R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2005, 05:59 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default UPS-vs-Fedex-vs-DHL

Everytime I order from someone who uses UPS I always seem to get screwed, example. I was on vacation took the week off at home, I saw the UPS truck about 4 time in a eight period everyday, the moment I odered something they didn't get here until 7:30 pm now take it I'm no longer on vacation at this time and took the time off to recieve my package, there nothing more fun then waiting around all day for something that i thought come during the early hours, so I figure that next time I order something I wouldn't have to take off from work,wrong !
You know the slips they leave stuck to your door when they miss you

Make a long story short, everytime I stay home they take all day, go to work they come early.

Fedex is the bomb

Since everybody is always buying stuff from Speedtech, Victors, Rainbow ten, Horizion and Towehobbies please share your thoughts
dawgmeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:13 AM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

At my company we ship via Fedex, UPS, DHL, AIT and Expeditors. Fedex is by far the best about picking up and delivering on time. DHL and UPS are pretty much worthless and cost a lot more. Fedex is about 25% cheaper on average (about 50% cheaper on rush deliveries). Ait and Expeditors are mainly for bulk shipments but very good.
jrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:16 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jrighter
At my company we ship via Fedex, UPS, DHL, AIT and Expeditors. Fedex is by far the best about picking up and delivering on time. DHL and UPS are pretty much worthless and cost a lot more. Fedex is about 25% cheaper on average (about 50% cheaper on rush deliveries). Ait and Expeditors are mainly for bulk shipments but very good.
that 2 for fedex
Old 02-23-2005, 06:24 AM   #4
Tech Regular

I used to like UPS but I don't know anymore, like it was stated before their drop off schedule sucks, unless there's someone home all day long, forget it. And just yesterday I received and important package at work and it looked as if they had used it for a pick up game of soccer in the warehouse.
jackhammer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:30 AM   #5
Tech Adept

how come when i order onion rings theres always at least one fry in the bag, mc donalds sucks what do you guys think. share your thoughts,

your joking right.
heres what you do. leave a note on the door that says its ok to drop it off next door, or leave it on the doorstep. oh and heres a thought, you can tell them what time you will be home and they will bring it then.
vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jrighter
It's the opposite here in Canada....I ship large volumes of product every year with DHL and they have performed flawlessly.

Purolator, Fedex and UPS are hit and miss at best
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 06:36 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by vanguard
how come when i order onion rings theres always at least one fry in the bag, mc donalds sucks what do you guys think. share your thoughts,

your joking right.
heres what you do. leave a note on the door that says its ok to drop it off next door, or leave it on the doorstep. oh and heres a thought, you can tell them what time you will be home and they will bring it then.
Do me a favor, go order the Tamiya 415ms for 450 bucks and leave it on your doorstep or with your trustworthy Neighbor , not me pal
Old 02-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by vanguard

your joking right.

I don't know maybe you have a close knit relationship with the UPS guy where you're at, but around here if you leave a note they may leave it next door, or they may not. As far as delivering at a certain convenient time, I don't know what UPS you've been using.
And even if that still doesn't solve why they beat the hell out of a lot of packages you receive.
jackhammer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:06 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by jackhammer74
I don't know maybe you have a close knit relationship with the UPS guy where you're at, but around here if you leave a note they may leave it next door, or they may not. As far as delivering at a certain convenient time, I don't know what UPS you've been using.
And even if that still doesn't solve why they beat the hell out of a lot of packages you receive.
i think that your problem might be what coast and state you live in more the a general ups rule on the package handling and condition. and i have yet to meet the ups guy/gal.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
Do me a favor, go order the Tamiya 415ms for 450 bucks and leave it on your doorstep or with your trustworthy Neighbor , not me pal
well your favor as already been completed, i've done it with my last three kits, the last one being a yokomo SDW. and if you can't trust your neighbors your hood sucks.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GroffBall

I use UPS exclusivly. If I order something ground and its in the mid west I get it 2nd day, if I order something from the east a lot of times its next day, only time its sucks is from Cali... 5 days I think UPS just doesn't like the left coast. Hell my UPS guy used to know when I was getting stuff for my old jeep b/c he could recognize a company on the box or something and he would put it right in my car for me and come in and have me sign for it. He would always get here before 3 too. But this is commercial UPS b/c I have everything sent to my company. Residential UPS is a whole nother story

Everytime I use Fed ex I get screwed. its always a day late. when I call and bitch they give me some excuse like it snowed in walawala washington, so we had to reroute it.
GroffBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
Do you wear a flak jacket when mowing the lawn? J/K but i could understand not leaving something that exspensive sitting outside, even in a good neighborhood....you just never know.
RCNitroDude999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

I personally think alot of it has to do with being Union.
UPS had a Strike like 7-9 yrs ago and the older group that works for them is still bitter about it.
The others or newwer UPS guys and gals.They are SOOOO protected they dont seem to care.
Now Please understand it totally depends on the delivery person.Everyone is different and does his/her job different.
When you see One of the Major Carriers coming around early(8:00am-11:00am) it's due to 1,2,and 3 day packages.Ground packages are usually delivered later in the day DEPENDING on what that driver has on his/her truck.
Back the Union.While this works in some states and the people that still have a clue of what the Union Stands for(Not to be lazy and get away with it) leaves more to be desired.
FedEx has come along way in the last 4-5 yrs in better service and better standards.
DHL is on the growing end of things but bought 2 companies that had some pretty pissed off employee's.When thats settled maybe they will get better.
Leaving a note for next door doesnt always happen.If they have to have YOUR signature they cant leave it anywhere.

P.S.If you get a Door Tag from UPS and you CANT be home to sign for it.Call the # on there and change address's to either a neibhor,friend or your work.Make sure you do it after the 1st delivery.This helps for people that have the center WAY FAR AWAY and cant pick it up.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:16 AM   #14
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I am not a business so I'm last on the list for UPS.. I had them leave a package on my doorstep on a three day weekend.(they were TOLD NOT TO)It had a new $300 car,4 battery packs,new speed controller and some spare parts.It should have been their on a wed.UPS left the package on their truck for 2 days,I was so .. I will NOT ever deal with UPS and their F-U way of dealing with their customers.FED-EX is the "bomb" for me, on time every time..
Old 02-23-2005, 07:24 AM   #15
Tech Elite

The problem with UPS is that they do not have a depot in my area that will allow you to pick it up...so if you missed their delivery, youhave to wait for them to deliver again...

Purolator and DHL will both allow you to pick up missed packages at their depot...not sure about Fedex...

PErsonally I get SERIOUSLY irritated when couriers drop off packages blindly that are not tagged as NSR (No Signature Required) as unless there is a signature, you have no proof of delivery. Without a proof of delivery, youhave no backup should someone claim they never received their goods...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote