R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-20-2005, 09:27 PM   #16
tornado

I use this..... similar with the Robi and Fantom.

Old 02-21-2005, 12:29 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, it's similar except for one thing, it uses a 6-cell battery for power, instead of a more reliable & steady power source(like the high-capacity lead-acid batteries the Robi uses, or the power supplies that the Fantoms can use). I think it's important that what you use for a power source can handle a test run without losing a significant amount of it's charge(which is why Robi reccomends 12V sealed-type lead-acid batteries, & why many Fantom users have a high-amperage power supply), makes for more repeatable tests over a period of time(& both of those have voltage & current regulators to precisely control just how much voltage & current go to the motor, that's where they differ from the cheaper testers, IMO). And as for where to get more info on the Robi, well, their website(www.robitronic.com ) is probably the best source for that. Unfortunately, you won't find an American dealer for those right now, as they're made in Austria, & the only company that had been importing them(Trinity) stopped about a year & a half to 2 years ago & switched to using the Fantom(so if you're bound & determined to get a Robi, you'd likely have to go directly to the source or to a European dealer)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 12:52 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have the Robi dyno IN stock....and am a authorized dealer for the products in the US....

They are not cheap though, $950....and you will need to still get a battery. ( I use a law tractor battery from walmart, works great).

Later EddieO
Old 02-21-2005, 01:59 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh, I stand corrected, I didn't realize someone began to import them here again, sorry, my bad...

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:39 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Grizzbob
Well, it's similar except for one thing, it uses a 6-cell battery for power, instead of a more reliable & steady power source(like the high-capacity lead-acid batteries the Robi uses, or the power supplies that the Fantoms can use). I think it's important that what you use for a power source can handle a test run without losing a significant amount of it's charge(which is why Robi reccomends 12V sealed-type lead-acid batteries, & why many Fantom users have a high-amperage power supply), makes for more repeatable tests over a period of time(& both of those have voltage & current regulators to precisely control just how much voltage & current go to the motor, that's where they differ from the cheaper testers, IMO). And as for where to get more info on the Robi, well, their website(www.robitronic.com ) is probably the best source for that. Unfortunately, you won't find an American dealer for those right now, as they're made in Austria, & the only company that had been importing them(Trinity) stopped about a year & a half to 2 years ago & switched to using the Fantom(so if you're bound & determined to get a Robi, you'd likely have to go directly to the source or to a European dealer)....
thanks for the info!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:40 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
I have the Robi dyno IN stock....and am a authorized dealer for the products in the US....

They are not cheap though, $950....and you will need to still get a battery. ( I use a law tractor battery from walmart, works great).

Later EddieO
EddieO,

can you forward me anymore info on this dyno???

I need to feel comfortable with a $950 expense before going forward.....
Old 02-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
I use this..... similar with the Robi and Fantom.

where can I get "specs" on this unit???
Old 02-21-2005, 07:41 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Quote:
Originally posted by ghoppa
Sparxs:

"where" can I find info on this dyno?????"
Click on Motor Checker in menu

Last edited by Tommy Bergfeldt; 02-21-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

my local hobby shop has the new CE dyno, it looks similar to the old one but is 45 amps instead of 30. it is also one of the most expensive on the market costing $1395
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #25
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

www.robitronic.com has all the specs.....

I use the Dyno for all my production stuff....works great.

Later EddieO
Old 02-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #26
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

You can pick up a used CE dyno on ebay for about $450.00... I have 2 friends that have bought them on there and they work great!
Old 02-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Default CS Power Checker (Dyno)

I have the CS, and I didn't like using a single pack to test different motors. I was seeing different results on every run, so I made some connectors that allow me to use 4 packs in parallel, same voltage, 4x the run time. My results are consistant through 30 runs or more now, which is more than enough to test 5 or more motors thoroughly.

I haven't taken it to the track, but it would be a lot easier to transport than a lawn tractor battery, or a high amp power supply, and all for about 1/2 the price.

No matter which dyno you have, you can't compare numbers to other dynos or even others of the same make. Calibration, slave motor, battery voltage, software... all can be a little off dyno to dyno. All dynos (IMO) are best used to quantify a good running motor (one you know is good on the track), and then use those numbers as a baseline for tuning other motors. In this case, ANY dyno that records torque of some type will be useful.
SCML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Pricewise, the Fantom is the best deal.

You can buy one off ebay for 250

Cheap laptop for under 100

Economic car battery for 30

You total is 380USD. That's a good deal. I wouldn't use anything less than a car battery. Powersupplies won't give out enough amps for the initial pull. I guess you could find something for true labratory use for about 1 grand. A car battery will give you enough dyno time to do about 50 runs before the power actually goes down.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 07:02 PM   #29
Tech Master

thanks guys for the very informative info......

so I take it there are the following possiblities:

fantom (price wise the best offer)
robitronic
CE
and CS????

is there anyone else that is worth considering????

thanks to everyone!
Old 02-21-2005, 07:10 PM   #30
sg1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

You can get a power supply on ebay too... I picked 2 up for $50.00 (included shipping)!! They are switching supplies and go to 55 amp max. 50 constant at 13v... Just takes time to look for them...