R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Let's be honest, boost was great for the crowd of guys that's always blaming electronics. Because they could slide everything to max on their hotwire and pull people on the straight. Who cares if the car was impossible to to drive in the infield?

How many times, during the boost days, did you hear some mixer say "did you see how fast my *ish was on the straight? I was pulling <insert fast guy> so hard!"

It's all about perception. Boost made you feel fast even though you're not.
I vehemently disagree with this. I really like boost and really hate blinky, but it is certainly not for the reasons you've stated.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #62
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanP View Post
My only fear if timing was in play is that I would be buying new speed controls instead of motors. I'll drop $80 a motor a few times then have choices and be done. I don't want to buy speed control's every few months cause one updated the boost profile and is faster.

I don't care if its boosted or not. That would be my fear if boost was common though is we would be buying Esc's not motors or a rotor here and there.
Tekin fixed the "update" issue by giving racers free consistent software updates. Awesome QoS. Before I knew it, 90% of our racers were running tekins. With blinky, all of a sudden, you don't need a tekin anymore. Now you spend more on getting the best motors money can buy as a monthly installment. Various manufactures = your wallet =
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:

This part is 100% correct in my opinion. Lap times don't lie...
Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #64
Tech Master

Quote:
Let's be honest, boost was great for the crowd of guys that's always blaming electronics. Because they could slide everything to max on their hotwire and pull people on the straight. Who cares if the car was impossible to to drive in the infield?

How many times, during the boost days, did you hear some mixer say "did you see how fast my *ish was on the straight? I was pulling <insert fast guy> so hard!"

your comment sounds more like a personal issue than aiming at a constructive argument. We had some of the closest racing in 13.5 boosted with 75% the racers on the same lap all the way.

and boost does not make you fast. Fast guys are fast no matter what they drive. Have we forgotten the importance of "consistency"?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #65
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbones View Post
your comment sounds more like a personal issue than aiming at a constructive argument. We had some of the closest racing in 13.5 boosted with 75% the racers on the same lap all the way.
All I'm saying is that boost didn't even things out the way people think it did. You still needed good equipment to be fast and drivable. Turning the sliders up on a bad motor to make it fast on the straight still made it a light switch in the infield.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
All I'm saying is that boost didn't even things out the way people think it did. You still needed good equipment to be fast and drivable. Turning the sliders up on a bad motor to make it fast on the straight still made it a light switch in the infield.
Boost has come a long way in the past couple of years. There are now many competitive boosted ESCs that have a nice smooth linear throttle feel.

ORCA, Orion, Hobbywing, Tekin and others are now nothing like the boost you are describing.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #67
Tech Master

Quote:
well, that's their choice if they want to run a craptastic motor, but blowing away people on the straight and then getting out cornered in the infield is a bit of a shame right? What you described is typically what happens in high powered classes where there is a lot of motor left for the infield. Inexperienced drivers usually have only on/off for their throttle finger. Mastering partial throttle is key in boosted(or any racing). It certainly made me a better driver.

this whole blinky vs boosted is like the chicken and egg argument. there is no definitive answer. You choose if want to take the red pill or the blue pill.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Quote:
well, that's their choice if they want to run a craptastic motor, but blowing away people on the straight and then getting out cornered in the infield is a bit of a shame right? What you described is typically what happens in high powered classes where there is a lot of motor left for the infield. Inexperienced drivers usually have only on/off for their throttle finger. Mastering partial throttle is key in boosted(or any racing). It certainly made me a better driver.

this whole blinky vs boosted is like the chicken and egg argument. there is no definitive answer. You choose if want to take the red pill or the blue pill.
Best post yet!
HawaiiBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:

Problem is we cannot choose the choice has been made without our consent. I really liked boost, not because I could rip the straight but because it brought back alittle bit of racing tunning. Make no mistake I dont miss the days of needing 10 battery packs to run, and rebuilding motors after every run, cutting coms, etc. But blinky requires allmost no thought or stratagy, plunk in your 17.5, crank the endbell, put the biggest pinion you have on and thats it. Great for todays 8th place participation ribbon thinkers, I'm old school and think that some tinkering(other than spending lots of cash on rotors and motors/batts) is what this hobby is supposed to be about. I have never been the fast guy and I did'nt have boosted all figured out, but I enjoyed the stratigy of boost. I have to run blinky now but it sucks; end of story.

Just to add in looking at most of the responses to these boost threads those against boost run TC those for it run pan, interesting.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

and boost does not make you fast. Fast guys are fast no matter what they drive. Have we forgotten the importance of "consistency"
I think your going to find close racing boosted or not. I can't see some top guys just dropping way off the top cause they stopped running boost. Now Im Immune as I never personally ran boost except in modified.

so +1 on the consistency....god I need to work on mine.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Tekin fixed the "update" issue by giving racers free consistent software updates. Awesome QoS. Before I knew it, 90% of our racers were running tekins. With blinky, all of a sudden, you don't need a tekin anymore. Now you spend more on getting the best motors money can buy as a monthly installment. Various manufactures = your wallet =
Right, because when boost was dominant people weren't jumping from one speedo to the next. Gee, let's add up the cost of a tekin+black diamond and maybe toss in a castle for good measure. Was everyone doing this? Of course not. It is just as silly a presumption that the average club racer is going to be ordering motors by the gross because of blinky. Some will regardless of blinky or boosted. It works for them. It isn't a ROAR conspiracy, it is the way some people approach the hobby.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #72
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Right, because when boost was dominant people weren't jumping from one speedo to the next. Gee, let's add up the cost of a tekin+black diamond and maybe toss in a castle for good measure. Was everyone doing this? Of course not. It is just as silly a presumption that the average club racer is going to be ordering motors by the gross because of blinky. Some will regardless of blinky or boosted. It works for them. It isn't a ROAR conspiracy, it is the way some people approach the hobby.
correct, majority of people don't want to do that. But there will be those few tweakers that ruin it for the casuals. clubs that jump on this bandwagon will create situations where those tweakers will be forced to get into a blinky class that was considered for novice racers. This can averted by creating a mod class. Keep it simple by having one stock(blinky) and mod(boosted). having more than 2 TC classes is a waste of time imo.

Look at all the boosted races. Which esc had the most shares in the a main?
That's bad for a competitive industry, but why penalize a company for making a good product with great service? If that's the case, other companies should strive to meet those standards or be left in the dust. That's how a free market works.

Why is ROAR the holy grail of RC? You are all ignorant if you think a large organization like that is not moved by political agendas. Whatever it is, when ROAR speaks, the trend is set whether you like it or not...
Old 06-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #73
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:

Look at all the boosted races. Which esc had the most shares in the a main?
That's bad for a competitive industry, but why penalize a company for making a good product with great service? If that's the case, other companies should strive to meet those standards or be left in the dust. That's how a free market works.

Why is ROAR the holy grail of RC? You are all ignorant if you think a large organization like that is not moved by political agendas. Whatever it is, when ROAR speaks, the trend is set whether you like it or not...
Here's the thing about the free market. People are also free to race off road, or quit racing altogether. In my area, racing picked back up after a bad slide with boosted when blinky became the class to run. I think the market we are talking about is the track's attendance. Again, maybe where I live is some anomaly, but that is what I have seen. Even the offroad track went to blinky.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #74
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Here's the thing about the free market. People are also free to race off road, or quit racing altogether. In my area, racing picked back up after a bad slide with boosted when blinky became the class to run. I think the market we are talking about is the track's attendance. Again, maybe where I live is some anomaly, but that is what I have seen. Even the offroad track went to blinky.
that's because blinky was advertised as a novice class that everyone has a chance to win at. It's good to go back to basics, but that doesn't mean that boost should turn into lost technology.
But if boost cannot be used in ROAR sanctioned races anymore, companies like Tekin will have no business doing further R/D into boost technology. In the near future though, boost will be somehow "rediscovered" again, rinse and repeat.

We've got too many motors. If the industry wants to go 100% blinky, some of the in-between motors should go. seriously, it is not much of a step up from 17.5 to 13.5.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #75
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Problem is we cannot choose the choice has been made without our consent.
So does every rule change have to have everyones consent before they go through? We would still be running brushed motors if that was the case.

Whatever your personal opinion the majority prefer blinky, the IIC wouldn't be running blinky if they thought boosted was more popular. Scotty isn't just going to deliberately create classes that are unpopular, as drivers can choose to race there or not and the IIC has to pay for itself the classes run are what they think will attract the most racers.

If you don't want to run blinky then go find a race running boosted instead, if everyone who wants to run boosted doesn't sign up to the IIC and there is a lack of numbers then Scotty will know what the majority wants. I suspect they will have no problem filling all the spaces at the IIC.
terry.sc is offline   Reply With Quote