Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm totally stealing that idea with the silicone tubing. I never thought of that!!!

-Korey
Old 11-18-2008, 03:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
I'm totally stealing that idea with the silicone tubing. I never thought of that!!!

-Korey
YGM
Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
It's some nice info on setting rebound on the Tamiya 416 thread. I plan on trying it out when I rebuild my car tomorrow for this weekends carpet run.
Where are u racing carpet?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Where are u racing carpet?
We are all going to Chico this weekend. Gonna be a blast.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
We are all going to Chico this weekend. Gonna be a blast.
Ohh nice!

good luck!!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Ohh nice!

good luck!!
I plan on seeking revenge on all Tamiya's this weekend. Norcal 416's will feel my pain
Old 11-19-2008, 01:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

RcPete:
thanks for the explanation - I read it many times and try to understand it in my little mind... maybe I'm missing something (and I prolly am as you seem to be a sensible person ) but I don't understand how damping, which is created by the oil going through the piston holes, can be affected by the membrane "preload"... I guess I'll have to think about it more

Korey:
Billet plates - awesome product, unfortunately the price (esp as I'm living overseas) is a killer for me. looks bloody gorgeous though. Thanks for the link

Now going to the 416 thread

Paul
Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Tech Adept

Hey

Another question

I dunno if somebode ask that before, but is it ok to use Tamiya 3 hole pistons in HB Cyclone TC shocks?

I measured those Tamiya and HB pistons last night and it look like Tamiya piston was smaller dia that HB one. I use original 2 hole pistons at the moment, but think some options to try

Just make sure if it doesn`t matter..
Old 11-19-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke

-Korey
U care to share the idea
Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default A little Dilemma...

Last edited by RCBuddha; 11-19-2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
RcPete:
thanks for the explanation - I read it many times and try to understand it in my little mind... maybe I'm missing something (and I prolly am as you seem to be a sensible person ) but I don't understand how damping, which is created by the oil going through the piston holes, can be affected by the membrane "preload"... I guess I'll have to think about it more
I think I know what you're getting at, Paul... the bladder doesn't offer that much resistance... and you're right. I think that more of the pre-load pressure comes from compressing the air pocket above the bladder, rather than the bladder itself. I've seen some off-road shocks a while back that actually had a hole in the top cap, which produced very little rebound even with a stiff bladder.

In terms of what the extra bit of preload pressure does:
It slightly increases the oil pressure over top of the piston, which directly affects the damping effect.

If you were to move the shaft in and out at nearly 0 speed you would experience no damping effect at all. When you move the shaft quicker, lets say on the up stroke, fluild dynamics take over and higher pressure is created above the piston and lower pressure below. The effective damping effect is the sum of these pressures above and below the piston.
With the pre-load we create (extra bit of pressure above the piston), it adds to the damping effect on the up-stroke and reduces it on the down stroke.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc pete
I think I know what you're getting at, Paul... the bladder doesn't offer that much resistance... and you're right. I think that more of the pre-load pressure comes from compressing the air pocket above the bladder, rather than the bladder itself. I've seen some off-road shocks a while back that actually had a hole in the top cap, which produced very little rebound even with a stiff bladder.

In terms of what the extra bit of preload pressure does:
It slightly increases the oil pressure over top of the piston, which directly affects the damping effect.

If you were to move the shaft in and out at nearly 0 speed you would experience no damping effect at all. When you move the shaft quicker, lets say on the up stroke, fluild dynamics take over and higher pressure is created above the piston and lower pressure below. The effective damping effect is the sum of these pressures above and below the piston.
With the pre-load we create (extra bit of pressure above the piston), it adds to the damping effect on the up-stroke and reduces it on the down stroke.

ha - yes, I think I get it now. I'm a bit old school so I'm always thinking old shocks with drilled caps... beginning to make sens now.

ok - then rebound actually "works" as long as fluid flow is laminar. When turbulent this is washed away, hence the impact on sweepers rather than quick chicanes... interesting.

now I need to learn how not to hit any boards first.

Thanks for taking the time to explain - sounds like there are still knowledgeable people on this forum after all

Paul
Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cruisaaja
Hey

Another question

I dunno if somebode ask that before, but is it ok to use Tamiya 3 hole pistons in HB Cyclone TC shocks?

I measured those Tamiya and HB pistons last night and it look like Tamiya piston was smaller dia that HB one. I use original 2 hole pistons at the moment, but think some options to try

I currently use the tamiya pistons. It makes the dampening/pack a tiny bit less. We ran into the same situation when I ran for Corally. The Corally shocks are pretty similar as far as inner diameter goes. It's just a little different, but I haven't really been able to tell a difference between the HB 1.1mm 3 hole pistons and the tamiya 3 holes on the track yet.

-Korey
Old 11-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dannybcaitlyn
U care to share the idea
Here's the idea

http://www.rctech.net/forum/5065051-post3335.html

-Korey
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cruisaaja
Hey

Another question

I have them in my shocks right now and they seem just fine. I may be switching back to the HB 3 hole pistons for this weekend though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.