R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2009, 07:57 PM   #16876
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-LowBlow View Post
Yes, the square piece will go in between the middle block (right side) and the main chassis. But, this is only used if your car has the brushless motor mount. If the car has original bulkheads, you won't need the square parts.

Hope it helps.
Thank you.
Very helpful thank you.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #16877
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi Korey,

Have yourself or your team tested the black 2 x 1.2 mm hole piston vs the 3 x 1.1 mm hole piston with identical damping? Did you guys find any differences between the 2?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #16878
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B18C Turbo View Post
I've noticed that the WCE spool makes the front end of my car shake/vibrate violently with maximum turn angles.

The shaking is so bad that it actually slows the car down in corners during entry and exit.

If i flip the car over and apply throttle and turn the wheel to the max throw in either direction the CVD's make an awful grinding sound.

Is this only the case with the spool? Should i switch to a one-way?

The logical answer would be to turn down dual-rate or
reduce EPA. If i do that I can't get the tight circles I need.
Well, that is the best spool I've run for the car. Sure, there will be some chattering but you can't get rid of that. When the car is on the ground, and the suspension is loaded, it will chatter much less. Perhaps try and get the car to have more natural steering through the suspension, instead of using brute force by having the steering endpoints so high. I usually set mine up to max out, then turn the dual rate to 90%. That's the most steering travel I will ever use.

-Korey
Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 AM   #16879
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Hi Korey,

Have yourself or your team tested the black 2 x 1.2 mm hole piston vs the 3 x 1.1 mm hole piston with identical damping? Did you guys find any differences between the 2?
I did a while back, but I can't seem to find my notes anywhere. From what I remember, the 2 hole pistons felt a little stiffer, but they seemed more consistent through the whole stroke of the shock. They didn't seem to pack up as much. The 3 hole pistons had a softer feeling, but they packed up quicker. So they would feel soft, then feel stiffer if compressed quickly. The 2 hole pistons just felt the same all the way around.

I know Hiro has been doing some testing with the 2 hole pistons again, and he seems to like them. I run them when the grip is very high, because it seems to make the car more consistent. The 3 hole pistons tend to make the car very reactive initially, but they can make the car feel odd when the grip is very very high unless used in combination with very thick oil.

This is just what I have found though. Id say it's worth a try for yourself as well. It really depends on how much static grip the track has. That can influence the results drastically.

-Korey
Old 07-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #16880
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
I did a while back, but I can't seem to find my notes anywhere. From what I remember, the 2 hole pistons felt a little stiffer, but they seemed more consistent through the whole stroke of the shock. They didn't seem to pack up as much. The 3 hole pistons had a softer feeling, but they packed up quicker. So they would feel soft, then feel stiffer if compressed quickly. The 2 hole pistons just felt the same all the way around.

I know Hiro has been doing some testing with the 2 hole pistons again, and he seems to like them. I run them when the grip is very high, because it seems to make the car more consistent. The 3 hole pistons tend to make the car very reactive initially, but they can make the car feel odd when the grip is very very high unless used in combination with very thick oil.

This is just what I have found though. Id say it's worth a try for yourself as well. It really depends on how much static grip the track has. That can influence the results drastically.

-Korey
I have tested both the 2 hole and the 3 hole pistons and I think the result is consistent with your findings. The effect is quite subtle so I wasn't 100% sure.

By the way, in your reedy setup, you used 100% rebound. What would the effect be on the track, between 100% vs say 2 mm rebound?
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #16881
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
I have tested both the 2 hole and the 3 hole pistons and I think the result is consistent with your findings. The effect is quite subtle so I wasn't 100% sure.

By the way, in your reedy setup, you used 100% rebound. What would the effect be on the track, between 100% vs say 2 mm rebound?
Some people use rebound as a tuning option. For bumpier tracks more rebound works better and on smoother tracks less rebound. Although, my personal feeling is that there are so much static weight on these cars that rebound has very little affect. I have run 100% down to 0% and the difference in my hands in pretty minor. The key is that they are all the same. I have standardized on 75% rebound and I like the way it feels.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #16882
Tech Regular

Anyone using SMC 5200 40C lipo packs with your Cyclone TC? Can you show some photos of the weight and fitting solution for this lipo pack?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #16883
Tech Champion

Quote:

I feel 100% makes the car more reactive. No rebound tends to make the car smoother, and feels like it makes more overall grip. It is pretty small in my opinion though.

-Korey
Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #16884
Tech Adept

Hello, this weekend i tested the Hara reedy race setup, as recommended, with very good results, i only change the spacer in front upper link to 3mm, and front shock to 2 hole, rear go up the shock to 4 hole.
Without training, in a new track, i only are 0.2 s, for TQ, and i race with truck bodie, i only have a litle time to drive with normal bodie (mazdaspeed), the car are very consistent.

The only thing i donīt make from setup is to put the rear whisbones reverse, to put the shocks in the hole 2, i have it in the normal 3 hole. What is the difference?.
And in the Hara setup, the front spacers in wishbones, are 1.0mm rear, 2 mm front, i only can put 2 - 0.7,like I've seen in other setups, such as that of Korey.

Thanks for all the help, Luis C.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #16885
Tech Adept

Quote:
Anyone using SMC 5200 40C lipo packs with your Cyclone TC? Can you show some photos of the weight and fitting solution for this lipo pack?
i run these packs in my cyclone without any problem. i had to remove part of the underside of the right hand side bracket as others did and also a bit on the back of the bracket to make the cells sit in the middle of the battery slots.

to keep the offset from the motor gear i used one of the plastic servo mounts with a cap screw with the plastic washer. there is a screw opening in the middle of the chassis available for that.

balance weight wise:
for the tcspec with orion combination i put 40grams on the side of the pack. that got it close enough for me.
now i am going to run 10.5 with a gm120. here the esc will sit closer to the middle of the chassis so i got it down to 30gram on the pack and the car is in perfect balance.

if you want i can take some shots later
tomracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #16886
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey Harbke View Post
Well, that is the best spool I've run for the car. Sure, there will be some chattering but you can't get rid of that. When the car is on the ground, and the suspension is loaded, it will chatter much less. Perhaps try and get the car to have more natural steering through the suspension, instead of using brute force by having the steering endpoints so high. I usually set mine up to max out, then turn the dual rate to 90%. That's the most steering travel I will ever use.

-Korey
The problem isn't getting natural steering from the suspension, I have achieved that. The problem is I enjoy the tight circles I can make with the Dual rate at 90% like you have it.

I noticed even if i turn down dual rate to about 60% its still chattery, only when turned of course.

Its actually so bad during high speed cornering with max throw i can feel the car slow down even if i dont let off the throttle because the chatter is so bad.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #16887
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

So I looked around all my hobby shops distributers and none of them had any info on the Subaru body! I really want one, kinda sucks its taking awhile for even the part numbers to get to distributers.