset everythig (ESC, radio, etc) and started over. Same thing happens. Pulled the throttle again and the motor got hot and started smoking. I checked all the connections and everything seemed OK. Took motor out of car, with throttle it will turn slowly then jam.(that rules out the drivetrain bounding)

Q2: Did I get a dud, or does it sound like user error?

Im scared I just bought an expensive paper weight. Ive taken the motor out the package, installed it and used it(at least tried to). So Im not sure tower will exchange or refund it.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you've let the smoke out I'd say its just a paper weight now...

Are you 100% sure you have the power cables in the right order?

Q1 is a no btw.
HR31 Skyline - 350Kw RB30DET, 1130kg and 255 wide R comp tyres... needs more traction!
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sounds like you had some solder between the tabs causing a short . thats why it was warm at set up .. doesnt take much ..
Old 07-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsta View Post
If you've let the smoke out I'd say its just a paper weight now...

Are you 100% sure you have the power cables in the right order?

Q1 is a no btw.
Yes, I had the motor and ESC soldered at the LHS. I questioned them about the connection pattern(they had 2 wires crossed). Instead of fixing it, they put connectors midway on the crossed wires so I could switch them if needed. Still skeptical I asked more questions. They told me it didnt matter(it didnt have to be ABC exactly), and that if the motor spun reversed to just switch around the two wires and it would work fine.
They told me the most that could happen if the cables were crossed is that the motor simply wouldnt run at all or it would just spin reversed.

Just to be make sure. I checked online for all possible ABC combinations between the motor and ESC that could work. I even read various forums on the topic. They all said the same so I thought the shop was telling the truth.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

FWIW

The shop crossed the A and C wires between the motor and ESC when they soldered it. Is it the pattern they used or the solder connections itself that fried the motor?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
They told me it didnt matter(it didnt have to be ABC exactly), and that if the motor spun reversed to just switch around the two wires and it would work fine.
They told me the most that could happen if the cables were crossed is that the motor simply wouldnt run at all or it would just spin reversed.
I don't think this is correct. Maybe for sensorless motors, but not for sensored. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the shop may owe you a new motor.

What speed control are you using? Did you connect the sensor cable?
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I don't think this is correct. Maybe for sensorless motors, but not for sensored. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the shop may owe you a new motor.

What speed control are you using? Did you connect the sensor cable?
LRP SPX

And yep it was connected.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, that ESC does not have a sensorless mode. It would definitely not work with the wiring crossed up. Go back to the shop, be polite, and hopefully they will take care of you.

Also, in future, it's generally a good idea to stop giving it throttle if there is any indication something is wrong. eg. not running, running slowly, getting hot, making noise, etc. These types of problems can usually be sorted without letting the smoke out
Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

You could also just correct the wiring and see if it works. Might still be ok.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Yeah, that ESC does not have a sensorless mode. It would definitely not work with the wiring crossed up. Go back to the shop, be polite, and hopefully they will take care of you.

Also, in future, it's generally a good idea to stop giving it throttle if there is any indication something is wrong. eg. not running, running slowly, getting hot, making noise, etc. These types of problems can usually be sorted without letting the smoke out
Got it. Was waiting for someone to bust my balls on that. The throttle I was giving it was part of the trouble shooting process while uh tracing the problem.

+1 to being polite. Im not a rude person. But I still dont think its going to happen. I mean, good luck getting them to own up to the mistake and replace the motor(or discount a new one) right? I dont think thats going to happen. I never have that kind of luck. I think Im just out a motor.

Edit: Oh yeah. Appreciate the help guys.

Last edited by nitrous36; 07-09-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous36 View Post
Got it. Was waiting for someone to bust my balls on that. The throttle I was giving it was part of the trouble shooting process while uh tracing the problem.

+1 to being polite. Im not a rude person. But I still dont think its going to happen. I mean, good luck getting them to own up to the mistake and replace the motor(or discount a new one) right? I dont think thats going to happen. I never have that kind of luck. I think Im just out a motor.

Edit: Oh yeah. Appreciate the help guys.
im a bit late, but if you still have the motor go into the hobby shop where it was done, ask to speak to the manager explain what happened and if the hobby shop has any credabality rhey will get you a new one. but manager is your best bet. i had an issue with a repair my lhs did and when i explained what happened they were kind and fixed the damage
Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #12
Tech Master

Sounds like your ESC needs to be Calibrated to your motor. Follow the Calibration steps on your ESC manual to do this. Installing new brushless is more sensitive, need calibration.. Calibration consist of ESC for Neutral, full throttle and Braking. Has to be done b4 using a program card.

Good Luck!! Have fun!!
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
Regional Moderator

The motor was repaired and taken care of by LRP. It tool about 2 weeks turn around time.