R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #7246
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Schumacher
Are those stock plastic diff hubs good enough to withstand the power from brushless motors?
Well, I'm driving a 4.5r with sintered rotor on good 6 cell IB packs.
With this setup I drove a Robitronic Avid for 2 weeks, I had so much power I BENT the rear axles ALONG the axle (so the pins in the 2 ends were rotated from eachother by some 45°) and went through a set of blades...

These are the first diff outputs I used on my BD with the same amount of power, been used a full year last year up till now. In the attached picture you can see how much the plastic outputs have worn.

I CA'd the diff plates to the plastic halves and am using ceramic balls.
Then do the diff just as Mark payne says in his 1/12th notes and just clean it once every 10 batteries or so (when it gets somewhat gritty). Never had a prob with it.

Man, where's the time of the size of the brushed speedo's to mount....
Attached Thumbnails
Yokomo MR4TC-BD-p1010553_resized.jpg  
Quante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #7247
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Zacharopoulos

ok that's nice but what cvd do you use at rear??
do you use standard ones that have a X slop so the wear is Y or optional like TIR that have a X/3 slop and so Y/3 wear on diff halves??

I am sking this question because at rear i use standard yokomo cvd's with lightweight bones , with standar diff halves and they wear more and sooner than the front that i use TIR cvd with handmade spool for TIR cvd's and the slop is very minimized!!

www.zworks.tk

^^^Check it ^^^
Zacharopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #7248
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to sidcup_chaz

hi
sorry slightly of subject has anyone had the chance to run the 13.5 brushless yet in your bd (to slow for most of u lot lol) but if any of you know what sort of gearing to run on it?
sidcup_chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #7249
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharopoulos
ok that's nice but what cvd do you use at rear??
do you use standard ones that have a X slop so the wear is Y or optional like TIR that have a X/3 slop and so Y/3 wear on diff halves??

I am sking this question because at rear i use standard yokomo cvd's with lightweight bones , with standar diff halves and they wear more and sooner than the front that i use TIR cvd with handmade spool for TIR cvd's and the slop is very minimized!!
Thats a good question ;-) , I bought the car second hand and these CVDs were in it, but they have almost no slop. From the looks of it they're either TIR or MIP CVDs. My guess is MIPs. in the front I also use a MIP spool and this one wears somewhat more than the rear diff halves.

Just an Idea, but I drive the layshaft in backwards. This means the power from the Spur goes directly to the front and with some play (through the pin and other gear (which have worn a lot) to the rear.
maybe this results in smoother power to the rear, cause the car is being set in motion by the front and the rear gets the power somewhat later.
(I'll notice if I'll grind the diff when I put the layshaft in correct.

While we're on this subject, did anyone encounter this before: like I said I drive the std axle in the front, I broke one of the pins that connects the axle with the output some weeks ago...
Cant seem to order them seperately so I'll try xray's but still, broke one of em.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #7250
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quante
Thats a good question ;-) , I bought the car second hand and these CVDs were in it, but they have almost no slop. From the looks of it they're either TIR or MIP CVDs. My guess is MIPs. in the front I also use a MIP spool and this one wears somewhat more than the rear diff halves.

Just an Idea, but I drive the layshaft in backwards. This means the power from the Spur goes directly to the front and with some play (through the pin and other gear (which have worn a lot) to the rear.
maybe this results in smoother power to the rear, cause the car is being set in motion by the front and the rear gets the power somewhat later.
(I'll notice if I'll grind the diff when I put the layshaft in correct.

While we're on this subject, did anyone encounter this before: like I said I drive the std axle in the front, I broke one of the pins that connects the axle with the output some weeks ago...
Cant seem to order them seperately so I'll try xray's but still, broke one of em.
yup the color looks like MIP but i don't think MIP manufacture cvd's for BD or no at the time i looked for them!!
No matter what , the belt is the one that has "hard time"!! You may have this "prob" because of the spool , when you turn and hit the throttle the diff can "diffuse" the power to either left or right , when it can be possible like 50-50 or even 70-30 % but the spool even if you turn or you go straight diffuse the power 50-50% !! also don't forget that spool can't slip , but if diff can't pass the power to the tires-road cause of traction slips!!

www.zworks.tk

^^^Check it ^^^
Old 05-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #7251
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quante

you mean the pin that's on bone of the universal and in the diff halves right??

www.zworks.tk

^^^Check it ^^^
Old 05-23-2007, 03:04 PM   #7252
Tech Addict

Well, I checked the MIP website and they're not in there specifically for the BD, maybe one for another brand fits?? No idea about it.

Not the pin from the axle into the spool, the other side, into the shaft (well, roughly translated from dutch: from the cross coupling...). Never seen that before but it happened to me, and no yokomo ordering number on it.
You're right about the spool, but then its still strange that for you its the other way around. You wear the diff halves earlier than the spool.

Do you also drive rubber on asphalt like me??
Old 05-23-2007, 03:22 PM   #7253
Tech Regular

maybe cyclone MIP's fit BD

if i get it right , your prob is at the pin that connects outer axle with bone and locks with an allen 1.5mm screw, right??
there is a spare part for it

i run on rubber !!

My rear diff wear sooner than front spool not because the quality isn't good or smt like that , but because patrick who made the spool for my BD made an awesome job!! thanks Patrick
What i was trying to say is that slop and CVD's are important when we talk about wearing!!

www.zworks.tk

^^^Check it ^^^
Old 05-23-2007, 03:24 PM   #7254
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

i've broke numerious pins till i found that if your steering stops aren't set right they will snap with the slightest bump when your at full turn. yokomo sells them i'm just not sure of the number.
BWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:48 AM   #7255
Tech Addict

Hehe, thx, I'm gonna order myself a bunch of those and check my steering lock.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 AM   #7256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

canto, what axles and dogbones are you using with the front HPI chub and uprights?
Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 AM   #7257
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

The Cyclone MIP cvds for the cyclone work on the BD with the Pro4 front C- hubs and if you are running the SDW arms. I did, however have to file the pins a little that go into the outdrives since they are a bit too big.
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #7258
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

will they still work if you use the standard arms?
Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #7259
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to canto54

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooPH
canto, what axles and dogbones are you using with the front HPI chub and uprights?
I'm using SD-010FS and SD-010FW rear. I use them with original bearings but it's better to use a 10*6*2.5mm bearing front/inside because it's better to find the godd adjustement of the axle.

As for me yokomo axle are 6mm and HB axle are 5mm so you will have to change bearing to use HB axles.
www.mrclongwy.fr
www.petitrc.com
canto54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:57 AM   #7260
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

voodoo: hook up with marvi... as i recall... he has the HB front end installed in his BD... he did this when parts were scarce in our area...