Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow
I don't think it sowers the transition but it generates a bit more pack (more damping). So it should feel like you have a lot of rebound. It makes the car very responsive and stable on the high speed corner, but when your is pushing at coming in to the corner (off throttle), i would not use this combo.

But once again, try #2 shock mounting hole on the a-arm first with pink springs. I'm almost sure you will have better turn in.

Thanks,
-Hiro
I agree. Usually whenever I use a shock position further in on the arm, combined with a siffer spring it becomes more reactive overall (especially at lower speeds). When the shock is further out on the arm with a softer spring, it's generally very smooth and creates a little more high speed grip. It tends to suffer in some of the lower speed corners though.

-Korey
Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you Hiro, Korey. I'll going to try that on next race - ( Top Gun Challenge at Norcal ). That's a really good info. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Weeelllll.... I've actually never tried this setup with tamiya springs. I think tamiya springs might be a little more progressive (not 100% sure on that) because I know HPI springs are super linear. I actually substituted HPI silver front, and HPI blue rear on this setup, and it was a pretty good starting point. Very smooth and easy to drive.

I might do some testing on tamiya springs vs hpi here soon. We'll see if I can get my hands on some. I've run tamiya yellows on a parking lot track a few times with success, but the only reason I ran those is they are softer than our HPI blue spring.

-Korey
What's funny is that a lot of Tamiya drivers are running HB springs.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by artwork
What's funny is that a lot of Tamiya drivers are running HB springs.
Yea, I think it's because the HPI springs are very very linear. This will make the car feel more aggressive and reactive overall, even for about the same spring rate. I personally prefer linear springs because they make the car feel very direct and precise to inputs. Progressive springs, like the Atsushi Hara springs tend to make the car feel very mellow and easy to drive.

-Korey
Old 07-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Tech Master

Progressive springs, like the Atsushi Hara springs tend to make the car feel very mellow and easy to drive.

-Korey
Why on earth would you NOT want that? Sounds great
Old 07-30-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JR007
Well... sometimes it's a little too much haha. It's pretty drastic. If your car is REALLY edgy and hard to drive, you can try these springs. I've noticed they heat up the tires a lot less too, so you if you having overheating issues they are also good to try. You can almost always accomplish these things with other tuning options though.

-Korey
Old 07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Tech Master

OK, so the RCTech search function sucks.

I'm after a starting set-up as I have only raced my (fairly) standard TA-05 to date, and this is in a different class (meant in both ways).

I have a Cyclone Surikarn coming in a few days and i'll be racing it in stock. Stock in NZ is silver cans with NiCd batteries, so not high speed stuff.

The track is a very large outdoor asphalt track (used for nitro as well as electric), and the weather down here ATM is fairly cold. Not sure if i'll use rubber or foams. I'll see what the others are using, but I have a variety of both.

Thanks for the help
Old 07-30-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
I understand what you mean. You have to try both. Sometimes i hate the Hara springs because they make the car feel superslugish, other times they are a setup saver :P

Usually for base setup i use the hara ones with muchmore and rp tires. For sorex and sweep the HPI give that litle edge
Old 07-30-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can anyone recommend a good quality Metal Gear servo for my TC?
I have a Sanwa MX-3FG radio.

Maybe a Futaba of some sort?

The Sanwa servo's that came with the radio were functionally ok, but the teeth strip too easily.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cosmo1974

The Sanwa servo's that came with the radio were functionally ok, but the teeth strip too easily.

Thanks
Futaba 9550, or 9551

All the way!
Old 07-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks
Futaba BLS 551
Old 07-31-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
Futaba 9550, or 9551

All the way!
"The Futaba S9551 digital low profile servo."

What does the "digital" attribute mean in practice (as opposed to those that are not digital)?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

Yea, I think it's because the HPI springs are very very linear. This will make the car feel more aggressive and reactive overall, even for about the same spring rate. I personally prefer linear springs because they make the car feel very direct and precise to inputs. Progressive springs, like the Atsushi Hara springs tend to make the car feel very mellow and easy to drive.

-Korey
Have you tried the XRay spring? and if you did what is your take on it.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:27 AM
Tech Champion

"The Futaba S9551 digital low profile servo."

What does the "digital" attribute mean in practice (as opposed to those that are not digital)?
Digital servos "check" their position many more times per second than an analog servo does. They have much greater centering, and holding power. In my opinion, digital servos are all you should run anymore.

I do run for Ko Propo, but the Futaba 9551 is a low profile servo with a good price point. The Ko Propo 3245, and the low profile 2413 are good servos from KO that aren't too much money. If you are looking for something cheaper, they have a line of mid sized servos that is right in between the size of a full standard servo and a low profile servo. The 2511 is a metal geared, digital "mid sized" that works great, and on a budget ($60).
Old 07-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mutabarucka
Have you tried the XRay spring? and if you did what is your take on it.
I did when I ran for xray, but not specifically on this car. The colored springs are pretty linear, but those black springs they use a lot more now I've never tried.

-Korey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.