R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Early Tamiya

How about a slightly engineered TA-01/02? Don
Attached Thumbnails
Early Tamiya-p1010001-12.jpg   Early Tamiya-p1010002-12.jpg   Early Tamiya-p1010003-11.jpg   Early Tamiya-p1010004-8.jpg  
DLS II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS II View Post
How about a slightly engineered TA-01/02? Don
Keep at it long enough and you'll end up with the DF03RA.

I have a vast collection of TA01/02 chassies (because of all the rally bodies they came with) and parts for them which have fallen out of grace since the RA appeared. That chassis addressed most of the shortcomings of the TA chassis which I tried to iron out over about 10 years (just for fun). They're still my favourite cars, but a DF03RA (and I have a few of these as well) will beat the crap out of any of them any day in any respect (durability, tuneability, etc., etc.). Great fun factor though.

There is only one aspect that I can think of where the TA01/02 chassis is still better and that is the possibility to make up your own plates to adjust the wheelbase to a non standard bodyshell. I did that and created a mini-wheelbase (short mini wheelbase for the Alpine A110 shell) version of the TA02 and a midi-wheelbase version for a uber rare Alpine A310 bodyshell from Germany I came across. The latter is shorter than the TA02SW of the Taisan Porsche and uses its inverted rear suspension arm setup, that is how short it had to be (but still longer than the mini version). The mini version has the "normal" rear suspension arms inverted and the servo (standard size) crammed up against the battery. The rear suspension arms nearly foul the motor. Great fun.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Tech Regular

It is fun to "play". The real downside to this design is gearing. 1. .6 mod pinions 2. highest gearing attainable is 5.5 FDR. I also have built a 4wd mini of 225 wb using TA-02 gearboxes. I'm waiting for my LHS to get in a HPI Datsun 510 body. Don
Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Tech Elite

A number of after market aluminium motor mounts allowed larger pinions. There is also a wealth of tuning parts that were available back in the day, from japan and HK made by third party companies. Some of these allowed a wider spread of ratios as well as changing the pitch of the spur. The difficulty is to find them.

That is one of the problems tamiya has addressed by releasing the DF03 chassis.

Japan has a huge aftermarket industry but not much of it is seen from outside. There are entire shops full of parts over there.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Tech Regular

I've got a al. motor mount set aside for that purpose. I've yet to find a 40T .6 mod pinion. I was trying to get a 4 to 1 FDR.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Your aluminium mount needs to be offset from original (holes drilled elsewhere). You can change the pitch of the spur as well, if you get one of those aftermarket parts I am talking about. I think it may have been made by Square?-it was a spur holder with removable pinion so no longer need to stick to the tamiya pitch.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Square-I take it that's a Japanese company? The mount I've got is from a shaft type 1/10 drifter that NitroRCX sells. I'll do a search and see if I can locate Square. Don
Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Tech Regular

I found Square-but no TA-01/02 parts were listed. Don