R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)
Default Xray Touring Car VS Xray Off Road Buggy

Are they built the same? My Xray buggy is a tank, I do all sorts of damage to it and it just keeps on going.

I know I have to do less damge to a TC, but I want to get into at my local track which runs a small, carpet track.

Alot of folks run associated there, but they do have some parts for Xrays. I personally just dislike associated.

I guess my question is, will I need major parts support for the XRAY TC car if a noob is buying it?
Ironwolf1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Xray has one of (if not the most) durable touring cars out there.
Steve S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwolf1974 View Post
Are they built the same? My Xray buggy is a tank, I do all sorts of damage to it and it just keeps on going.

I know I have to do less damge to a TC, but I want to get into at my local track which runs a small, carpet track.

Alot of folks run associated there, but they do have some parts for Xrays. I personally just dislike associated.

I guess my question is, will I need major parts support for the XRAY TC car if a noob is buying it?
If you have local support for Xrays, then just buy the car. Don't forget that Xray built their reputation by making the strongest TCs, which only then passed on the buggys.
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Definitely one of the most durable TC chassis, if not the most durable. It can still break things, but generally takes more force to do it.

I can't count the number of times I clipped a board which sent my car flying into the opposite wall(or cartwheeling into the pits) and it just kept driving after like nothing happened. My previous cars would have at least been a bit tweaked, if not majorly broken.

Only problem is when you do end up breaking something, it quite often costs double what that part would be from another brand. The quality is top notch, but I think parts prices should probably be just a tad cheaper than they are. Despite this, I love my T3 '12s. Awesome cars. They can indeed take a serious beating.

For added durability, I would suggest the hard bumper, kit universals instead of ECS drive shafts and axle pin retaining collars(3racing and TOP make some that fit, but may need to shim the outer camber link studs up .5mm)
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Tech Master

At our club Tamiyas have the least breakages (hardly ever break), then the Xrays. Both these makes seem to quite ahead of the other makes of TC's at the club.

The main issue with Xrays are the driveshafts, they break quite frequently, and are expensive to replace.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
At our club Tamiyas have the least breakages (hardly ever break), then the Xrays.
Same here. I ran an entire season of VTA with my modified TT01 and never broke an arm or anything. Things are built like a tank. The Xrays do really well and are a close second... though the price is quite a bit more. LOL You won't be sorry running an Xray on carpet. They hold up really really well. If you break a lot, it's your driving... not the car. You'll be fine.
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Plus the Xray cars are just sublime to work on, and run super quiet. My buddies were always surprised by the smooth drivetrain.
Raincity Raji Kon - hit me up to drift in the 206/425 -- RWD W.U.N. Nervis 2.0, RWD dlike RE-R Hybrid, RWD Sakura D4, 50:50 StreetJam OTA-R31, Slash 4x4, Slash 2wd, Subaru Brat Scaler, Emaxx dual brushed motors lol

WTT: my HPI MRS4 with exotex and more
multi-bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
At our club Tamiyas have the least breakages (hardly ever break), then the Xrays. Both these makes seem to quite ahead of the other makes of TC's at the club.

The main issue with Xrays are the driveshafts, they break quite frequently, and are expensive to replace.
I've not run a Tamiya in a while but from memory they are durability in different ways. The xray parts are very rigid but bulky. They remaining very precise. Tamiya seems to use more flexible material that absorbs the impacts more but things begin to get warped and less precise over time.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I've not run a Tamiya in a while but from memory they are durability in different ways. The xray parts are very rigid but bulky. They remaining very precise. Tamiya seems to use more flexible material that absorbs the impacts more but things begin to get warped and less precise over time.
That's is a great point, and when I think of it it's exactly what me & my friends (running Tamiya) concluded
Boca Bearings - www.bocabearings.com
UrabusDenis is offline   Reply With Quote