Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dead Shorting!! Best Practices . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Dead Shorting!! Best Practices . . .

Please share information on the myths and perks of DEAD SHORTING!! And best practice methods on how to dead short.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Take a look at this thread- you might learn a little something-

http://rctech.net/forum/showthread.p...91#post1399991
Old 02-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you decide to dead short.. number one, do it from the first charge on the pack, or you are wasting your time...

1 build the pack... tray it, then dead short it....

never charge a pack twice in a day, without dead shorting it between charges,,,,

if you run a pack without a dead short, after you have already started doing it.. consider the pack your new best practice pack..

it is key to do the same process every time... charge, discharge and dead short...

i tray my packs till theyd rop below .030 on my t30 for voltage... make sure you leave the pack on the tray, till you put the wire on.. after it is shorted, then it is safe to remove it..
Old 02-20-2005, 10:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi

How long should i let my pack on the discharge tray before deadshort them.
I discharge my pack with my eagle racing cdc charger and the discharge tray is a much more racing (zero volt tray)

thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 213 (100%+)

Your very precise with your technique, which sounds as if you have a good understanding of cell management. What do you recomend for stick packs (ie. Tamiya packs?) Do you still take them to .30? or lower??? Someone's opion will be gratefull!!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Tech Master

Fran- i don't think you can do that on a stick pack since its imposible to equalize each cell.

i haven't tried dead shorting before but i might give it a try. one question though for those who have tried it woth success how long does it take to fully charge a pack after it has been dead shorted? the reason I asked because on our club race we only had 30 minutes interval after the race and I only have one charger. a friend told me that he left his pack in the discharge tray 2 minutes after it has been connected to the charger. is this safe? thanks in advance.

CE-X
Old 02-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by burbs
if you decide to dead short.. number one, do it from the first charge on the pack, or you are wasting your time...

1 build the pack... tray it, then dead short it....

never charge a pack twice in a day, without dead shorting it between charges,,,,

if you run a pack without a dead short, after you have already started doing it.. consider the pack your new best practice pack..

it is key to do the same process every time... charge, discharge and dead short...

i tray my packs till theyd rop below .030 on my t30 for voltage... make sure you leave the pack on the tray, till you put the wire on.. after it is shorted, then it is safe to remove it..

Is it safe to store batteries while they are still wired for Dead short, till they are ready to be charged again??
Old 02-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

yes i store all my packs shorted.. keep them shorted until they are ready to be charged... it is key to always have a dead short wire on when stored... once u start this process your cells will require it to be done every time... leaving a pack unshorted after it has been shorted will make the nuimbers go down huge...

i try to go no longer then 3 weeks for storage.. if they will be sitting longer, on the third week just cycle the packs. and re do the process for storage...

shorting a pack, takes away some runtime.. if you run modified do not dead short.. if you run stock or 19 turn you will have no problems... in modified u need every second of runtime...

as for how long it takes.. it usually depends on the pack and discharge tray.. get a volt meter, check the voltage make sure it is below .030 as a pack.. this will ensure no spark..

do not take the pack out of the tray until the wire is on it.. if you take it out before hand the voltage wil spike back up, and you will fry the pack....

i usually get th pack into my tray as soon as i can after the race.. then by the time my next pack is ready to go in, it is most likley ok to short it.. usually 30-40 minutes..

if you are just starting this process, i recomend not using a full wire to short.. i would use a very thin solder.. wrap it around each pole tight.. the reason i recomend this is if you do it wrong, the solder is thin... if there is to much voltage in the pack, the solder will act as a fuse, and save the pack..