R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #9061
RAL
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

I dont have the numbers, I apologize. Try downloading the BD5 pdf manual and search Driftspeed's website with the part number for availability.

http://www.teamyokomo.com/jpn/downlo...bd5_manual.pdf

http://www.driftspeed.com/index.php?main_page=index
Old 01-18-2011, 04:41 AM   #9062
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey that looks like a sweet conversion there. Have you noticed any big improvement? Still got my BD but not sure if its worth me spending the money to do this??

I would have thought the big difference between the BD and BD5, apart from the hub changes etc is that there is a split rear bulkhead/layshaft whereas the BD is an all in one affair. I would think that would give the BD5 better traction. That is probably what my BD lacks so ight just have to stump up the cash and get a BD5.

Still love my BD though.

Donny Racing - http://donnyracing.yolasite.com/forum.php

Poweeeeerrrrr!
housey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #9063
RAL
Tech Elite

Its better. Also you can get the parts!!! The HB front end parts seemed to be the solution in this cars prime but those parts are always out of stock and are also known for being quite fragile. To update to a new front end with Yokomo parts that allowed the kingpin to come off of the top of the pivot point was my objective. Its seems that these parts were crated before the BD5 as you can see here in this photo below.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #9064
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Inspired by RAL!!!

I did the HB C-hub conversion and the BD5 Rear hub conversion on my SD.
You can too!

Now this aluminum rear hub carrier is from Suzuki, not much
of a conversion but its the same shape/size as BD5!

Ahhh yes! BD5 Rear hub carrier!

Old 02-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #9065
RAL
Tech Elite

Nice!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #9066
Tech Adept

Right so I'm just trying to figure out the bits I need to put this BD5 steering on my BD.

Can I just use an 8mm steering link on the BD steering posts as a conversion. Just because buying the steering bridge and two BD5 steering posts is quite expensive.

Will it work properly just using the link and the BD posts?

Poweeeeerrrrr!
Old 02-27-2011, 09:49 AM   #9067
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by housey View Post
Right so I'm just trying to figure out the bits I need to put this BD5 steering on my BD.

Can I just use an 8mm steering link on the BD steering posts as a conversion. Just because buying the steering bridge and two BD5 steering posts is quite expensive.

Will it work properly just using the link and the BD posts?
Mate. All you need is the BD5 steering plate either stock or 8mm piece will work, nothing else. Oh and you will need 39mm turnbuckles. The plate bolts up
In the stock location of the old BD no problem using old BD steering posts.
Ral did it, so can you!
Old 02-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #9068
Tech Adept

I think I will.

I've got a little something in the pipeline for my BD as well. I'll hopefully post up on here once it all gets done. Excited!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyZ View Post
Mate. All you need is the BD5 steering plate either stock or 8mm piece will work, nothing else. Oh and you will need 39mm turnbuckles. The plate bolts up
In the stock location of the old BD no problem using old BD steering posts.
Ral did it, so can you!

Poweeeeerrrrr!
Old 02-27-2011, 01:33 PM   #9069
RAL
Tech Elite

Yes it will fit. I'm now running the 8mm plate. Steering is improved. I also run at a super high traction indoor asphalt track and have not tested the car on outdoor asphalt. The 8mm plate has tighter tolerances for the bearing holes with less slop then the 10mm. They bearings fit very precisely cleaning up some steering slop. The newer 10mm steering plates being produced might be better though as they could of made a running change on the bearing hole tolerances. If you are doing the conversion, the 8mm plate is worth trying.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #9070
RAL
Tech Elite

I would also suggest using a top or xray type ball end on the knuckle. The longer ball stud on the knuckle(steering linkage) will give you some wicked bump steer. I learned that just recently and the lid of my car has been thanking me ever since. LOL
Old 02-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #9071
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAL View Post
I would also suggest using a top or xray type ball end on the knuckle. The longer ball stud on the knuckle(steering linkage) will give you some wicked bump steer. I learned that just recently and the lid of my car has been thanking me ever since. LOL
Cheers RAL. Should get one of these ordered asap and hopefully have awesome steering.

Also, can I run the BD5 C-hub with the BD knuckles? Don't wanna have to buy all the BD5 hubs if I don't need to.

Also I was messing with the car the other day and realised how flexible the BD plastic parts are. I can bend my front C-hubs/steering knuckles/wishbones so much its unreal. The rear of the car is real stiff but the front is bendier than a gymnast.I'd like to use the graphite C-hubs but I hear they are quite weak?

My little project is going to be a full length top deck thats going to isolate the motor mount from having anything to do with chassis flex. Its going to require a little dremeling of the left hand bulkhead but after this and the BD5 steering/C-hubs and my narrow chassis the thing is basically gonna be a BD5, but for much less. Makes sense for me seen as I have so many spares for this car, and its still competitive.

Poweeeeerrrrr!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:05 AM   #9072
RAL
Tech Elite

I don't think the BD5 knuckles fit in the BD c-hub. Also the ball coming off the top of the articulation point exactly on the pivot axis(like the Hotbodies knuckle mod) on the hub is better then the funky setback ball stud setup on the BD knuckle. This is the main reason I did the conversion. To achieve what the Hotbodies mod was doing with all Yokomo parts. I've also added BD5 shocks and the BDM Masami rear tower. With BD5 shocks you need the BDM rear tower to get ride height and droop settings to function normally. I'm really happy with my BD2.5 Oh... and flip the belts too. There are plenty of former Yokomo USA drivers at my track WCRC in Los Angeles who have held my car and said to me, "Man...I miss my Yokomo" I'm having fun with trying to make an old car new. It seems every former Yokomo owner has a soft spot for them and they are always wanting you to do well and offering help or advice regardless of what they are racing now. Its really sad there's no more Yokomo USA. I didn't race TC seriously when it was still existing as I was focusing on school(University) and had no time for RC. But it makes me wish I had experienced it.

The narrow bulkhead width on this car is the same as my T3 or most of the new cars. This design was so ahead of its time its not even funny.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:33 AM   #9073
Tech Adept

Hi RAL, think you misread my post mate. I want to use the BD steering knuckles in the BD5 C-hub.

I've already done loads and loads of mods to my BD, its running a custommade chassis and top deck at the moment, flipped belts and the motor mount mod.

But like I said I fancy doing an even better top deck that totally misses out the mounting on the motor mount, should be even better flex. I'll post some pics of my car in a bit, I'll do a drawing of what I want to do with the top deck as well.

I have all the same experiences with people here in the UK, people come and look at my car and they don't even know what it is. Usually they think its a Tamiya lol. I call it my BDW, hehe.

So yea just need to know if the BD5 C-hub will work with BD steering knuckles. I only ask as it looked to me like Sammy is running his SD like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAL View Post
I don't think the BD5 knuckles fit in the BD c-hub. Also the ball coming off the top of the articulation point exactly on the pivot axis(like the Hotbodies knuckle mod) on the hub is better then the funky setback ball stud setup on the BD knuckle. This is the main reason I did the conversion. To achieve what the Hotbodies mod was doing with all Yokomo parts. I've also added BD5 shocks and the BDM Masami rear tower. With BD5 shocks you need the BDM rear tower to get ride height and droop settings to function normally. I'm really happy with my BD2.5 Oh... and flip the belts too. There are plenty of former Yokomo USA drivers at my track WCRC in Los Angeles who have held my car and said to me, "Man...I miss my Yokomo" I'm having fun with trying to make an old car new. It seems every former Yokomo owner has a soft spot for them and they are always wanting you to do well and offering help or advice regardless of what they are racing now. Its really sad there's no more Yokomo USA. I didn't race TC seriously when it was still existing as I was focusing on school(University) and had no time for RC. But it makes me wish I had experienced it.

The narrow bulkhead width on this car is the same as my T3 or most of the new cars. This design was so ahead of its time its not even funny.

Poweeeeerrrrr!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:04 AM   #9074
Tech Adept

This is my chassis

And my top deck

Poweeeeerrrrr!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:10 AM   #9075
RAL
Tech Elite

Pretty sure hes running HB hubs. I'll check the fit.