Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good motor numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Good motor numbers?

What are considered "good" numbers for a stock motor? I was looking at Monster stocks and EPIC Roars at the LHS the highest RPM I saw was in the 21k and 67 in power.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:10 PM
Tech Addict

What about the torque!? 100nMM, min on a monster the other numbers you posted sound good, but remember those numbers wont guarantee a killer motor! it helps to weed out the total duds though, good luck!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Hows this motor reading?

RPM: 25332rpm
TORQ: 4.6
WATT: 87
EF: 69
AMPS: 17.0

I dont know much about that but 25332 sounds good?

Thanks
Old 02-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Depends on which dyno was used to test it. On the Robitronic one(which by default tests at 7.5 volts), that wouldn't be too good, but for the Fantom(which uses either 5 or 6 volts) it'd be incredible. If I had to guess, those numbers sound like they're from the Competition Electronics TurboDyno(& with that one I don't really remember what would be considered strong on it, most of my experience is with the Robi & Fantom). But keep in mind that a manufacturer can come up with those numbers in a variety of ways, so in general I try not to count too much on them(which is a part of why I bought my own dyno, a Robi), I instead just buy from those builders I trust most, & try not to obsess about the numbers on the label, I'll just test it on mine & get an idea of how it compares to my other motors so I'll have an idea of how it wants to be geared. But if those numbers that micros_rock posted are true, then that could be a pretty stout motor(it's most likely numbers from the Fantom dyno, which Trinity/Epic use nowadays), but really the track will be the real test......
Old 02-21-2005, 12:54 AM
Tech Master

Yes, the numbers I posted are from the Trinity labels, which are rated at 5 volts. TRAJ, assuming that the motor you have is a stock, it's probably the max output numbers, which isn't that good.

I'm not at all playing the number game, I just want to make sure I don't get a dog.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well again, that's why going by just a couple of numbers really isn't enough. As a matter of fact, I've had a few motors that looked good in the power & rpm numbers on my Robi, but when you looked at the time to reach top rpm & the torque, it didn't quite measure up as well, & ontrack, the motor would bear it out(would generally feel kinda soft, not much punch to it, & on anything less than a BIG track, it wouldn't be well suited), while I'll see others that don't have the biggest power numbers, but the rpm is good & the time to speed is good, & those generally turn out to be pretty sweet motors. But unfortunately, most manufacturers don't print a time to speed figure on their labels, so you have to guess at it(but at least some torque numbers can be helpful)....
Old 02-21-2005, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

As you said, the track is the true test.

But in general, a stock motor with numbers like 21000RPM, 67W, and 101nMM is going to be more likely to perform better than a motor with 19000RPM, 58W, and 93nMM.
Old 02-21-2005, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (92%+)

the mid to high 20 000 is what you are aiming for but that is just the motor with no load so in the end on the car u will probably pull about 19 000.

most of my motors are aroung 25 000 - 28 000 on the much more motor master. but i do have a mate which has got 32 000 rpm out of a epic monster. our draws dropped.