R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-13-2002, 02:00 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Thumbs up Foam tyres over rubber?????

ay,
whats better and why ?
does foam have more grip to start than rubber??
or is it the other way around???
is rubber worth the price???
l8er

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 02:19 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Foams are more consistant
Foams allow you to fine tune your roll-out and ride height
Foams aren't effected as much by the temperature
Foams take away the perfect insert search
one race with improper chamber settings won't trash a det of foams

For me foams are the way to go, and yes I have had the right set of foams outlast the right rubber tires

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:40 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Geetoo Send a message via Yahoo to Geetoo

For me, whats nice about rubber the wear lasts a little longer, tire diameter has minimal change and leaves the rest with more equal level of racing. Nicer to look at and more realistic.
www.team-durango.com
www.actionhobbiesonline.net
Geetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 02:09 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Geetoo,

Rubber tires may last longer, but after the first two runs they're never on the same pace again. Even though they will last a long time, what good are they if a new set is several tenths per lap faster?

Foams don't get any slower from the time they're new until the time they're too small to run... From first run to last they jsut work the same.

I just ran a Trinity series race at Englishtown, NJ tonight, and the Trinity series is on foams. After tonight's experience I will never race any R/C car on rubber again.

Trips
Old 07-14-2002, 03:23 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

AMEN Trips!!!
Foams are the way to go. The only thing you have to worry about is adjusting your gearing as they wear down. Laptimes will stay the same. I hate rubber tires
Sigearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 06:23 AM   #6
Tech Regular

I think with foams you get best consistency and the overall grip is much higher, I guess I am also a foam convert. After a race meeting the other day with rubbers, I ask a friend to lend me a set of his worst foams to try, and boy oh boy did they work!!! I was lapping consistantly faster and what I found most is that my car with foams is much more forgiving when it loses its rear, wile with rubber it can snap out with foams the car seems to give you pleanty of notice and it is also difficult to over correct the car as with rubbers....

I agree the tyre diameter is a pain... but I run 64 dp and I have a good set of pinions to cope with that.... but look on the downs side of rubber tyres... glue in the wrong insert and you have just pour money doen the drain...

By the way, when it gets really hot... the foam runners here often trashes the rubber runners....
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 08:31 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

GEETOO- Yeah every car I see on the street has big globs of glue on the wheels and tire sidewalls, has big blacktop scratches accross the roof, and nascar style tire marks down the door panels. Not to mention most cars have large posts sticking thru the hood and rear windsheikd or decklid that have giant pins to hold the body panels on....... don't even get me started about seeing the drivetrain thru the windows.....LOL

Realistic doesn't mean preformance, if I want realistic then I will build a static model....

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 08:38 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

ive only ran rubber once and my foams are heaps better!!
RCinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 09:03 AM   #9
Tech Master

Question: Can foams be run on events hosted by say ifmar, norcca, jmrca? I do not live over there so I don't know. But I do know the upcoming reedy internationals at indonesia is a rubber only event. Thanks!
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 09:21 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to slowhand

ISTC IFMAR does not allow foam tires and neither is JMRCA. Before the introduction of the new generation of rubber tires some 6 years ago, I believed every one run foam tires on their EP touring cars. Foam is the way to go for GP cars (touring/ racing, all scales), but I dont think EP touring would "go back" to run foam again.
slowhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 10:03 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Ask any driver at the last IFMAR EP touring worlds what they thought about the rubber pronblems there. Foam all the way!!
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 12:39 PM   #12
Tech Adept

I think foams are deffinatly the way to go on carpet....but on asphalt i just coudnt get them to work. I think most of the tracks in the UK are to dusty to get foams to work, one lap and there covered in dust and next to useless.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:01 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ian,

There are some cases where rubber will hook up better than foam. Concrete tracks or dusty asphalt tracks tend to favor rubber.

In my opinion, the rules should allow racers to select foam or rubber, whichever they prefer.

Trips
Old 07-14-2002, 07:42 PM   #14
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Ian - I run 1/10th GTP and we have the dust problem every time we race. We actually have to wait for the sedans to clean the track for us! We run very soft foams (green/25-28) which suck up the dust like vacuums. However, after a goodly number of sedans have run and gotten rid of the dust in the groove, we absolutely kick butt.

At the Norrca Nats (Norrca allows foams on gas cars, anyway) the same thing happened and it affected my NTC-3 with ppls close to the same as with my 10L2 with greens. . .

Anyway, I like foams better too, just wish they wouldn't chunk and wish I could run them on my elec sedan. . .
Old 07-14-2002, 08:12 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not this discussion again!! I used to hate foams tires. But then I ran them on my Touring Car. What a difference!! Agree'd that foams might not work an all conditions. But finding the right combo helps out alot. We race in a parking lot and Foams didn't seem to hook up until I found the right combo. Purples front/Magenta's rear. Anyways, I'm pretty consistant on the track. With my exerience at this track, I've seen .5 sec a lap faster with Foams vs. Rubber. Could have been the day (to different days) But that's what I saw. One week I could do 18 laps with Foams. Next week was 17 laps with Rubbers. Anyways, Foams are a good way to go. I just hate it if I chunk one though. And as for gearing as they wear down, just use a Roll Out formula. Just my 2... L8R
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote