R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #1216
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Where the cars running foams or rubbers?

Sounds like this car is going well so far
Old 04-17-2005, 07:34 PM   #1217
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

First race of the JBRL series is over, it was a lot of fun, but best of all I got the BD working better than it ever has. Last night in the hotel room with my buddies I was telling them how the Losi works so great because you can overdrive the car and get a lot of steering by doing so. I thought how cool it would be if Yokomo made a 39 tooth pulley so we could overdrive the front end. Today I struck an idea to try the 41 tooth Losi pulley on the rear of the car and leave the 40 tooth in front. With a few modifications to get it to work it was set, and I have to say that was the best change I have made to the car to date, made it react quick, carry a lot of cornerspeed, had tons of steering out of the corner, and helped sweep the rear end around the turns.

I'd like to say my BD was the best there today, but because of a corner dot in the main I wasnt able to prove it as another BD got around me. I'm going to rebuild my car over the next few days and will try to figure out a way to mount the pulley without any tough or perminent mods to the car.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 09:10 PM   #1218
Tech Apprentice

Pheyhoe,

we were running CS27 on high traction carpet. Traction for all BD's was excellent.

Setup was pretty much stock, except
-no bladder foams in the shocks
-front suspension upper end in the second hole from center

The only problem was a couple of broken servo arms. None of the cars had servo savers.
jarkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:06 PM   #1219
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
Matt H.- How did racing go for you?????
I just got back. For my first ever 23T race I was able to TQ, set fastest lap of the day, and win the triple A mains, not a bad debute, eh? Since my 23T motor tuning skills are non existant and I didn't have time to try anyway, the only way I was able to go so fast was the corner speed the BD carries. The track was pretty big, probably 150 ft straight and 75 foot infield but it was very open and sweeping. It was crazy sometimes how much faster through the corners I was getting than the other cars. Since I had the only BD there everyone wanted to check it out, I couldn't of asked for a better first race
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:12 PM   #1220
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey Matt great to hear your finally getting to run out there!Sounds like alot of racing going on did you get to do any tuning on the car?
MIP Racing
BN Racing
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:40 PM   #1221
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by bigdog
Hey Matt great to hear your finally getting to run out there!Sounds like alot of racing going on did you get to do any tuning on the car?
The only thing I changed from the box stock setup is to run a thicker gold rear sway bar, stood the rear shocks all the way up on the tower, and moved the steering linkage on the graphite plate to the middle hole. The car was just so easy to drive it felt like it was going slow but I was still throwing down the quickest laptimes.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 04-17-2005, 11:24 PM   #1222
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
The only thing I changed from the box stock setup is to run a thicker gold rear sway bar, stood the rear shocks all the way up on the tower, and moved the steering linkage on the graphite plate to the middle hole. The car was just so easy to drive it felt like it was going slow but I was still throwing down the quickest laptimes.
hey matt.. can you tell us what your tire/insert/body set up was? also.. this is outdoor asphalt right? any sauce on the track?

set up changes i did were similar to yours. curious to see how good it would be for 19T. mine was for 27T. thanks man!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 11:47 PM   #1223
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by jarkko
Pheyhoe,

we were running CS27 on high traction carpet. Traction for all BD's was excellent.

Setup was pretty much stock, except
-no bladder foams in the shocks
-front suspension upper end in the second hole from center

The only problem was a couple of broken servo arms. None of the cars had servo savers.
-no bladder foams in the shocks:
Hi, what does it change?
chaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:15 AM   #1224
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebiki
hey matt.. can you tell us what your tire/insert/body set up was? also.. this is outdoor asphalt right? any sauce on the track?

set up changes i did were similar to yours. curious to see how good it would be for 19T. mine was for 27T. thanks man!
I ran Sorex 36's with either xenon red or grey inserts, the greys seemed to give more steering while the reds let me keep better corner speed, and they both gave me the same lap times. I ran a Mazda 6 since this was the first time running this car and I knew how that body handles. The track was an outdoor asphalt track that was kinda dusty/slippery all day, it wasn't sprayed with anything.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 04-18-2005, 12:30 AM   #1225
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

Quote:
Matt: was curious to find out what you gained by moving the steering linkage to the middle hole? been wanting to fiddle with ackerman and sterring settings but wanted to check what you were trying out as well. I've basically been trying to gain a bit more off-power/intital trun-in for my BD. i run a fairly technical track with some hairpins (one coming at the end of the back straight). oh, and did standing up the shocks also help the rear rotate better? i've actually done some changes already which have made the car run great but i'm sure there's always a better set-up.... so i'm not quite ready to say it is perfect just yet.

have to agree with you on the corner speed though. this car carries so much of it through the corners. ran a club race last week (box settings mostly) and despite the slight push in the hairpins i still chopped of 0.2 secs off my laptimes with the SD. .... so i know i can only go faster!

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:37 AM   #1226
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by ROBORAT
Matt: was curious to find out what you gained by moving the steering linkage to the middle hole? been wanting to fiddle with ackerman and sterring settings but wanted to check what you were trying out as well. I've basically been trying to gain a bit more off-power/intital trun-in for my BD. i run a fairly technical track with some hairpins (one coming at the end of the back straight). oh, and did standing up the shocks also help the rear rotate better? i've actually done some changes already which have made the car run great but i'm sure there's always a better set-up.... so i'm not quite ready to say it is perfect just yet.

have to agree with you on the corner speed though. this car carries so much of it through the corners. ran a club race last week (box settings mostly) and despite the slight push in the hairpins i still chopped of 0.2 secs off my laptimes with the SD. .... so i know i can only go faster!
Moving the ballstud on the steering rack forward will give the car more turn-in steering but with a slight loss of on power steering. Since my car had tons of on power steering and I needed a bit of off power steering for the end of the straightaway where I was racing I moved it up on hole and it made a noticeable change. It's so easy to change the ackermann angle on this car it makes it a usefull adjustment
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 04-18-2005, 12:46 AM   #1227
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ROBORAT

Matt: great. I was guessing that is what moving the link forward would do. I'll try it out next time i hit the track. you're right about the BD, it has tons of on-power steering! never had a problem with that. Just need it to turn more aggressively in those tight corners. thanks for the help!

http://www.hobbyhaven.com.my/
ROBORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 01:23 AM   #1228
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
I ran Sorex 36's with either xenon red or grey inserts, the greys seemed to give more steering while the reds let me keep better corner speed, and they both gave me the same lap times. I ran a Mazda 6 since this was the first time running this car and I knew how that body handles. The track was an outdoor asphalt track that was kinda dusty/slippery all day, it wasn't sprayed with anything.
sweeeeet. most of the tracks i race at are outdoor asphalt that are usually just swept, but never sauced (except 4Fun hobbies, but that gets dusty though) thanks. ill give that tire set up a shot this weekend
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 02:02 AM   #1229
Tech Champion

the I-net track I raced on was pretty big and flowing. If the track setup was tighter I would probably go to a RS yellow spring up front and move the front shock out on the tower to probably the second from outside or maybe all the way outside to start with. That should give more turn in steering for a tighter track.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Old 04-18-2005, 03:41 AM   #1230
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My first big race with the BD was great. I finished 5th in the Expert stock A-main at the JBRL held at SoCal and finally got to meet Mr. Shookie, it was a pleasure meeting you and thanks for the Rockstar energy drink (I think it helped me shave off 2 tenths of a second off my lap times ). My car was dialed the whole day and was very consistant from run to run. Like Matt Howard said, the car had good corner speed and that is what made my lap times fast. The only thing holding the car back was other cars piling up in the start of the race The track is asphalt, very technical and we used rubber tires. The BD is a great car. Thanks Yokomo!
ekim628 is offline   Reply With Quote