Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Drag brake vs No Drag Brake >

Drag brake vs No Drag Brake

Drag brake vs No Drag Brake

Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Drag brake vs No Drag Brake

Hey guys i just started racing mod and i just want to get everyones opinion on what works best for them ....rite now im driving a 10.5 turn boosted and im using zero drag brake because i want to learn to drive without assists...but am i wasting my time and should i just learn to drive mod with drag?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I started with brushed motors with strong magnets, so when I went brushless, drag brake just felt "narmal". I don't like the feeling of a free wheel car at zero throttle. Everyone is different. Try zero and slowly increase it to where you like it...?
Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Like anything else, it's an option. I prefer about 15-20 percent drag brake and still grab a handful of throw brakes also. I tried more drag brake, but it would lock the car up in the turns. Less just didn't feel right. Definitely a learning curve coming from stock.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theatriks
Hey guys i just started racing mod and i just want to get everyones opinion on what works best for them ....rite now im driving a 10.5 turn boosted and im using zero drag brake because i want to learn to drive without assists...but am i wasting my time and should i just learn to drive mod with drag?
I would not consider drag brake as an assist, but as a tuning aid. It is a setting you can build in with your controller, just like dead band and throttle expo, and something that is determined by what feels right to each individual driver.

Mod does not require rolling the corners like slower classes do, and drag brake will help settle the car as you go into corners. I would personally have 10-20% to start, and then judge how it feels. I think I ended up at 5% on my TC, and not using any on the VTA. Drag brake usually makes it easier to drive a faster caras it will kick in faster then you can move the trigger to brakes.

Try it and see if you like it.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

in 17.5 and 13.5 I have drag brake. In mod I need to brake for corners so I don't run it.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by NolanP
in 17.5 and 13.5 I have drag brake. In mod I need to brake for corners so I don't run it.

Exact opposite for me.....
Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Espo
Exact opposite for me.....
I know Joe doesn't or didn't use it.

You didn't run any drag in 17.5?
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Tech Regular

I know Joe doesn't or didn't use it.

You didn't run any drag in 17.5?

you should know i don't care what anyone runs.....who tq'ed.....

and like i said "opposite"
Old 07-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just as has been said before, its all up to what feels right for you.

When I started running on-road, i ran a TON of drag brake. I slowly reduced it to where now, I dont run any. 17.5 to mod, doesnt matter, no drag brake at all.

However, I am a very point and shoot driver, and will handbrake 8 of 10 corners on about any layout, I just dont like the feel of an "auto-brake". I much prefer to control it myself.

Just play around with none, alot, some, and one will just feel right to you, then focus on that
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I tend to PnS as well. I like a little drag brake for the corners I roll, but tend to trail brake or push brake into almost every turn.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Espo
you should know i don't care what anyone runs.....who tq'ed.....

and like i said "opposite"
I know you don't care who runs what and thats fine. I'm just suprised and I guess I have questions but I will wait till Saturday.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Tech Regular

I know you don't care who runs what and thats fine. I'm just suprised and I guess I have questions but I will wait till Saturday.

I just simply answered your question and you came back with something someone else does.....

brake means slow.....slow in stock...not good.....
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Yeah, Nolan, WTF were you thinking?
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Yeah, Nolan, WTF were you thinking?
Obviously I wasn't. I can tell you that I didn't have anywhere near a setup where I could get close to making it around the track without brakes in general. Now that's changed but Espo I'm still gonna ask you a question on Saturday even if you tell me to f off. I'm not doubting anyone. It was more of a surprise.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Obviously I wasn't. I can tell you that I didn't have anywhere near a setup where I could get close to making it around the track without brakes in general. Now that's changed but Espo I'm still gonna ask you a question on Saturday even if you tell me to f off. I'm not doubting anyone. It was more of a surprise.

You really should think before you post.....nobody is going to tell you to f off..
easy there charlie......I'm just saying that in stock..(17.5 13.5) is that you should be able to get your car to turn w/out brakes.....You know that you can ask me anything you want (Saturday,Sunday,Monday) any day and get the help you desire....so lets start by taking all the drag brake out and lets start getting fast.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.