Hot Bodies Cyclone


Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 PM
  #14671  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
shadow102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,441
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Couple things to think about. Pick up a set of 1.1mm 3 hole shock pistons made a large difference in my handling. You can use springs from alot of different manufacturers, if you have anything left over from the xray you can use them but to get started you can go with the Pro4 spring kit although you wont use much over the white springs.

For parts you can also look at speedtechrc, amainhobbies, and tower
shadow102 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 AM
  #14672  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (25)
 
peetiewonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: west hills, ca
Posts: 373
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zdiddy View Post
Hey guys, I have sold all my X-Ray equipment and am seriously considering making a switch to a Cyclone and hoped that some of you Cyclone owners would be willing to answer a few questions for me. Some (or all) of this may be addressed in the other 14,667 posts, but I just don't have the time or energy to wade through all of them. OK, here it goes. My LHS doens't currently stock Cyclone parts, although he can get Hot Bodies products and I will likely have him order everything to get me started and hopefully talk him into eventually stocking a few consumables for the car. I have looked on HB's website as well as Stormer Hobbies. HB apparently doesn't list all of the parts that are actually available on their website. I don't find a sway bar kit, but on Stormer's site I find a complete kit for the Cyclone S, will these work on the Cyclone TC? Stormer does list a complete set of springs. Are these all the springs that I might potentially need for asphalt and/or rubber tire carpet racing? I think some run HPI springs sometimes?? I have read that the hinge pins tend to break and should be replaced with Titanium ones. Again, I find these for the "S", but not for the "TC". Will these interchange? If and when I decide to order the car, I plan to order everything that I could possibly need for tuning the car, from springs, to pivot blocks, to sway bars, etc..... and a good assortment of spares (arms, c hubs, steering knuckles, etc...) I tend to like to do things first class right from the start, so do you guys have any other suggestions for add-ons? I see an option for purple Titanium links, are the stock ones in the kit not Ti? Does anyone happen to know if the Platinum Edition Orion 5000 lipo will fit without too much modification? How do you guys secure your lipos in the chassis? Sorry for the flood of questions, just trying to inform myself as well as possible before making the final decision. Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Zach
the sways for the cyclone s should be the same as the ones for regular cyclones. all the parts are interchangeable from cyclone s to cyclone tc which is really convinent so those parts you see for the s should work on any other cyclone.

springs, couldnt tell ya, i drift.

as far as spares go, a couple of key spares to have will be c hubs, arms, and pulleys.

you should be able to use a 5000 lipo on your car. i run trakpower 4900lipos on my cyclones with no modification (cf chassis) the plastic tub is a little bit tighter fit because of the raised side edge. as far as securing the battery, i use strapping tape on one, the other one is getting a battery brace off of an xray which can be modified for use on a cyclone, although this requires you drilling your chassis to install it. another option is the 3racing straps, which also require drilling and dont go on as cleanly as the xray strap.

also, if you can find one, you may want to consider the WCE cyclone, because it comes with all the titanium elements.
peetiewonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 AM
  #14673  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Adrian, MI
Posts: 823
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

[QUOTE=Zdiddy;5138829] complete set of springs. Are these all the springs that I might potentially need for asphalt and/or rubber tire carpet racing? I think some run HPI springs sometimes??

The HPI spring set is all you should need, you'll find the length is just right.

when I decide to order the car, I plan to order everything that I could possibly need for tuning the car, from springs, to pivot blocks, to sway bars, etc..... and a good assortment of spares (arms, c hubs, steering knuckles, etc...) I tend to like to do things first class right from the start, so do you guys have any other suggestions for add-ons? /QUOTE]

Get aluminum steering knuckles and titanium ball studs right from the start.
If you run anything more then stock get aluminum pro spec out drives, your diffs will last a long long time with them.

Look at RC Market, they have all the right stuff for my Cyclone almost all the time.
Lazer Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:04 AM
  #14674  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
VooDooPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,715
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

if you're getting the TC, the outer hinge pins tend to break easily (at least in my experience)... get the gold/titanium coated ones already. also the arms... go for the WC ones...
VooDooPH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:22 PM
  #14675  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (11)
 
mangoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,981
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Um do you mean the inner hinge pins? I have never broken an outter one.

If thats what you are talking about, they dont break but they can get bent easily if you crash hard a lot (which then seriously effects the handling).

Also in my opinion the titanium coated ones are not worth getting. They are no harder just meant to be smoother. If you gently ream out the arm with a drill bit you should be able to get the arm to pivot smoothly on the hinge pin anyway.

But ultimately the best thing i have is a p-dub bumper which helps to protect the suspension more because it is wider than the stock bumper.
mangoman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 PM
  #14676  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Zdiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Bullring
Posts: 746
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming. I'm not finding a P Dub bumper specifically for the Cyclone. Are you guys just using the generic TC bumper that they offer?
Zdiddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
  #14677  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (25)
 
peetiewonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: west hills, ca
Posts: 373
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

also fyi, to get more clearance for batteries you can grind out the piece oppoiste the motor mount to fit taller batts in there.
peetiewonder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:22 PM
  #14678  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (138)
 
SammyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by VooDooPH View Post
if you're getting the TC, the outer hinge pins tend to break easily (at least in my experience)... get the gold/titanium coated ones already. also the arms... go for the WC ones...
I broke an outer Ti coated one and i don't even know how! Also the inner pins bend pretty easily in a good hit.
SammyZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
  #14679  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (138)
 
SammyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Zdiddy View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. Keep them coming. I'm not finding a P Dub bumper specifically for the Cyclone. Are you guys just using the generic TC bumper that they offer?
the parma T2 bumper fits with slight modifcation to the holes, its easy. Good fit.
SammyZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 PM
  #14680  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Zdiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Bullring
Posts: 746
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Do any of you guys have a part # for the Ti ball studs as well as the inner and outer Ti hinge pins?
Zdiddy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
  #14681  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
VooDooPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,715
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
Um do you mean the inner hinge pins? I have never broken an outter one.

If thats what you are talking about, they dont break but they can get bent easily if you crash hard a lot (which then seriously effects the handling).

Also in my opinion the titanium coated ones are not worth getting. They are no harder just meant to be smoother. If you gently ream out the arm with a drill bit you should be able to get the arm to pivot smoothly on the hinge pin anyway.

But ultimately the best thing i have is a p-dub bumper which helps to protect the suspension more because it is wider than the stock bumper.
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
I broke an outer Ti coated one and i don't even know how! Also the inner pins bend pretty easily in a good hit.

I guess its just me then... broke 2 of them already. the 1st one broke before finishing the 2nd pack of my kits maiden run. 2nd outer pin broke during a race just a few days after the 1st one broke.
VooDooPH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
  #14682  
Tech Addict
 
bigz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: QC/Las Pinas
Posts: 502
Default

Originally Posted by Zdiddy View Post
Hey guys, I have sold all my X-Ray equipment and am seriously considering making a switch to a Cyclone and hoped that some of you Cyclone owners would be willing to answer a few questions for me. Some (or all) of this may be addressed in the other 14,667 posts, but I just don't have the time or energy to wade through all of them. OK, here it goes. My LHS doens't currently stock Cyclone parts, although he can get Hot Bodies products and I will likely have him order everything to get me started and hopefully talk him into eventually stocking a few consumables for the car. I have looked on HB's website as well as Stormer Hobbies. HB apparently doesn't list all of the parts that are actually available on their website. I don't find a sway bar kit, but on Stormer's site I find a complete kit for the Cyclone S, will these work on the Cyclone TC? Stormer does list a complete set of springs. Are these all the springs that I might potentially need for asphalt and/or rubber tire carpet racing? I think some run HPI springs sometimes?? I have read that the hinge pins tend to break and should be replaced with Titanium ones. Again, I find these for the "S", but not for the "TC". Will these interchange? If and when I decide to order the car, I plan to order everything that I could possibly need for tuning the car, from springs, to pivot blocks, to sway bars, etc..... and a good assortment of spares (arms, c hubs, steering knuckles, etc...) I tend to like to do things first class right from the start, so do you guys have any other suggestions for add-ons? I see an option for purple Titanium links, are the stock ones in the kit not Ti? Does anyone happen to know if the Platinum Edition Orion 5000 lipo will fit without too much modification? How do you guys secure your lipos in the chassis? Sorry for the flood of questions, just trying to inform myself as well as possible before making the final decision. Any and all help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Zach
the stock ones are steel. using the 5000 lipo will fit with no modification, just don't use the included battery tray. for the pivot blocks you can start with 1.5 to 3 for the rear depending on the track you're racing but the stock blocks will do for almost any track. just stock the c-hubs and arms plus the outer hinge pins. hb also has aluminum sway bar mounts for the tc which will make life more enjoyable when adjusting the sway bar tension. hope this helps.
bigz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:32 PM
  #14683  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7
Default

Originally Posted by VooDooPH View Post
I guess its just me then... broke 2 of them already. the 1st one broke before finishing the 2nd pack of my kits maiden run. 2nd outer pin broke during a race just a few days after the 1st one broke.
Hey,

its not only you. The outer pins of the TC are crap. I broke all 4 really fast. Then I installed the old ones and I have no more problems (like before with the WCE or old cyclone). One broke from just rolling over a curb.

mfg MaddinK
Maddink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM
  #14684  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (8)
 
Herc Driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Arizona
Posts: 526
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Do Lipos such as Orion's 3200 etc's fit without a problem?
Herc Driver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:09 PM
  #14685  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
shadow102's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,441
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Herc Driver View Post
Do Lipos such as Orion's 3200 etc's fit without a problem?
absolutely. I was able to run a 3600 with no clearance issue.
shadow102 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service