R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2005, 09:51 PM   #3646
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default limiting shock travel

any better (more accurate) way to limit shock travel or stroke. I know and understand how to limit down travel, but it seems pretty 'shade tree' to limit travel the way I suggest (o rings on shock shaft lower).

also, where can I find a spring rate chart? Something that gives a numerical value to the spring color... I know different brands are 'apples and oranges', but maybe a good comparison starting point. Looking for Yokomo springs and Rayspeed springs...

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm heading back to the track tomorrow, so I'll be able to try a few more things.

TC_Tuner
MRX4-X F180 Cobra Zipper Kart Yokomo BD Cup Racer FM1e Recoil M18 Pro Scalpel dNaNo Baja 5T HB D8 Vorza ERevo Savage Flux SCX10 GT2 T4 Slash Ten SCTE Blitz ESE HB Cyclone D4 Mini ERevo Vendetta ST Mini T Micro T
TC_Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 10:38 PM   #3647
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
any better (more accurate) way to limit shock travel or stroke. I know and understand how to limit down travel, but it seems pretty 'shade tree' to limit travel the way I suggest (o rings on shock shaft lower).

also, where can I find a spring rate chart? Something that gives a numerical value to the spring color... I know different brands are 'apples and oranges', but maybe a good comparison starting point. Looking for Yokomo springs and Rayspeed springs...

Thank you for the suggestions. I'm heading back to the track tomorrow, so I'll be able to try a few more things.

TC_Tuner
Check a few pages down theres a word file made by one of our fellow racers indicating the spring rate of various brands and colors
Mr. Shims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 11:26 PM   #3648
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
I don't think he will need your help, he is going to run a Losi...
he caled and told me what he was going to do. UYou and John are the last yokomo's out here. hope u re ready to carry the torch.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:18 AM   #3649
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST
he caled and told me what he was going to do. UYou and John are the last yokomo's out here. hope u re ready to carry the torch.
When summer comes there will be more.
No problem, the Carpet Chassis is ready to roll.
I don't think we can get John to run carpet foams, he likes to play in the dirt during the winter you know.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:26 AM   #3650
Tech Adept

Quote:
I started off with the 'straight outta the box' setup. Running stock rubber. Not too bad, but a lot of oversteer on exit. I stood up the rear shocks, helped a ton. Car felt balanced as it relates to oversteer/understeer...but now I had too much traction. I was bicycling in many of the turns. I went up one stiffer spring rate all around. Didn't really seem to help much, I was still lifting in many of the turns.

Also, at the same time, I realized that I was scrubbing the chassis - specifically the outside servo mount. I was running 5mm height, so lowering the car isn't an option the way I have it right now.

The car was good - I was .2 seconds off the fastest lap with only three packs in the car, so I was stoked...but I need to get the car flat. I was running older (but scrubbed on a lathe) tires, so this problem will only get worse with new, better tires. Track runs Spec TakeOff tires, so different rubber isn't an option.

I'm thinking stiffer springs. Right now, it has blue's up front and yellow's in the rear. Whatta think?

On a seperate issue, it seems like these shocks have too much stroke. By that, the tire has the ability to travel above the bottom of the chassis. I was considering putting some 'O' rings on the shock shaft (on the outside) to limit the travel. Whatta think?
If you are finding that the chassis is rolling to much. ie, rubbing the outside of the chassis, and you also have to much grip which is washing speed in the corners. I would think the next logical step would be to slightly raise the roll center of the car equally on all four corners by adding a 1mm shim under the outside camber link. This should reduce chassis roll and overall grip, but increase corner speed whilst maintaining a balenced feeling car. I think that is the theory, someone please correct me if i'm wrong
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 01:33 AM   #3651
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Ran my 3mm chassis today and WOW, I love it (Thanks jimnew )... the car transitions like butter, which is exactly what I was hoping for. In my mind, a stiffer chassis allows/affords the suspension to handle the bulk of the work as suspensions are intended to do. Depending on a chassis flexing to help create more grip always bothered me for some odd reason. Maybe it's because in real cars we don't expect our frames to flex to help the car handle...

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:47 AM   #3652
Tech Elite

O-rings make good bump stops for uptravel, or you can use some plastic spacers on the shaft, AE make some useful ones. I wonder if there are any caster clips that have a 3mm ID? They would work perfectly.

As for your setup, go for a stiffer spring rate all round before you mess with the geometry too much.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 04:36 AM   #3653
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

New chassis... New Shell... Bad Attitude

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO

Last edited by JayBee; 09-12-2008 at 10:31 PM.
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:34 AM   #3654
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

can a SD spool fitted into BD?
ali_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 06:44 AM   #3655
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee
New chassis... New Shell... Bad Attitude
very smart.

donít go using it now, youíll scuff it!
Old 10-30-2005, 07:48 AM   #3656
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_g
yes
agower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:14 AM   #3657
Tech Fanatic

Default BD durability

Im thinking of buying a BD but im a little concerned about the durability. What are your thoughts on this? How do they hold up compared to others?
Rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:29 AM   #3658
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
When summer comes there will be more.
No problem, the Carpet Chassis is ready to roll.
I don't think we can get John to run carpet foams, he likes to play in the dirt during the winter you know.
John came to the regionals but left before the mains. My chassis is on it's way. I might be able to race this weekend if Billy get's my order in.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:56 AM   #3659
tir
Tech Initiate

Default car pushes with spool

If the spool uses a blade type system to prevent wear, you will tend to get understeer. We have tested a few designs, and the extra "stiction" (binding) of the blade causes some imbalances in the cars handling. The transition from Off Power to On power whilst turning creates the push.
tir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:13 AM   #3660
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_g
I don't think so. Yokomo makes an enexpensive plastic spool for the BD.
pops is offline   Reply With Quote