R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #346
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I already sent you a couple designs you can take elements from rex...for the rest of you here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Track making thread-rallycross-design-1.jpg   Track making thread-rallycross-design-2.jpg  
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:22 PM   #347
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i definately used some of your sweet ideas when i was drawing up some of my own ideas. it will be a challenge using such a narrow space.
rexvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #348
Tech Elite

what scale vehicles and what type of vehicles will you be racing?
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:22 PM   #349
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

There's a track in Montana that uses square plastic\PVC pipe which works great for both 1/10th and 1/12th scale and should be fairly economical.

http://www.magiccityrc.com/

We use 2x4's at some tracks, which is not very forgiving and 3" round PVC at other tracks which is also decent and more forgiving when hit. The problem with round PVC is if you run 12th scale or 1/10th GT the noise of the car can dig in under the pipe very easily.

I think the square PVC would be your best for a new track.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 AM   #350
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Yeah, I learned this past weekend what 2x4s do to lexan bodies. It's not pretty! PVC pipe much more forgiving.

Our track will be graduating from round PVC to square pvc downspout next year.

Paul
Old 08-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #351
Tech Elite

I currently build a track about 110x50 feet every Sunday in a parking lot, it's been mainly electric TC and Trans Am. We're just starting to allow nitro this weekend.

I'm using 1.5 inch PVC for the infield. the system now uses a 1x2 furring strip about 12 inches long inside the two pipes secured together using two drywall screw in both pipes once they are joined together. It hold great with no seam. We use 1 5/8ths silcone tubing about a 12 inch length for connectors, jammed into two pipes to create bends, securing that with one drywall screw into each pipe.

I'm seeing some of you say you are going to use PVC downspout. I have a couple of questions. What's your projection on the cost for your particualr sized track, and what do you plan to use to connect each 10 foot piece together and what will be used for angles and bends?

Some of the reasons I went with 1.5 inch PVC:

low cost
ease of assembly using my above system (less time to setup/knockdown)
not much breakage to vehicles
less spaced when stored (our track get's setup and knocked down each day)
Old 08-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #352
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexvirtue View Post
i definately used some of your sweet ideas when i was drawing up some of my own ideas. it will be a challenge using such a narrow space.

thanks. I cant wait to see your final product. I tried to draw (no pun intended) on elements from European rallycross tracks that I had seen in videos on youtube
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:53 PM   #353
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
I currently build a track about 110x50 feet every Sunday in a parking lot, it's been mainly electric TC and Trans Am. We're just starting to allow nitro this weekend.

I'm using 1.5 inch PVC for the infield. the system now uses a 1x2 furring strip about 12 inches long inside the two pipes secured together using two drywall screw in both pipes once they are joined together. It hold great with no seam. We use 1 5/8ths silcone tubing about a 12 inch length for connectors, jammed into two pipes to create bends, securing that with one drywall screw into each pipe.

I'm seeing some of you say you are going to use PVC downspout. I have a couple of questions. What's your projection on the cost for your particualr sized track, and what do you plan to use to connect each 10 foot piece together and what will be used for angles and bends?

Some of the reasons I went with 1.5 inch PVC:

low cost
ease of assembly using my above system (less time to setup/knockdown)
not much breakage to vehicles
less spaced when stored (our track get's setup and knocked down each day)
Our outdoor track is permanent, so that makes things easier for me.

From my estimates, it should cost about $1-$1.50/foot of material. (It comes in 10' lengths and costs between $10-$15 per length). Our club will probably spend between $300 - $500 on materials total. We'll create joints using plywood that will attach inside the pipes. I'll either contact grocery stores, or areas that have conveyor belts this winter to see if they have any worn out belts they would be willing to give us. If that fails, we'll get some via mcMaster Carr or another supplier, or I'll go visit the local hardware store for potential materials. For curves, I haven't solved that problem yet. I may use flappers, or purchase 45* or 90* connectors for the downspout. But I'm not sold on that since that would create a seam. I'm hoping to get a closer look at the Montana's track system this winter when I visit them.

For securing to the ground, I'm going to start with industrial velcro strips and sand bags. I may also investigate backing it with boards screwed into the pavement if option #1 fails. Really hard to say at this point. On our current track, the PVC is secured by nailing the pipe into the pavement.

Our track uses Trex boards (recycled plastic mixed with sawdust) which are very forgiving for the outside barriers. We'll keep the round pipe for the NASCAR turns as it provides a smooth curve and is seamless through the entire turn. As a non-profit we can normally get scrap wood such as what we hope to use for the connectors from our local hardware store.

Paul
Old 08-21-2008, 08:06 AM   #354
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubaboy View Post
I'll either contact grocery stores, or areas that have conveyor belts this winter to see if they have any worn out belts they would be willing to give us. If that fails, we'll get some via mcMaster Carr or another supplier
What will the belts be used for?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:11 AM   #355
Tech Addict

cut em down for flappers and also to make turns. Billings puts snaps or buttons on the end of the a strip and attaches it to two downspout ends. Then they can make the turn at any angle they choose.

Paul
Old 08-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #356
Tech Elite

hmmm. I had a picture of a fan belt kind of thing.

Is there a picture on the internet you can show me with the type of belt you are talking about?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #357
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokenji View Post
what scale vehicles and what type of vehicles will you be racing?
1/10 electric 4wd cars. i have an rs4 rally and a tt-01 that is heavily modified for rally abuse. the surface is shallow sand with some long grass randomly around. i think a good raking will be step 1.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #358
Tech Master

NEW track bandung-Indonesia

from last saturday fun race:23/august'08
(just extended).Mollis track (Mall Lingkar Selatan)
total length start-finish 1 lap 262M
track size 48X29M
surface concrete (not asphalt)
best time M chasis sport tuned motor before extend 18,xx sec.
NOW 34sec..
average speed 29Km/h
track for only EP . favourite tire SOREX 36R/32R

biggest on road track semi indoor in Indonesia. (gak kepanasan yg pasti)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjWqdQZ5Fwk
Thanks to iyodesign for upload on Youtube

Cheers..

Erwin
Turbo jalur kanan
NOS jalur paling kiri (bahu jalan)
Erwin lewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM   #359
Tech Master

How successful would a permanent track be if one of thier policies is "no organized racing"? I guess they don't want a lot of people coming.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:56 PM   #360
Tech Apprentice

here is the roughing in for my small backyard rally track. a few hairpins and a few straightaways. also, a few options to switch it up a bit. more to come as the track develops.
Attached Thumbnails
Track making thread-dscn1926small.jpg   Track making thread-dscn1927small.jpg   Track making thread-dscn1928small.jpg