R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2005, 11:22 PM   #31
Tech Master

Hi Pat

I think its great what you are doing!

No for your tunr to help me lol

After i charge my packs at 5.5-6amp for stock how do you discharge the pack after the race?

Do you place it on a tray to drain the rest of the mah or use a charger to dicharge the pack?

I was looking at the Team Much more cell master but it only has 10amp discharge. How would you rate this charger?

Would you recommend a tray instead of using the discharge on charger?

If a tray what amp dis would you recommend? 20 or 30amp dis?

Also would you know much about the Novak Smart Tray?

Sorry for all the Qs just started out in Ep racing

Thanks Pat
TRAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:41 PM   #32
Tech Rookie

Default Re: discharger

Quote:
Originally posted by tectron
hey pat, you said you can build your own discharger , is it cheaper to build it yourself, if so , what resistors would i need .would i need bulbs too, thanks
looks like pro4capece had it all covered. thanks for filling in while i was gone. all helpful tips are welcomed here.

Quote:
Originally posted by JKA
Pat...

What purpose is served by the harder outer ring of foam on multiple shore foam tires like the TRC Plaid compounds?

How will lowering the rear rollcenter in relationship to the front rollcenter affect the steering response on my TC?

What are the benefits of harder springs and lower rollcenters versus softer springs and rollcenters closer to CG?

Thanks in advance.
for some reason i feel like i'm being quized. i can't answer your first question since i only run rubber tires on asphalt. to answer your second question regarding lowering rollcenters, this is my understanding;

assuming your car is neutral, in this scenario meaning your car is predictable, when you lower rollcenters your creating more bite/traction on your car. lets say you leave your rear end the same and lower your front rollcenter you should get more traction up from creating more steering. one way to do this is by lowering your suspension mount. inveresly if you raise your rear suspension mounts lets say by 6mm this will raise the rear rollcenter which will free up the rear of your tc. assuming the track condition is the same as what was previously stated above, if you put stiffer springs on a high bite track, your car will produce less body role but will mostlikely be quicker around the track due to the amount of traction. if you are in the same track and you put a softer setup, you will get more body role which might not produce a faster laptime if you're tires are scrubbing speed, and might cause your car to traction role. this is a really tricky question which cannot be answered unless you are in a track and actually seeing/feeling what your car is doing.

please correct me if i'm wrong. i'm open to new ideas. remember this is all theory. even with a bad car, in the right hands it can look like a winner.
patbrosnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:44 AM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Where do you get SMC is a small company? They match more batteries than pretty much everyone except orion or trinity.....and thats debateable....while they don't do anything but batteries....they still are among the biggest out there....

And obiviously their batteries work.....

In the last 12 months, they've won Cleveland, Snowbirds, Carpet Nats, and Novak Race...while fairing well at other major races....thats the 4 biggest carpet races.....

Later EddieO
Old 02-24-2005, 05:08 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
Where do you get SMC is a small company? They match more batteries than pretty much everyone except orion or trinity.....and thats debateable....while they don't do anything but batteries....they still are among the biggest out there....

And obiviously their batteries work.....

In the last 12 months, they've won Cleveland, Snowbirds, Carpet Nats, and Novak Race...while fairing well at other major races....thats the 4 biggest carpet races.....

Later EddieO
Very true. And they are the SOLE distributer of Intellect Cells. IB wouldn't let a "small" company take on that role.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:11 AM   #35
Tech Regular

Are they the distributor of IB cells for the whole planet, or just the US market?
caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:54 AM   #36
JKA
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: discharger

Quote:
Originally posted by patbrosnon
for some reason i feel like i'm being quized.
Just wanting another opinion concerning 3 questions for which I've yet to find consistent responses.

Quote:
Originally posted by patbrosnon
if you put stiffer springs on a high bite track, your car will produce less body role but will mostlikely be quicker around the track due to the amount of traction. if you are in the same track and you put a softer setup, you will get more body role which might not produce a faster laptime if you're tires are scrubbing speed, and might cause your car to traction role. this is a really tricky question which cannot be answered unless you are in a track and actually seeing/feeling what your car is doing.
Yes... I actually was talking about the conflicint changes of Rollcenter and spring weight. I read that to keep similar weight transfer you can have softer springs but a higher roll center with differeng link locations that feels the same as a low roll center stiff spring setup... the change however improved tire wear.

Thanks for the answers.
JKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:08 AM   #37
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Pat- I think it's great that you are helping with answering questions. Thank you for your time.

On the batteries thing- I've been involved in some battery testing as of late and I understand your battery thinking has a little "old school" hint to it. However, there are reasons for the charging methods of late- specifically SMC's methods which are the norm.

6A charging- the newer NiMH cells respond very well to 6A charging and there is no degredation of discharge quality @ 6As.

.050 cutoff- one of the reasons for the .050 cutoff is to get a little heat IN the batteries. Just recently we are finding that the NiMH cells actually charge and perfom better with a little heat in them. I know the thinking has always been that heat is the enemy, but the truth is excessive heat is actually the enemy. Warmth is a good thing.

Dead shorting- we all agree dead shorting can be both beneficial or detrimental to a battery pack. Mike D was exactly correct that dead shorting packs that weren't trained with dead shorting is a BAD idea. However, if you begin dead shorting a pack it will improve the pack 95% of the time. The rest of the time it will at least stay the same with some amount of runtime loss. This is especially true for packs matched at 35 amps because the weaker cells that normally cause a loss in performance from dead shorting have already been weeded out. One note- if you begin dead shorting a new pack, you MUST continue to do so because4 if you stop, it will hurt the pack and the pack will usually resort back to the number that can be expected from virgin cells- mostly the AIR.

One last thing to mention- it is a proven fact that NiMH cells will not keep their performance as long as the NiCDs would. You can do some battery chemistry research to find this info. This is why Danny suggests only buying a few packs as a time and running them until they begin to lose performance, then replacing them and using the old ones for practice. This "rotation" idea actually suggests that racers buy LESS packs at a time which is in direct opposition to what you would think Danny would want racers to do, but his first aganda is to provide the best product and best customer support for racers even if it means suggesting they buy LESS products.

Disclaimer- NO I am NOT sponsored by SMC. In fact, I pay the same prices as anyone else for his products and I do NOT get special packs at big races unless I beg or borrow one from a REAL sponsored driver...LOL In other words, I suck, but I know a good product when I see one.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:15 PM   #38
Tech Rookie

hey pat , you got pm
tectron is offline   Reply With Quote