R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2005, 03:56 PM   #16
Tech Adept

It is certainly possible to retrofit an existing controller with the new electronics, that is what was done for the first version. To get their support for doing it is rather unlikely in my experience. I have contacted one, btw. Having been around the block quite a few times, established players goals are usually to learn all they can about your designs and stretch out negotiations as long as possible to give them time for their own internal developments to come to market.

There are real design changes possible once you eliminate the need for a very top-heavy long antenna coming out the top of a controller, and the need for such a large battery array. Our controller runs on a single 9v battery for weeks, even months.
I have had a few people use the small unit, they have liked it, although these
are folks open to new things. Others that are top drivers scoff at basically anything different from what they have already..

My opinion has been it is also better to have something that is uniquely different to highlight the difference over existing systems. However, with the Spektrum patch on top of existing systems, you have essentially the same unit when running a non-75Mhz system, so perhaps now the uniqueness factor is not as relevant.
Essentially all the functionality of an M8 is in there. One guy with the new Futaba unit, which has more dials, buttons and knobs than a space station, which does what?? He's not sure.

btw, we could also produce a radio module for an M8 like spektrum. It was my understanding this was not possible with FCC rules without having Sanwa's cooperation, as Novak had.
Apparantly not required, as Sanwa knew nothing of spektrum, and FCC certification is not even specific to r/c,
as I mentioned before, spektrum unit is a
WirelessUSB
based module. that has a max speed of 62.5K. Our system operates at more than 4 times that speed, and in fact can go even faster with shorter range.
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well if some oval guys have done it ......it's gotta make a difference my car with the spektrum with no antenna on the outside handles and runs the exact same laptimes as with my normal 8 inch antenna sticking out.........believe me I understand the physics of it with the leverage and all......it's miniscule period.....we all have our opinions

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:40 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Well Joe, I would tend to agree the effects of the antenna are minimal, but for the hardcore that might say the microwave system is for whimps who don't know how to change crystals, the performance improvement might make the system worthy.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

anyone who mocks a microwave system.. . well. . . wave to them as they're standing waiting for their freq clip!

I do have to tell ya, the design of the controller did turn me off a bit, but I figured it was prototype.

I like the big screen.
I don't mind the tape on the handle.

But I have big mitts and have tried various controllers (various video games, etc - in fact I had made my own for games on Apple II's and Atari 2600's way back). I really don't like the wheel "below" my left hand. . . It's more natural for me to have my right hand up and left hand down.

But, as far as buttons - only buttons that I think would be needed would be:

Trims (for quick adj. . .)
Up/Menu/Down

Those are all that I need!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:12 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

You've gotta do something with the aethitic appeal of that transmitter. It looks so toy like!
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:06 PM   #21
Tech Adept

I gather a Carbon Fiber case is a good idea.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:09 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nrctc3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nrctc3

Just as long as it doesnt look so toy like.
Nrctc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:13 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by nimble
I gather a Carbon Fiber case is a good idea.
Okay I'll be the first to say (and this is blunt) It doesn't matter if it was CF or solid gold, I wouldn't buy it. It's not ergonomic (I'll admit looking but looks are usually pretyt accurate), and by that we've all grown up with a certain "feel" radio. It also looks like it's somebodies science project. If I'm buy any "new" radio it better look awesome, and that's purely on the look side. I honestly haven't read the "technology" advantage it will have, but 150' isn't going to work for any racer or non-racer. If you tell me you have 150' range I'd guess that's the fringe and the usuable range to be safe would be 10-20% less.

I don't doubt you have the knowledge of the system, but that's where the difference between somebody that may be good at the technical part and not the design/style.

Last edited by DerekB; 02-24-2005 at 09:28 PM.
DerekB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #24
Tech Master

oops quote instead of edit.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Derek, fair enough. Would you trade in your M8 for another one with transplanted electronics?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #26
Tech Master

You mean a new module? Of course. I can't understand why more radios haven't tried to copy the geometry of the M8. It just feels right. I use a KO a lot and it feels good, but then I pick up the M8 and it feels right.

Ergonomics is a big factor in high end radios.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:03 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Not just the radio module like the spektrum, but all the electronics. A big limitation of a radio module is the driver interface knows nothing about the radio, it can't config it, nor provide any info back. The gas guys really want to have an engine temp monitor so they don't burn up the motors while running them.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:06 AM   #28
Tech Adept

Default Top Speeds

I've been doing some calculations on response time. I'm curious to know what kind of top speeds these cars are doing.

Some simple math shows that each MPH in speed translates into a distance of .0176 inches each millisecond.
So at 30MPH, a 20ms period allows the car to travel 10.56 inches. If a servo update was missed during this period,
the car could travel over 21-inches before the next steering update.

If these cars hit 30mph at the end of a straight, it seems getting a little interference would cause a fairly significant overshoot of the turn.
Or likewise, applying the brakes would also be delayed by 10-20 inches of distance.

Now I know some gas cars claim they can hit 60+mph, which at those speeds, these figures are doubled,
but how many tracks actually have cars going this fast?
Old 02-26-2005, 12:25 AM   #29
Tech Rookie

From the Spektrum website:

"What type of telemetry will be available?
The first optional telemetry module will include the ability to monitor Real-time engine temperature, engine rpm, speed in mph or kph, battery voltage, signal strength and individual lap times. We hope have this telemetry module available in early spring."
thrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 01:23 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Thrust, I'm not sure I understand your post. Is a telemetry capability important to you? Is there specific data you want to see from the car?
A current flow measurement seems like a useful item to check battery load and performance.

The Nimble Motorsports DART microwave system has 3 channels of Analog input that are sent back to the handheld unit. A $10 temp sensor is a direct input to one of those channels.