R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-19-2012, 02:53 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You are much better off building a kit. You will understand how it works better as well as be able to repair it easier when it breaks.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

RTR= Ready to REPLACE....

Build a kit, if your going to race. You will save in the long run and it will be a better experience.... the stuff that comes with a rtr car is mostly junk

That said, the TC4 club car is pre-built minus electronics....
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
Build a kit, if your going to race. You will save in the long run and it will be a better experience.... the stuff that comes with a rtr car is mostly junk
This isn't entirely true. There are some real advantages to getting a RTR in a category that you haven't run before.

For starters, you save a ton of time and can just focus on driving. If you don't like driving onroad... you'll know right away. It may be cheaper to buy a "kit" rather than rtr in the long run, but you may get tired of putting the kit together or get frustrated with the car in general. If you want ARR or RTR... go for it. It'll save you time and you'll learn about the car as things break and issues arise. 3Racing has an ARR Sakura, Tamiya has several rtr "expert built" cars, and there's always the old TC4 RTR cars. Just pick one and see how you feel driving it.

Ultimately, if you are using the track where the LHS is at... you NEED to get a car that he/she has parts for. LHS's don't just make money by letting you practice or race. If you are just bashing with friends... feel free to buy online. To me, the cost of good advice can not be bought. I'd rather pay the 20 large extra to help keep the track open. Besides... I can always go cheaper on a battery pack or motor and work my way up. It all really depends on where you are running your car and what your goal is.

Never let anyone convince you that "their" car is the best... move up at your own pace and don't get ahead of your driving or wrenching skills.... wherever that leads you.
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

RtR's are almost as good as carbon fiber cars of the same weight, just as long as the racer fully understands how to setup his car... Rc Crew Chief software can certainly help there...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

I to am trying to choose a touring car. I see no one has mentioned the HPI Sprint 2 belt drive. Only the E10 has been mentioned. How does Sprint 2 compare to say a TC4 shaft driven car?

Jim
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_w View Post
I to am trying to choose a touring car. I see no one has mentioned the HPI Sprint 2 belt drive. Only the E10 has been mentioned. How does Sprint 2 compare to say a TC4 shaft driven car?

Jim
It's okay. Some people like it and others dont. It's relatively cheap and easy to service. I think there may be a thread around here for it.
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
Tech Master

what TC should you get...
with ease of Internet shopping these days, the question should be:
"What color anodizing do you like"
90% of the cars out there generally have the same design. They can all be set up for a winning car.
As for RTRs, while it may the "easy" button, you will miss out on many things that will get you connected to your car. Plus, there is no guarantee that the RTR is assembled properly too. I've seen many drivers show up with one, and can't figure out what is wrong with it, so they end up disassembling the car.
But if you are going the RTR route, the TC4 is a safe bet.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

get a sprint 2, well worth it for the like 100$ more it costs and you get a nifty body with it.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106130/

What state arre you located in?
Old 06-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #24
Tech Elite

I'm still going with "waste of time" when it comes to the running gear that comes with RTR cars.... With a little knowledge and perhaps some help, very good, slightly used electronics can be found in the FS thread.... the car with be more reliable, responsive, more enjoyable all around. Plus, if one decided that the class is not for them, all that same stuff can be re-sold for pretty much the investment cost. RTR servo's, esc, motors... cheap garbage to get you started that will ultimately fail. Losi used to sell the XXX-s RTR with a GM esc, decent JR servo and radio, it wasn't a bad package. Outside of that, I rarely see RTR cars with good stuff in them. Just MHO.... get quality, slightly used stuff and it will be a much better experience.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post
get a sprint 2, well worth it for the like 100$ more it costs and you get a nifty body with it.

Exotek makes a chassis for it too, friend of mine runs this set-up and it's pretty good for VTA, ect.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Red face

Ok ok I'll get a kit. But I gotta say I've done this with model cars and ill just say alot of wiggly parts. BTW kits do come with instructions right? So everyone please list the car you would go with. And I'll take a look at them! Just anything under $175 would be GREAT $175-$185 is pretty good $185-$190 PUSHING IT $190-$195 REALLY PUSHING IT $195+NO!!
JaaronRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaaronRC View Post
Ok ok I'll get a kit. But I gotta say I've done this with model cars and ill just say alot of wiggly parts. BTW kits do come with instructions right? So everyone please list the car you would go with. And I'll take a look at them! Just anything under $175 would be GREAT $175-$185 is pretty good $185-$190 PUSHING IT $190-$195 REALLY PUSHING IT $195+NO!!
Not really a kit but you can't go wrong. best bang for the buck. I'm a tamiya guy and probably say ta05v2, but won't rule out something that works. You probably have a decent radio and charger, so all you need is an esc/motor/batt.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CIUBEPMCMAE
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
You still may want to buy a car they sell and stock parts for (even if it's not from them) since even if it costs a couple of bucks more you can get parts same day instead of always through the mail.

Remember, they already paid the shipping and advice, while free, is worth a lot.
The advice from some of my LHSs is pretty worthless. Others are good. Depends on your shop.

Quote:
So you need a complete car ready to roll radio and all for that price? If so then Id say one of the previously mentioned RTR cars is your only choice. Even if the kit is only $120 good luck getting a radio, esc, motor and servo for the remaining $70 you have. If you have some of those items alrready you may be able to make it work, but starting with nothing I dont see how. RTR toy is your only choice.
jhautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #29
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikcaffine View Post

If you're asking me, Alabama.
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Nah, never ... you gotta' go jig-saw puzzle style and figure it all out by yourself

Get a Sakura-0.... and a quality servo-saver, less "wiggly".