R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-16-2002, 11:34 PM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Yeah, but stay out of a skirt!

It's the right attitude! At SoCal, our Pro10 class is incredibly competitive because we all share the tweaks for the individual track layouts. . . we try to get each other to drive better so we can compete better.

And we grab newbies quick and get them set up as well as they can get - more racers, better races, better hobby!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:09 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Boomer- The schumacher mini pins and rally tyres are not off road tyres, they are made for Touring Cars racing indoors on carpet. We race without additive and I can assure you they leave foams for dead. I use the yellow compound as it lasts well compared to the softer compounds. These tyres are totally legal in NZ.

I think you are talking about using additive on the tyres and therefore it is not really the tyre which is making the car stick to the track but it is the additive. In NZ you are not allowed to use additive so it is the tyre itself which gives the car traction. Also your track would have additive on it.

Last edited by ixlr8nz; 07-17-2002 at 01:18 AM.
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:52 AM   #33
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ixlr8nz
Boomer- The schumacher mini pins and rally tyres are not off road tyres, they are made for Touring Cars racing indoors on carpet. We race without additive and I can assure you they leave foams for dead. I use the yellow compound as it lasts well compared to the softer compounds. These tyres are totally legal in NZ.

I think you are talking about using additive on the tyres and therefore it is not really the tyre which is making the car stick to the track but it is the additive. In NZ you are not allowed to use additive so it is the tyre itself which gives the car traction. Also your track would have additive on it.
The times I ran on carpet, I did not use any sauce, believe me or no. At HotRod's (outdoor asphalt) I sometimes do, sometimes don't use sunscreen. When I am allowed to use sauce, I usually do, but if I am not, I don't and I still have traction.

Most tracks have something on them - either it's strictly rubber or there will be some kind of soda water or VHT added to the track. So, having our additive added to the track, well, it really benefits everybody including the sedans.

I don't know what kind of tire you're talking about then - when you say "mini pins and rally block tyres for touring cars" that sounds like off-road tires for touring cars to make them into rally cars. If so, they are very likely too big in diameter to be any more legal than additives would be (were they disallowed), at least around here.

I still would love to see your pins take on my greens, whites and yellows. . .
Old 07-17-2002, 12:30 PM   #34
Tech Master

Boomer

I found that greys tend to slide more on carpet where green tends to dig in more. The result is that the car wants to do 90 degree turns in hairpins and come almost to a stop when making the turn. Greys slide and makes the turn much smoother. Over the course of a lap, the greys are much faster on carpet. I use green on asphalt where you often need a tire to dig in more. On really high grip asphalt tracks, the greys slide around and make the car faster too. This has been my experience, anyways. As far as the sidewalls go, that's what tire truers are for!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 05:17 PM   #35
Tech Elite

And that's why I have black crap in the cracks of my teeth!

I'm actually experimenting with the compounds on my pro10 trying to tune the car, a bit, with the tires according to the layout of the track that week (it is SUPPOSED to change each week. . .)

Anyway, I don't have a carpet track within 250 miles, so I don't get to experiment with carpet. It's a real bummer.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:22 PM   #36
Tech Addict

These mini pin tyres are exactly the same diameter as your average touring car rubber tyre. They come 25mm wide and fit your standard touring car wheels. I can tell you that in the Pro Stock class that I race in, not a single person uses foams anymore, and that with these tyres I have won the last 5 rounds of our club championship.
Old 07-17-2002, 11:40 PM   #37
Tech Addict

What the difference between grey and green? I thought greys would be softer and therefore grip more. What a bout black how many shore are these?
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2002, 11:31 AM   #38
Tech Master

Boomer

Yeah, and black dust all over everything else! All my toolboxes, tools, parts bins and just about everything else RC of mine has it all over it from truing tires at the track!

Jimmyd

It's the type of foam material that is used. Green has a high amount of rubber in it. It's soft and grippy. Grey has less or maybe doesn't have rubber in it at all (I'm not sure.) Anyways, they are soft, but not as grippy. The result on a high bite track is that the greys tend to break loose and allow you to slide the backend around a turn which allows you to carry more speed through the turn and into the next complex. Greens don't break loose at all on a high grip track and you end up scrubbing a lot of speed off in turns which slows you down considerably. I use pinks or greens on medium or low grip asphalt and white or grey on carpet and high grip asphalt. Boomer and I are referring to pancars, so I'm not sure what works best on sedan.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 08:17 PM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Should I be using medium front and soft rear or the other way around? I have seen some ppl running medium front and hard rear... any comments?
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:03 AM   #40
Tech Addict

I'm refering to pancars too My greens whether its corally or TRC does not feel grippy to the touch without traction compound unlike my pinks and goldstars(high rubber).

If the rear end doesnt slide then I dont think it should cause the car to lose speed. What you may be experiencing is the sudden loss of traction on the green tires that causes the car to lose speed. All it takes is a small slide thats not noticeable. The softer grey tyres lose traction much more gradually so the car noticably slides but does not lose speed.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 05:33 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Jimmy,

we're talking about shedding speed throughout the corner. This doesn't mean slide - sometimes, in some instances, sliding just a bit, or loosening the car, will enable you to keep more of your speed through the corner.

Think of it this way - if a tire is TOO tractive, it will absorb the energy as you turn, essentially becoming a brake.

Personally, I like greys on the rear. but I like them with a smaller sidewall so I don't shed so much speed as they flex (and they flex a lot more than greens).
Old 07-29-2002, 09:39 PM   #42
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Schuieracer Send a message via Yahoo to Schuieracer

I am actually not sure. I run rubber a lot here at my carpet track, but then in the fall Cleveland fever hits and everyone runs foam. I just got a Schumacher Mission recently, and haven't had a chance to run foam with it, but from my previous experiences with foam, it kicks ass. It is so much easier to dial in your car with tons of traction. Want to go to a big race that runs foam? US Indoor Champs in Cleveland.
Schuieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2002, 06:12 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to King-G

Go the schumacher mini pins!..

I havent tried these, But I have heard nothing but awesome praise for these tires on carpet, and also polished concrete and B, Ball courts.
King-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:51 PM   #44
Tech Addict

They rock!
Old 08-01-2002, 10:40 AM   #45
Tech Master

Default Traction Compound.

Hi dudes! Which traction compound is better for rubber?

TQ Modified Traction Compound (instant grip)
or
TQ Plus 8 mins (extended grip)

I have no idea which one will perform better

Thanks. BTW, will these work on 1/12th or 1/10 pan car foams?
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote