R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2006, 07:45 PM   #4231
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default back from the Novak - checking in...

Guys-

I just got back from competing at the Novak at Trackside in Wisconsin with my BD in stock rubber. Fairly certain I had the only BD in the house...

First, a big thank you to Pops. He was very helpful in answering several of my questions getting my car sorted out leading up to the race.

I live a few hours away so I've been to Trackside, but I'm not a regular there. Stock rubber is a very popular class there and this area has a ton of fast drivers. 415's are the typical car and Fred Kellner made everyone look slow by putting a full lap over the second place guy in most every qualifer.

First off, I was super impressed with the durability of my BD. More than once, I turned in early at the end of the straight and sent my car flying into a concrete wall. From 8:00am Thursday til the mains on Sunday, I did not break a single part...and it looked like I was trying!

One thing I found interesting, my center one way continued to lock up. I've had the car for about 6 months and have been to the track about 6 times or so. Cleaning and relubing the bearing didn't help. I ended up installing the center spool in fear of the bearing 'breaking free'. The center shaft had noticable wear from the bearing, enough that it was hard to install the spool.

The challenge was to free up the car and make it handle 'flat' on the super high bite CRC carpet track. Handout CS27's tires and Jack the Gripper compound was 'spec'. I was able to get the car to work pretty good, even though I (later learned) went the wrong direction. Grey springs front and rear, stiff front and rear bars.

Basically, the fast guys ran their cars soft. Typically 14-16 lb springs w/60wt in the front and 12lb w/4wt in the rear. I'll note that for next time! I went from my typical 3 degrees of rear toe to 1 in the rear, which helped a lot. I ran both belts quite loose in attemp to free up as much HP as possible, but there were a lot of people that brought their A game. With something like 50 people in stock rubber (and there was a sportsman aka rookie class) it was super competitive - there were NO 'slow' guys.

FYI, I do not know how you guys manage with the stock steering rack. I like my car, but strongly feel this is the weakest and poorest designed part on the car. CF is not the material that should be used here. With all the holes, there are stress risers everywhere you look, CA or not. I immediately made a replacement from a piece of steel. WAY better...

Also, I thought some of you would like to see the motor sink / fan mod I ran. I took an off the shelf Reedy one and made a small piece to relocate the fan. This directed the air right where I wanted it and also allowed for easy access for soldering the leads. To avoid the sink from coming off, I ended up dremeling (hacking) a slot in the fins so I could secure it with a zip tie.

The fan reduced motor temps almost 40 degrees. I was able to rerun brushes and the motor pulled hard the entire run, so I was pleased.

I'm happy with the car and look forward to continuing to learn how to dial it in.

10-4
TC_Tuner
Eric Schutt
Attached Thumbnails
Yokomo MR4TC-BD-motor_sink_fan_lo.jpg  
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 07:50 PM   #4232
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

Some good ideas there with the heatsink and fan, thanks for those
Old 01-09-2006, 08:43 PM   #4233
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TC_Tuner. . . I would like to see some pics of your steering rack and the rest of your ride. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #4234
Tech Master

Good jog Eric, I like what you did with the cooling fan. You really learn a ton after a big race! It only gets better, well some of the time!
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #4235
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ok guys is worth the money to buy those team bomber white belts they are expensive? And I'm kinda skeptical. Right I'm doing fine with stocks ones I'm not even using the Low friction belts, And my car just run the fastest lap time at my track on stock class expert this past weekend. Your Opinion is needed?
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:54 PM   #4236
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to v0rtex Send a message via AIM to v0rtex Send a message via MSN to v0rtex

my opinion is if they're the same speed and look 10x better - get them!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #4237
Tech Elite

Well I know it looks good though but I don't want to spend $30+++ dollars if it ain't going to make my car faster.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #4238
Tech Elite

Anyone here tired the new delrin outdrives I believe it's from Jet racing. I seen one on ebay just today is it lighter than stock plastic outdrives?
Old 01-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #4239
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18
ok guys is worth the money to buy those team bomber white belts they are expensive? And I'm kinda skeptical. Right I'm doing fine with stocks ones I'm not even using the Low friction belts, And my car just run the fastest lap time at my track on stock class expert this past weekend. Your Opinion is needed?
Will they make your car faster? I doubt it. But I will get them sometime; once the old belts have worn out.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:08 PM   #4240
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochim_18
Anyone here tired the new delrin outdrives I believe it's from Jet racing. I seen one on ebay just today is it lighter than stock plastic outdrives?
Another hop up that will not make much difference IMHO. There really is nothing wrong with the stock plastic outdrives, just replace them every time the diff needs to be re-built, if you feel they are worn out. The plastic outdrives are only $4.00. The stock ones are light and strong enough, but if you need to have delrin, buy them.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #4241
Tech Elite

Thanks guys I appreciate your opinion I almost tempted to get one today but darn it came out to $33 for two belts that includes shipping. That's just way too much for a belt.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #4242
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default bell crank plate

along with the used BD its steering plate was cracked,no problem since run a CNC router ! I was told that it was one of the first things to break so I decided to use aluminum. Its .090 instead of .080(2mm) so I had to use a thin washer to get it off of the bell crank. I can make more of these if theres any interest. Heres a pic.Oh yeah, I only used three akerman(sp?) mounts instead of the 5.
Attached Thumbnails
Yokomo MR4TC-BD-link.jpg  
stumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #4243
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

price estimation?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #4244
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper
along with the used BD its steering plate was cracked,no problem since run a CNC router ! I was told that it was one of the first things to break so I decided to use aluminum. Its .090 instead of .080(2mm) so I had to use a thin washer to get it off of the bell crank. I can make more of these if theres any interest. Heres a pic.Oh yeah, I only used three akerman(sp?) mounts instead of the 5.
MUCH INTEREST!!!!!! You have a great opporutunity to make some $ on the side and help out the BD fans. Win-Win
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #4245
Tech Elite

Anodize it blue, and you're onto a winner!