R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
as far as real lap times go, they all compared it to VRC. Kevin has already won.

but you know what is interesting............ the person who finnished 3rd i think.
Mustafa.......... he just ran the ETS round 6. Mustafa managed a TQ run and just missed out of making the big one with his S411 (after qualifying, mustafa sat in 11th). Mustafa was awarded " the one to watch " award. so indeed will be interesting to see where Kevin ends up.
He Tq'd a round when the top 3 heats all pretty much had an ice rink as a track.

Back on topic.

Paul L for the win.

Here's hoping Hara sticks it to them as well.

Walter Rc Hobby - Serpent 4X

Nosram - R1wurks - Sanwa - Hudy - Muchmore
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideMasteR View Post
It will be interesting to see where the VRC champ finishes with factory support !
I dont know Kevin but I imagine if he was that good he would already have full factory support.

Remember VRC is a Game. There are ways to get fast at that game that don't exisist in real rc. Including hitting escape to retry 400x to get one good run.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
as far as real lap times go, they all compared it to VRC. Kevin has already won.

but you know what is interesting............ the person who finnished 3rd i think.
Mustafa.......... he just ran the ETS round 6. Mustafa managed a TQ run and just missed out of making the big one with his S411 (after qualifying, mustafa sat in 11th). Mustafa was awarded " the one to watch " award. so indeed will be interesting to see where Kevin ends up.
taking nothing away from Mustafa , but he got lucky with that TQ run. well done by the way ;-)

i think Jilles will do it this year ;-)
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #19
Tech Adept

have to agree, i think Groskamp will be a force in this one

But the regulars will all be up there, Marc is always good on outdoor asphalt, Ronald has super pace on indoor and carpet
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I dont know Kevin but I imagine if he was that good he would already have full factory support.

Remember VRC is a Game. There are ways to get fast at that game that don't exisist in real rc. Including hitting escape to retry 400x to get one good run.
Hey you're giving away the secrets, lol. I'll be impressed if he makes the Bmain.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

One key factor that nobody has mentioned yet is the tire allocation rule. Because of the limited quantity of tires, the drivers who are able to get their setup and driving style to be fast, with minimal tire wear, will obviously prevail. Some of the more aggressive drivers, while undoubtedly posting fast laps, will suffer the most as their tires fall off.

I'm sure Jilles Groskamp will be in the final, as he is one of the most experienced at the MACH venue, as it is his 'local' track. I'd also expect the more of the usual crowd to be in the final; Volker, Rheinard, Wilck.

Lemieux definitely surprised everyone at the Warm Up race, as he seemed to adapt the quickest to the tire rule, and get the most from his tires. I also think that the Xray team have been working hard to develop their setups to be fast with minimal tire wear. I hope to see Alexander Hagberg in contention for the win, too.

I'm certain there will also be a new name or two in the final, as well as a few very well known drivers who fail to make the final, as this is always the case at a WC.

Best of luck to all of the American drivers that will be competing, including Rick Hohwart.

RC America / XRayUSA / Hudy / Motiv / Avid / Vannen Watches
J.Filipow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

"It's just a game"......lol

The thing about RC simulation compared to other forms of computer simulations is that if the creators of the "game" master the look, sounds, and feel (and reactions) realistically......then there is NO difference from real life at all.
Real life RC racing has no "physical feedback" besides what your eyes and ears (and maybe nose) experience from the drivers stand......its not like full scale auto racing....were in real life there is a "seat of the pants" feel that you cannot get from a computer (yet).

simulations have surpassed the "game" idea many years ago..... Nowadays they are great tools to practice and sharpen your "race craft".

That being said....... i think Kevin P. will do well........but we know what he is up against and to even make the B will be an amazing run.

But then to think.....he has done thousands of laps more than a lot of the drivers already......should be interesting.

Back on topic.....sry

Paul Lemieux.....for the win!
Krapp
Hara
Hayato
westendorfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendorfy View Post
The thing about RC simulation compared to other forms of computer simulations is that if the creators of the "game" master the look, sounds, and feel (and reactions) realistically......then there is NO difference from real life at all.
Sorry, but that simply isn't true.

You can "go for broke" in the simulation as many times as you want... and all you have to do is hit reset to try again.

In real life, you are piloting a $1500+ piece of machinery around the track. "Going for broke" can have much greater repercussions in real life... not only financial, but drivers must take into consideration how much time they have to repair their car before the next heat, the possibility of damaging their primary car beyond repair and having to resort to using an untested backup car, the possibility of bending/breaking a wheel when only a certain number of backups exist, the possibility of ruining an otherwise solid qualifying run just to take the TQ spot instead of settling for 2nd or 3rd, etc...

There is a certain level of subconscious restraint the manifests itself in real life, whether you realize it or not. Add to that the added pressure of being handed a factory funded ride at the biggest/most competitive on-road TC race in the world... and I would venture that there are significant differences between real life and the simulation.

That being said, I don't doubt that this fellow Kevin Pignotti has the ability to do well if all the stars align. Bryan Heitkotter(sp?) won the GT Academy scholarship here in the US, and he did very well in the actual races overseas(and the whole GT Academy endurance team, of whom Heitkotter was a part of, did very well overall)... granted, he was a multi-time national champion autocrosser prior to taking part in the GT Academy, so his inherent skill was already a given.
JamesL_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #24
Tech Apprentice

I'll have to say Marc Reinard...

He has an unmatched ability to pull off the impossible under the most intense pressure.

Or Volker.. But I guessed on Volker for the last WC, and the he ended as number 7 or something...

Everything can happen!

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Agreed with the differences but play station also had their gt5 competition and there were some good drivers pulled who run le mans series. All I will say is it could happen but at the same time the learning curve may be steep for him to pilot his way into the top 20. I'd be impressed if he was in the top 40.

GO PAUL!!!
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendorfy View Post
"It's just a game"......lol

Real life RC racing has no "physical feedback" besides what your eyes and ears (and maybe nose) experience from the drivers stand......its not like full scale auto racing....were in real life there is a "seat of the pants" feel that you cannot get from a computer (yet).

simulations have surpassed the "game" idea many years ago..... Nowadays they are great tools to practice and sharpen your "race craft".

That being said....... i think Kevin P. will do well........but we know what he is up against and to even make the B will be an amazing run.

But then to think.....he has done thousands of laps more than a lot of the drivers already......should be interesting.

Back on topic.....sry

Paul Lemieux.....for the win!
Krapp
Hara
Hayato
If VRC represents what a proper RC should drive like, then my "real" car is a pile of crap, but a much easier to drive, more predictable, and tuneable pile of crap
Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
He Tq'd a round when the top 3 heats all pretty much had an ice rink as a track.

Back on topic.

Paul L for the win.

Here's hoping Hara sticks it to them as well.
Sooo negative ! unfortunately this is one side to racing, call it luck, call it bad luck, things happen in racing that sometimes is out of ones control. to simply knock some one for it is wrong. this is a big part of a reason why im looking at giving RC away at the end of the year. i can only run EP here, but really cant be bothered wasting my money traveling around to be part of the knock fest that goes on event after event. so i really think after the Gas Nationals, im going to give in. cant be bothered with the Crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
taking nothing away from Mustafa , but he got lucky with that TQ run. well done by the way ;-)

i think Jilles will do it this year ;-)
Lucky ? yes i agree, but Mustafa is a young talent, who races Gas touring and EP touring, just lately he has had some great results. and just maybe he deserves the award he was given.

all i was trying to say , was i dont think VRC is a real insight to some ones pace at an event. and also agree wiht other comments that some care factor in your equipment comes into effect as well as tyres. But, talking offline to some other compettitors, they were at the time of the pre worlds, comparing lap times and so on. if i set up my real RC car like i did for the race to the worlds, i would be in really big trouble.

there is always what if in racing, some form of luck is also involved, i wish all compettitors all the best of luck, and all the 10 drivers in the Main, well anything can happen, and they all have a chance. Paul i believe will have a red hot crack, just the same as the other 9 drivers. but Paul is my Fav.
be nice to see another great down to earth Fun guy to have a win.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL_71 View Post
Sorry, but that simply isn't true.

You can "go for broke" in the simulation as many times as you want... and all you have to do is hit reset to try again.

In real life, you are piloting a $1500+ piece of machinery around the track. "Going for broke" can have much greater repercussions in real life... not only financial, but drivers must take into consideration how much time they have to repair their car before the next heat, the possibility of damaging their primary car beyond repair and having to resort to using an untested backup car, the possibility of bending/breaking a wheel when only a certain number of backups exist, the possibility of ruining an otherwise solid qualifying run just to take the TQ spot instead of settling for 2nd or 3rd, etc...

There is a certain level of subconscious restraint the manifests itself in real life, whether you realize it or not. Add to that the added pressure of being handed a factory funded ride at the biggest/most competitive on-road TC race in the world... and I would venture that there are significant differences between real life and the simulation.

That being said, I don't doubt that this fellow Kevin Pignotti has the ability to do well if all the stars align. Bryan Heitkotter(sp?) won the GT Academy scholarship here in the US, and he did very well in the actual races overseas(and the whole GT Academy endurance team, of whom Heitkotter was a part of, did very well overall)... granted, he was a multi-time national champion autocrosser prior to taking part in the GT Academy, so his inherent skill was already a given.
you missed my point....... I meant RC simulations are "the same"....because you are not in the car..... when your on the driver stand you are only "perceiving" what is going on...... which IS EXACTLY what is going on when you do it on a computer. It is the exact same muscles, nerves and mind reactions that are perceiving the same things that would be there in real life..... so in fact. yes it is the same thing......for rc racing ONLY though.

also......If you read up on Bryan (which i have from day one aswell ....you hear that he prefers "reals racing simulations" and ONLY bought a Playstaion when he heard you could win that prize........ Bryan has been "computer sim racing" long before the Playstions made it "popular"......... but like i said before....... Full scale auto sims are NOTHING like real life.....just ask ANY real life auto racer and they usually laugh when you ask them if it is similar..... (being in a race car is like fighting in a phone booth with explosions going of under your ass..... as compared to sitting at a comfy computer desk)

and when a RC pro attends a major event....braking their car....is the LAST thing they worry about.... esp after spending minimum a $2000 traveling, eating and sleeping for 5-6 days.....(and thats if its Domestic Race....X3 for International) If someone is thinking about breaking their car every race...... I suggest they take up jogging....i heard its cheap.

But you could say i a tad biased.......as i am developing a brand new RC Racing Simulation as i type this.......

So nevermind im just babbling. I only get like this when people take away from training on simulators.

Last edited by westendorfy; 07-11-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Paul Lemieux will shock the world.
Damn skippy.....
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
If VRC represents what a proper RC should drive like, then my "real" car is a pile of crap, but a much easier to drive, more predictable, and tuneable pile of crap
Currently VRC is the only available "representation" there is.........

So Im working very hard at changing that and giving racers a second choice.

GO PAUL!