Quesions about 1/12 scale >

Quesions about 1/12 scale

Quesions about 1/12 scale

Old 02-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Quesions about 1/12 scale

I don't know if this is the board to ask this, so move if you want to:

I'm thinking of getting back into electric racing, and would like to do 1/12 scale. I"m planning on just doing local club racing in the Stock class (so I won't need all High-end equipment). I would like to hear from some of you here on what I should get as far as:

1. chassis (I am looking at a CRC)
2. ESC
3. Batteries (Would like to get 4, 4-cell packs)
4. Charger (my AC/DC I don't think does 4 cells, I have another thread on this board about it) Also power supply if DC chargers is the only way to go

I"m not worried about radio or servo, since I already have a good Radio and reciever, and I have spare servos around to put in the car. Also, what else would I need to run?

thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Re: Quesions about 1/12 scale

Originally posted by Evilpete

1. chassis (I am looking at a CRC)
2. ESC
3. Batteries (Would like to get 4, 4-cell packs)
4. Charger (my AC/DC I don't think does 4 cells, I have another thread on this board about it) Also power supply if DC chargers is the only way to go

I just got a crc 6 pack off these forums and once I got the rear end put together correctly and some new tires the thing handles awesome!! I think parts may be harder to get than say for a associated car. Ya, I like to be able to order off tower.

I first had a novak dually in it. Kinda big but worked really good. Put a lrp quantum 2 in it I had. Fits much nicer. The reciever I just mounted on top the servo.

There are LRP pulsar chargers in the for sale thread here for a very good price. I got one and it works great for me, as I also don't need the very high end stuff. You can set the amps, the cut off, it'll break in motors, run a comm lathe, and discharge at 10 amps.

As far as batteries.. just depends what ya want I suppose. You want to run with the boys in the A or in the B/C. Me I didn't care and got two six cell packs of 3300's off ebay for 23 bux. Split em into three 4 cell packs. They work fine for me. In 1/10 oval I didn't plan to run but the B main. 1/12 road coarse I haven't actually raced yet, but think I'll be A or B in that. We'll see.

I'm sure you'll get some better opinions here than mine. That's cool, I'm just a gas racer doing some winter indoor. I don't know much about electric. Just letting you know you can have tons of fun with the old "run what ya brung" stuff too.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

the surface you are racing on will make a small difference potentially on which chassis to select.

The Assoc RC12L4 is a very good car. Much improved over the L3 and of course parts are easy to get. Most 12th's have a lot of AE parts on them so it usually isn't a major problem.

ESC: These cars are small and light and you want a speedo to match. I always ran Novak speedo until I got a 12th. I use the LRP quantum and Quantum Comp2. The new Novak is very small as well, but I have not run it.

You said you have a servo, so I will assume it is a mini servo not a standard size. If it is standard you will need a mini. The futaba 9602 or a 9650 (digital) is a good one as well as the KO minis.

Batteries. Right now 3300's are the highest capacity that is Roar legal. I personally like Pro match, but will use Checkpoint as soon as they become available. Most of the matchers are pretty good and you have several good choices. SMC is another one and there are plenty of others. If you are running stock, I would get the highest voltage and highest runtime you are willing to afford. In stock you are limited in horsepower by the motor so while it is minor, every little bit helps. Also, it is definitely possible to dump even in stock when running 8 mins.

Chargers: I already have a power supply, so I have Competition electronics chargers. They are great. LRP also has good chargers and there are a few others.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Almost everthing AE fits on a CRC.... The smallest electronics you can afford are always the best....

Pete, I gather you're going to run at Willis with us.... There seems to be no advantage in the T bar cars (12L3/4, CRC T force) over the Link cars (Carpet Knife, Rev 4 and various conversions) down there....

Will is carried CRC and I've been discussing with Ken on what parts to keep in stock...
Old 02-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i started out with a switchblade that i baught used for 65 bucks, i practiced with it twice found out i couldnt get parts for it. sold it.

baught a 12l4 the next day. LOVE IT but cant drive it or set it up to save my life lol. ive got an old cyclone speedo(around 50 bucks), and a cheapy hitch 225mg servo(40 bucks), and i run mod cause thats what everyone else does, so i run a speed gems 10x2(40 bucks) i already had chargers and just broke down some 6 cell packs i had. and i got tires off ebay for 20 bucks, so total for my car to run cost me 350 pretty cheap i think.

if you need a charger, theres tons going for cheap in the for sale forum i bet you can find a power supply in there for cheap as well, if you need batts, you can probably get 2 or 4, 6 cell packs and make 4 cell packs out of them cheaper than buying individual 4 cell packs, id buy new batts if i could afford them cause you just cant tell by looking at pictures how well the batterys were taken care of or how old they are.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for the help guys, really helped out a lot. I gotta look into Ebay and the for sale boards. I still got to get some $$ up for this, but hopefully in a ocuple months i'll get all the stuff I need.