R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For CANADIANs ordering from from the US online store or private sales steer way clear of UPS.

Here are a few reasons:
-Sent new trinity motor back for magnet repairs(they came loose). Trinity sent the motor back free of charge repaired under warranty but used UPS. They insured the motor for 39$US(retail value) and UPS hit me with brokerage fees of 37$CND at my door!!! I paid 45$CND for the thing new! After 4 months of back and forth they threatened me about not paying the bill and finally a manager let it go after i let the f-er have it over the phone. Trinity had faxed them a declaration of value being 0$ twice because it was under warranty. UPS claims they never go them.

-Traded with a guy in CA years ago he sent me a kit and again he insured it for his protection as i feel he should. Mistake came when he insured it for what he paid when shipping by UPS. I almost S___ my pants when i got the brokerage bill!!!

USPS should be our only request for US to CND shipping:
-SPEEDTECH RC ships insured and tracked with USPS its fast arrives in good time and no brokerage fees are ever billed to me
-Private sale 2 weeks ago same deal he insured his kit for 300$US and sent it USPS. I got the car but no bill.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:55 AM   #32
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to outspoken

I've had great experiences with FedEx when it comes to small packages and letter envelopes - especially when doing overnight. When it comes to large boxes and insurance recovery UPS is rated #1 in my book.

I've shipped a lot of items in both my personal time and for work. I have had two claims on file with FedEx, none of which did I receive compensation - not even free shipping on the item back to my location for inspection by a FedEx exployee. Point in case, a computer. This was for a customer who wanted the latest and greatest, the machine cost about $2,000 and when he received it there was a qaurter size hole (read as the size of a US coin representing 1/4 of a dollar) on the side of the box and a small dent on the computer case. Obviously something had punctured the box and made its way through the wrapping far enough to tap a dent into the case. This caused the heatsink to come off the cpu and bounce around freely during the duration of the shipping which took out the motherboard and the graphics card, an easy $500-$700 right there. So I had to pay for shipping $70 from the buyer's location back to me so that I could inspect it (this was on FedEx's request). Then their hired person came out to take pictures. They were timely in their response of denying my claim and there was nobody that I could dispute it with, which was the most aggrevating thing.

I had two other similar experiences with UPS, but guess what? They paid me the full claim amount! =)

I've had no complaints with DHL, and I've used them many times with overnighting medium sized packages (10" boxes with about 5-10lbs).

I don't hold a grudge with FedEx, I still use them for overnight and small packages but not with large items. As previously mentioned UPS Ground has great prices and in my experience great customer service. Try taking your open box item to FedEx and have them assist you in boxing it - not going to happen (They insist on helping you at UPS).
Old 02-23-2005, 10:57 AM   #33
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to outspoken

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel Lagace
USPS should be our only request for US to CND shipping:
-SPEEDTECH RC ships insured and tracked with USPS its fast arrives in good time and no brokerage fees are ever billed to me
-Private sale 2 weeks ago same deal he insured his kit for 300$US and sent it USPS. I got the car but no bill. [/B]
Ah yes, I forgot to mention in my post that I only USPS for international shipping as well. Their rates are great and the transfer between countries always goes smoothly.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:03 AM   #34
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

i say use the one that you will not have any trouble filing a claim.
and what ever you do do NOT use USPS for shipping To Canada, i shipped a box on 11/09/2004 the package still has not been deliverd, i started the claim on 12/15/2004. and as of yet sill am waiting for the refund and insurance $$$.

the best way for shipping for me is UPS, like some-one on here already stated, if you can have it deliverd to you work,
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My only real problems have been with UPS. Several small issues and when I sent back my Quasar Pro (man that thibg was nothing but trouble ) they lost it on me...No one could find it for 3 weeks, until I told them they were gonna have to pay me the $200 I paid for it. Miraculously, it appeared the next day!! I have also had them screw up a next day shippment. I have never had a problem with Fedex, although I could have. I bought a set of wheels for my real car ($$$) and they left them on the walkway leading to my porch!! Luckilly I was pulling up as he was leaving. In retrospect, I should've, ahem, "lost" the wheels and had them pay me for them, but I just couldn't ( I am too nice ). Guess if I had a choice I would choose FedEx. Also, as an aside, what is with paying for insurance? I never understood that!! Basically they are telling you that they(shippers) aren't responsible for screwing up YOUR package!!!
RCevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #36
Tech Master

UPS is ALWAYS late...If it should be there Thursday, expect it Monday I have NEVER gotten a UPS package on time....

I always get USPS if I can. FedEx is okay, been a while since I've gotten something via FedEx
BlackKat is offline   Reply With Quote