Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving without tire additives?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Driving without tire additives?

On the upcoming World Championship its the first time where tire additives are forbidden.

I'm no friend of additives and I would like to now if anyody ever tried this with satisfying results? I'm talking about touring cars with rubber tires mainly on asphalt tracks but also on carpet.

Did we develop the current touring car generation to be used only with additives or is it possible to achieve the same results withoud additives?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

It's not hard to run without additive. You will have to change parts of your set-up to compensate for its absence.

Additive is one of the main killers for TC, it puts newbies off, it's messy and it's not good for you. I hope one day it will be banned at all race days.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seeing as traction compound is extremely common I think it would be a fair assumption to say the latest cars take into consideration the grip level the car will have using them.

I think most racers can stand by the concept that traction is king. Nothing really can replace it I think. Now whether or not less traction is good for competition, that's another beat up horse I figure.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Racing without additive can easily be done, cars can be driven on non-treated rubber tires (especially foams) on tracks with normal amounts of grip, but it's the drivers who are the problem, as usual. When we tried to apply a no-additive rule in 1:18 races, some smart a**** would just come with eg. 6 sets of prepped foam sets. There's no way to prove it, so in order to be fair to everyone, additives were allowed. We never tried a no additive policy in 1:10, however I'd the first one to stop using it if such a rule would exist
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Instead of using traction wash on asphault, I use tire warmers. The only thing the wash does is soften up the outer layer of the tire to give you initial grip in the first lap or two. After that its the tire and temp doing the work. If the tires are pre-warmed, you already have the grip. Just dont over heat your tires with the warmers or it will be like driving on ice.

Shawn
Old 07-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

+1 for banning the additives =)
Love driving TC and F1 without that BS =)

I think thats a good move removing another annoyance you have to carry around with you, and yes noobs don't like it too much, already expensive to get into and they keep seeing we add more nick nacks to the mix. And i can't set up my car consistent with additive. With out i get it dailed in all the time.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

I'm against it only for health reasons- I don't why it would be complicated for noobs or expensive? In the last 2-3 years I have only bought 2 bottles of VTEC additive, and I am still using it
Old 07-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Suspended

I have never used additives. At my local track traction compounds are banned because of local and state environmental laws which attempt to limit chemicals ending up in the local bay.

We run on medium grip asphalt, using foams and rubber tires in different classes and its not a big issue. There is generally more then enough grip out there. And what you dont have you dont miss.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Default FYI

Here is Paul L perspective of the no traction rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Hi Paul,

Congrats on the win, wish you the best in the "BIG" show.

My question is, how did you feel the no tire additive rule played into the past race? Do you think many of the top contenders struggled more than normal or did they rise to the situation? How off did you feel the traction was compared to a normal race condition?

Thanks
Hi. I felt like the no additive was ok, as long as you could warm them properly (as everybody did) the cars started ok. I think it played a little in to my hands for a couple of reasons, first that additive does make the car have a lot more overall grip, i feel like some of the other teams have had set ups that are capable of being more aggressive to take more advantage of that grip, where as with no sauce a tamer car can be more competitive. secondly i think that sauce provides the tire with more life (adding oil back in to the tire that was previously burned out), i think having this lack of replenishment (if you want to call it) made smooth driving something to be more desired, which I feel like i did a decent job of trying to be smooth and saving the tires. all in all i think that the tire rule was fine. the worlds will be interesting though, Im sure it will not be the same rules and circumstances so you never know.

The tire it self is good, I dont think anyone will say anything bad about the Sorex 36 tire in terms of quality.

Thanks.
Paul
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I used to use tire additives, but I just couldn't get them right and ran inconsistently. Could just be the surface that I am running, but cleaning the tires and doing some laps before the starting grid is enough to get me going. Tried all kinds of tires, but I still have yet to find one that can beat the sorex.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Here is Paul L perspective of the no traction rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Hi Paul,

Congrats on the win, wish you the best in the "BIG" show.

My question is, how did you feel the no tire additive rule played into the past race? Do you think many of the top contenders struggled more than normal or did they rise to the situation? How off did you feel the traction was compared to a normal race condition?

Thanks
Hi. I felt like the no additive was ok, as long as you could warm them properly (as everybody did) the cars started ok. I think it played a little in to my hands for a couple of reasons, first that additive does make the car have a lot more overall grip, i feel like some of the other teams have had set ups that are capable of being more aggressive to take more advantage of that grip, where as with no sauce a tamer car can be more competitive. secondly i think that sauce provides the tire with more life (adding oil back in to the tire that was previously burned out), i think having this lack of replenishment (if you want to call it) made smooth driving something to be more desired, which I feel like i did a decent job of trying to be smooth and saving the tires. all in all i think that the tire rule was fine. the worlds will be interesting though, Im sure it will not be the same rules and circumstances so you never know.

The tire it self is good, I dont think anyone will say anything bad about the Sorex 36 tire in terms of quality.

Thanks.
Paul
Thanks for the short interview with Paul L. That was exactly what I was looking for after the worlds warm up . Its the first opinion I hear from a driver after the wc warmup regarding the additive issue.

Its interessting that so many would like to see additives banned, i thought more people would be on the pro additive side.
As stated before I'm also against additives and would be happy if more tracks or even federations like ROAR, IFMAR, EFRA would ban additives.

Some classed like 1:8 onraod are almost dead (atleast here in europe) because of the additive issue.
Even the offroad classes are now fighting against additive users but its becoming harder and harder to detect it.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO on low grip asphalt, brand new first run tyres the difference is minimal (but still there) with additivies.

The biggest advantage of tyre additives is to keep the tyres working at a competitive level for more runs. I generally use about 1.5 bottles a season and it saves me a lot more (in tyres) than it costs.

But I would rather not use it if tyres could be made to last.