Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
Depends if you are running a 27T or 17.5 motor.

27T CO27 gear 6.5 - 7.0 FDR (with rubber tires) depending on track and your particular motor.
-with a 96T spur you would need between a 33T - 36T pinion.

17.5 needs A LOT more gear. Try down in the 3.5 FDR range. Again, track size, motor brand and batteries all play a role in finding the proper gearing.
-you will need to get a smaller spur to reach the low ratios needed for stock brushless motors. Probably something around 88T spur and some high 50's pinions.

On another note: I have heard the stock C-hubs included with the Cyclone S are rather brittle. You might want to get some of the carbon C-hubs if you break the stock ones. The carbon hubs are the same hubs that come standard on the WCE and TC versions of the Cyclone.

HPI73518 4 degree carbon c-hubs

for 17.5 you're gonna want an 80t spur gear from here...
http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/products/26

and a range of pinions from which i suggest 54-58.
http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/products/7

I run 80/57 in cyclone with an orion 17.5

Originally Posted by Denso
Thanks to those whom have replied. I appreciate it.

I guess I just want to make sure I pick up a a good chassis in the Cyclone S.

I can't afford the TC spec right now, but just want a good competitive car out of the box. I just don't want to pony up the cash for a Cyclone S and then HB release and 2.0 version. That is why I asked if anyone here has any information if a new or revised Cyclone S will be released in the near future.

Any info?

Thanks,
hs
dont worry about that. The regular Cyclone S is doing well enough in sales and such that theres no need to update or re-release it and even so, if an update was released it would not be substantial (as is the story with regular cyclones. The original black one is still competitve and thats HOW many updates later?).
Old 11-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ShaunMac
Depends if you are running a 27T or 17.5 motor.

[27T CO27 gear 6.5 - 7.0 FDR (with rubber tires) depending on track and your particular motor.
-with a 96T spur you would need between a 33T - 36T pinion.]

17.5 needs A LOT more gear. Try down in the 3.5 FDR range. Again, track size, motor brand and batteries all play a role in finding the proper gearing.
-you will need to get a smaller spur to reach the low ratios needed for stock brushless motors. Probably something around 88T spur and some high 50's pinions.

On another note: I have heard the stock C-hubs included with the Cyclone S are rather brittle. You might want to get some of the carbon C-hubs if you break the stock ones. The carbon hubs are the same hubs that come standard on the WCE and TC versions of the Cyclone.

HPI73518 4 degree carbon c-hubs

I'll be running a Team Orion Core Stock 27T motor w/ Maxamps 6 cell 4600's so you think anywhere between 33 and 36t would be good? I noticed on the Hotbodies site that the RTR comes w/ a 42t pinion and a 27t motor. Also for those of us dumb in the ways of electric what does FDR mean. I have no idea what you mean when you say 6.5-7.0 FDR. And thanks for the heads up w/ the hubs
Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

FDR= FINAL DRIVE RATIO

All motors have a sweet spot to be run at. The FDR is what most run that particular motor at and they may only have to be geared up or down one tooth depending on the track layout.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Core stock's are weird to gear compared to Trinity motors. I cant help you there.

by the way
spur/pinion X internal drive ratio (should be 2.4375 for the cyclone) = FDR
Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

At the 1st Leg of the Western Canadian Indoor Championship Series (www.wcics.ca), I picked up the TQ and win in 19T with the Cyclone (unfortunately, we don't run mod in the series).
The XRay Canada team was out in full force (8 of them in the A-main, and 1 TC5), so it was nice to get the Cyclone dialed in.
For those of you running Rubber tires on Carpet, I'm including my setup. It's pretty close to one of Andy Moore's.

Pete
Attached Files

Last edited by rc pete; 11-12-2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: corrected setup sheet: used spool not one-way
Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rc pete
At the 1st Leg of the Western Canadian Indoor Championship Series (www.wcics.ca), I picked up the TQ and win in 19T with the Cyclone (unfortunately, we don't run mod in the series).
The XRay Canada team was out in full force (8 of them in the A-main, and 1 TC5), so it was nice to get the Cyclone dialed in.
For those of you running Rubber tires on Carpet, I'm including my setup. It's pretty close to one of Andy Moore's.

Pete
Does anyone run a center oneway along with the front??? Just curious to know if that helps the car out any or is it overkill??
Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Pete
What an awesome news!
Congrats on your winning of the WCICS!! Great job...
If you have any pics from the event, please send them to me at [email protected] I will put those on our web with the report.

Thanks!!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by STLNLST
Does anyone run a center oneway along with the front??? Just curious to know if that helps the car out any or is it overkill??
Good catch, I was running a spool, not the one way up front. I did try the one way, because traction was good, but the car didn't transition as smoothly. One of the other Cyclone guys was trying a center one-way with the spool up front, but it didn't work out.

But in general, if you were running the front one-way, the center one-way wouldn't do much, since the front wheels are free-wheeling off power anyway. The only case where the center one-way would do something for you would be if you were running a diff or a spool up front. That's my take, but I recall seeing some old Massami Yokomo touring car setups where he did end up using both one-ways, for whatever reason.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow
What an awesome news!
Congrats on your winning of the WCICS!! Great job...
If you have any pics from the event, please send them to me at [email protected] I will put those on our web with the report.

Thanks!!
Sounds good. I'll get in touch with some of the guys who took pics and send them along.
Pete
Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by STLNLST

My take on this is that the center one way removes what little drag is left from the rear diff.. This is suppose to make the car easier to drive then just using the front one way. I'm planning on testing this tomorrow along with a diff and a center one way. Some of the fast guys at my track are running a front one way without a center one way so I'm curious to see what it feels like. What I don't like is that you lose braking. I remember driving a front one way years ago and it was a handful. We'll see ........
Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Tech Regular

Good catch, I was running a spool, not the one way up front. I did try the one way, because traction was good, but the car didn't transition as smoothly. One of the other Cyclone guys was trying a center one-way with the spool up front, but it didn't work out.

But in general, if you were running the front one-way, the center one-way wouldn't do much, since the front wheels are free-wheeling off power anyway. The only case where the center one-way would do something for you would be if you were running a diff or a spool up front. That's my take, but I recall seeing some old Massami Yokomo touring car setups where he did end up using both one-ways, for whatever reason.
In your setup sheet you have the one-way, with the spool on the carpet do your car push when entering corners? I tried the spool before and my car push what did you do to get the push out?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Some comments about that???

Old 11-12-2008, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Interesting discussion on rebound here.

One thing I never understood is how the little force generated by a latex membrane can make such a change once it is added to the stiff springs we are running on the four corners of the cars... when you consider the spring stiffness, that bladder pushes almost nothing... The foams I understand, they suddenly stiffen the suspension big time (closed cells) but the membrane-generated rebound, I just don't get it...

Thanks

Paul
Anyone? Or does it mean everyone does it without really understanding why???

Paul
Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airwave

tiens t'es la aussi, toi?

He, tu peux pas me preter un lipo samedi stp? Mes deux poulain vont etre a la totale ramasse (et moi aussi si je dois gerer leurs NiMH)...

Marrant aussi de voir que les images de littlerc.com sont bloquees...

a+
Paul
Old 11-12-2008, 06:03 AM
Tech Adept

Oh My God!!

I bought mine Cyclone TC the 1 month ago and its already exceeded?

why does this chassis is so similar to the xray?

Originally Posted by Airwave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.