R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2005, 09:49 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer

For those of us who have NO mini-z racing experience....can you guy's make some suggestions for good all around hop ups??

Get bearings and a decent ball diff first off. The Kyosho made ball diff is the best.

Then get a carbon h-plate or O-plate.
Stick with the kyosho/square/gpm brands and you can't go wrong.

These cars are fun when it's raining outside and you can't run your 1:10.
Phenochilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:42 AM   #32
Tech Initiate

King pins from Kypsho or 3 racing will make the front suspension moves smoothly!

You can keep the cost down by using the gear diff with some AE black grease pack in it...

Also the damper plate system from Atomic is great too! See pic..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ar53_5.jpg (64.2 KB, 104 views)
Dave2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:43 AM   #33
Tech Initiate

another one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ar53b_4.jpg (121.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-05-2005, 02:19 AM   #34
Tech Adept

KINGPINS: just file it with a very fine sandpaper just enough to peel or get the black paint out. it works fine.

also chechk out pro-z.com its a wicked chasis.
WARPSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:42 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The Pro Z is hot. Known about it for some time but at this point it's way above my skill level. Has anyone seen the new ESC by Robitronics?? It's made for small scale and fits very well in the
Pro-Z chassis. I still know very little about working with the Mini-Z electronics.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:33 PM   #36
Tech Addict

Default mega Zs

I have mixed feelings about all these super upgrades for mini-z.

I can see the bearings, ball diff, xspeed motor(or any motor which does not require FET upgrade or poses a risk of burning out the electronics), and a selection front springs and h-bars. A long as you do not buy the kyosho brand ball diff you can keep th cost of these upgrades in the $40 range.

After those upgrades the cost goes way up and the benifit just a little.

One of the virtues of mini-z class is you can get their top car the MR-02 with a quality radio for $99. All you really need is some batterys and a charger.

------------------------------------------------------------
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Al you realy need for hop-ups are ballbearings (Duh) and the carbon H plates. Balldiff on these cars are highly overrated. I won our national championship (6 races) with just these hop-ups and an Xspeed motor.

Regards
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Default To Hardriven

"All you realy need for hop-ups are ballbearings (Duh) and the carbon H plates. Balldiff on these cars are highly overrated. I won our national championship (6 races) with just these hop-ups and an Xspeed motor."

If I understand you then, a lot of these other so called hop ups really do not help that much.

Are there any mods you do directly to the car, i.e. not parts by cutting sanding dremeling, etc.
I assume matching tire to surface is important.

In Belgium, what size tracks do the race on. Are the championships on RCP or carpet? What classes do they run?

Any driving or setup tips for us?
Thanks,
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 04:30 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Default Re: To Hardriven

Quote:
Originally posted by imjonah
"
If I understand you then, a lot of these other so called hop ups really do not help that much.

Are there any mods you do directly to the car, i.e. not parts by cutting sanding dremeling, etc.
I assume matching tire to surface is important.

In Belgium, what size tracks do the race on. Are the championships on RCP or carpet? What classes do they run?

Any driving or setup tips for us?
Thanks,
We ran all 6 races on carpet wich looked like Ozite. Seeing that the rules stated that we were only alowed to use Kyosho parts and upgrades, we used Kysho tires. I used the same tires for all 6 races, 40 front slick, 30 rear slick. Medium or soft H-bar (changed this to soft when it got colder)
3 classes were run, F1, MR01 & MR02. I ran all 6 in MR01 en the 2 last in MR02 aswell. For all 6 races the MR01 were faster then the MR02!? Even when i ran both classes i was still faster with the MR01. I think this is due to the fact that the MR01 is a bit more agile. The tracks were all very technical with lots of short corners. The size differed from 12x6 meters to 8x5 meters. Width of the tracks were set at 60cm (2ft).
Setup wise all i did was polish the kingpins to have the front suspension move more freely.

For the first 5 races we ran heats of 20 minutes wich all counted on a set raceday to get the raceresult. For the last race we had heats of 45 minutes. It was a fun season were we (elektric guys) got to race people (gas guys) we never raced before. It was a bit of "best of both worlds". Having long heats like nitro races without the noise and stench of nitro racing.

Driving tips; Don't overdrive the car or it'll tractionroll. Just run smooth and stay calm.

Regards
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:23 PM   #40
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave2004
King pins from Kypsho or 3 racing will make the front suspension moves smoothly!

You can keep the cost down by using the gear diff with some AE black grease pack in it...

Also the damper plate system from Atomic is great too! See pic..
Dave can you find me a pic of this car with the damper plate together with the center shock. I want to see how they mount together! Please.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:09 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Anybody have the web address for Atomic ?? Some dealer sites don't have pics of the items so I'm hoping I can reference to the Atomic site. Thanks.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #42
Tech Initiate

speedxl: I can't find any other pics about that setup but basically you mount the center shock as instructions except it mounts on top of the damper plate on the motor mount...

This setting helps alot on high traction surface and eliminates all of the bouncness at the rear...

Evoracer : www.rcatomic.com or www.egrracing.com
Old 03-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #43
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave2004
speedxl: I can't find any other pics about that setup but basically you mount the center shock as instructions except it mounts on top of the damper plate on the motor mount...

This setting helps alot on high traction surface and eliminates all of the bouncness at the rear...

Evoracer : www.rcatomic.com or www.egrracing.com
I have the atomic dampner sys. I just wanted to see it mounted with a shock like the pic you posted earlier!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #44
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Quote:
Originally posted by Evoracer
Anybody have the web address for Atomic ?? Some dealer sites don't have pics of the items so I'm hoping I can reference to the Atomic site. Thanks.
For Atomic, just get it from http://www.egrmart.com All of the Atomic stuff comes from EGR anyways.

For the top shock/damper combo you need the Atomic aluminum shock mount. It raises the mount point so everything clears.
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #45
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: To Hardriven

Quote:
Originally posted by imjonah
"All you realy need for hop-ups are ballbearings (Duh) and the carbon H plates. Balldiff on these cars are highly overrated. I won our national championship (6 races) with just these hop-ups and an Xspeed motor."
hey all, i put grease in my gear diff and what a change that made, still running circles around those with ball diffs,

BIG DAVE
blue hornet. is offline   Reply With Quote