Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats a tough one. I have ZERO experience with foam tire asphalt racing. If you're tries are coning a lot, usually we just run a little more camber to counteract that. If it's still coning a lot, maybe run fewer shims on the camber link so there is more camber when the suspension is compressed.

I know on carpet with foam tires, I usually run more camber than normal. I usually ran about 3 deg in the back, and 2 deg up front.

-Korey
Old 01-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Korey,
Ackerman has been talked about alot but if you build the TC to the kit setup you end up with the steering links angled forward. I think this is because of the new symmetrical arm design which moves the c hub forward.
What effect does a forward angle on the steering links have on the car ?
Thanks.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

It doesn't really matter so much about swept forward or back... it's more the angle in general.

The more the links are swept (fewer shims in our case like... 2mm), the smoother your initial steering will be. You'll usually get a little more mid-exit as well.

The straighter they are (more shims like... 4mm), I've found it to make the car more reactive and edgy around center, but not as much steering through the middle and exit of the corner.

-Korey
Old 01-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Thats a tough one. I have ZERO experience with foam tire asphalt racing. If you're tries are coning a lot, usually we just run a little more camber to counteract that. If it's still coning a lot, maybe run fewer shims on the camber link so there is more camber when the suspension is compressed.

I know on carpet with foam tires, I usually run more camber than normal. I usually ran about 3 deg in the back, and 2 deg up front.

-Korey
That's great thanks Korey. I am still usnure about foams, but have 5 full new seats and afew older sets, so figured I might as well try and get the hang of it. We have big air temp differences down here, and the track temps vary heaps through the day, so guys change their rubber 2 or 3 times a day for difference compounds. I'm hoping foams will get rid of that!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Cut top and rear deck

I run on a small tight (75x35) carpet track with med to high grip, I have a lipo topdeck on it and didn't want to cut it unless it would help and i don't have any clue as whether or not to cut the rear, but my car has VERYAGRESSIVE sreering and I have tried many setups and let other local top drivers try to tune on it and we cannot call down the steering. If I could calm down the initial turnin then I can live with the rest, but its so aggressive i'm scared to turn the wheel! And I have tried turning the speed and expo way down on the radio. It is a wce cyclone with FRP middeck and lipo topdeck running 17.5 with jaco blues. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gwoodrc
I run on a small tight (75x35) carpet track with med to high grip, I have a lipo topdeck on it and didn't want to cut it unless it would help and i don't have any clue as whether or not to cut the rear, but my car has VERYAGRESSIVE sreering and I have tried many setups and let other local top drivers try to tune on it and we cannot call down the steering. If I could calm down the initial turnin then I can live with the rest, but its so aggressive i'm scared to turn the wheel! And I have tried turning the speed and expo way down on the radio. It is a wce cyclone with FRP middeck and lipo topdeck running 17.5 with jaco blues. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
i usually find that if i have to much initial i change the front toe block from 2.5 to 1.5 or even 1!! it gives more mid steer i find and less initial which the cyclone sometimes has to much of.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
I posted a few days back for a starting outdoor set-up but got no response. Any help?
It is a very large asphalt track (back straight about 60m) and I am running Foam, 13.5 Tekin with Lipo.
We have a big meet coming up, and I don't have much tim to get down for practice so i'm keen to get a starting set-up.
One thing I have noticed since i've been running foam is that my rear tyres are coning a lot, fronts are fine.
Set-up is along the lines of:
FRONT
Gold springs, 50wt, std piston
top middle shock
bottom middle shock
1 degree toe block
1 degree toe-out
3 degree camber
Silver sway bar
Spool
REAR
Pinksprings, 50wt, std piston
top middle/inside shock
bottom middle shock
3 degree toe block
2 degree camber
no sway bar
pro diff

I'm pretty green on TC racing, so any help would be great
i can't give an exact but i find that stiffening the car will be the way to go for foam which means moving the shocks on the bottom to the outside, raising the roll centres, shortening the camber links, stiffening the sway bars, and going heavier in shock oil. with foam you have to think in terms of grip. the foam tyre has plenty of grip so if your rear end is loose you may want to lengthen your rear link or something that will give the rear end grip!! Also stiffer top and middle decks will work better to!! but try these one by one and learn what the car does as you go!! it will make you faster in the long run!! hope all this helps.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by decibels
i usually find that if i have to much initial i change the front toe block from 2.5 to 1.5 or even 1!! it gives more mid steer i find and less initial which the cyclone sometimes has to much of.
I have 1.5 in it now, tried 1 and zero and went back to 1.5. But it seemed that the toe locks only changed though the corner steering and not initial turnin. Also went to 2 degree chubs and seemed to calm it down and legthened the front sway bar links and that helped alot, but it is still darty.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by decibels
i can't give an exact but i find that stiffening the car will be the way to go for foam which means moving the shocks on the bottom to the outside, raising the roll centres, shortening the camber links, stiffening the sway bars, and going heavier in shock oil. with foam you have to think in terms of grip. the foam tyre has plenty of grip so if your rear end is loose you may want to lengthen your rear link or something that will give the rear end grip!! Also stiffer top and middle decks will work better to!! but try these one by one and learn what the car does as you go!! it will make you faster in the long run!! hope all this helps.
Good stuff, thanks for that. I think i'll give her a ground-up rebuild tonight and make some notes about where it is now, then start mucking about with some of your suggestions. One at a time of course
Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Gwoodrc
I have 1.5 in it now, tried 1 and zero and went back to 1.5. But it seemed that the toe locks only changed though the corner steering and not initial turnin. Also went to 2 degree chubs and seemed to calm it down and legthened the front sway bar links and that helped alot, but it is still darty.
Like Korey mentioned, you could try to use 2mm spacers for the ackerman. Another thing you can try is raise up the front camber links with 3mm spacers to reduce the camber change when the front dive in to the corner, it will help reduce the initial turn in. Hope these help too.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by EJ20
Like Korey mentioned, you could try to use 2mm spacers for the ackerman. Another thing you can try is raise up the front camber links with 3mm spacers to reduce the camber change when the front dive in to the corner, it will help reduce the initial turn in. Hope these help too.
Did that (2mm ackerman spacers), don't have the car in front of me, but I think it is 3mm spacer on the front camber link also. I do know that it has no shims under the fr toeblock and .5 shim under the 1.5 ff toeblock.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:35 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JR007
Good stuff, thanks for that. I think i'll give her a ground-up rebuild tonight and make some notes about where it is now, then start mucking about with some of your suggestions. One at a time of course
If you are interested ... I have used with good results in category 17.5 foam asphalt fol setup:

Front
Spring Xray 30lb Light purple
Oil 50wt
Piston 2 Hole 1.2mm
Sway Bar 1.6mm
Camber link shim 2mm
1mm below the pivot suspension
0 ° pivot toe

Rear
Spring 17.5lb Xray white
Oil 30wt
Piston 2 Hole 1.2mm
No sway bar
0mm Camber link
3 ° pivot toe

Tire

Front and rear 37shore

Important!
Min.57mm tire diameter, maximum 60 mm
Old 01-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Tech Adept

Korey,

Do you know if the main topdeck for the cyclone tc is stiffer than the wce's cos i thought i heard someone say u would hav to cut the tc's to hav the same flex?

Is it mainly for outdoor racing that you cut the topdeck to get more grip or would it also help for indoor racing when the grip is high,

any ideas?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Default piston holes:

Hi all,

I ve been using the andy moore iic set-up on carpet but using HB Pink and silver springs ( the nearest to tamiya rates)

After talking to one of the top drivers with a cyclone in suggested to reduce the rear drop and use 35w rear shock oil to stop the car 'hooking' mid corner.

First: would this work

secondly when I took my shocks apart I have 2 hole pistons, but all the set-ups I look at use 3 hole. What and how much differenece would I get using 3 hole over 2?

thanks as all ways

mi
Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AGNO
If you are interested ... I have used with good results in category 17.5 foam asphalt fol setup:

Front
Spring Xray 30lb Light purple
Oil 50wt
Piston 2 Hole 1.2mm
Sway Bar 1.6mm
Camber link shim 2mm
0 ° pivot toe

Rear
Spring 17.5lb Xray white
Oil 30wt
Piston 2 Hole 1.2mm
No sway bar
0mm Camber link
3 ° pivot toe

Tire

Front and rear 37shore

Important!
Min.57mm tire diameter, maximum 60 mm
That's great thank, and actually not too far from where i'm set.
With the spacer below the pivot block, do you also have a spacer under the toe block?, or do you run with anti-squat and dive?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.