Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by illz302
hey guys I just put a Novak Havoc 8.5 brushless system in my Cyclone S RTR and my differentials are slipping is there any company that makes a nice upgraded diff for the car? Or is a gear diff better? If so who makes a gear diff? Sorry for the questions but I am somewhat new to this RC hobby and I have no idea where to look.
tighten the diffs until they stop slipping.. gear diff would be nice for sport / racing when you want repeatable settings.. but not a requirement. if you let them slip to long you will need to rebuild your diffs and start again..
Old 04-29-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well

Today first test, not track test, just parking lot test near home ... and the car seems very good (remember, a fully upgraded Cyclone S i bought NIB).

The thing is that i geared for 4.8 FDR and the car went reeeeaaaally good (13.5 brushless class, novak SS system with GTB).

Today at a friends store, he installed for me a new rotor, the upgraded one from novak, and we tested the car on the street simulating track behaviour and timing, ans changed the gearing to 4.39 FDR and the car seems to have a lot of power, lots of initial torque and the temp went down a little ...

Any tip/opinion on 13.5 novak racing with the upgraded rotor ?

On the other side, my friends at the store never saw a cyclone before, but comparing to 85% TC5's they see at the track, they told me my car was brick heavy ... its this true about the Cyclone S ?, do i have to go and buy carbon fibre chassis and towers ?, other than that i have it all purple hotbodies parts upgraded ...

thanks,

thanks,

Pat

Last edited by Tabushi; 04-29-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Yes the cyclone S is a lot heavier than the regular cyclone.

However, if you are allowed/using LiPos i suspect this will not be an issue....
Old 04-29-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by illz302
hey guys I just put a Novak Havoc 8.5 brushless system in my Cyclone S RTR and my differentials are slipping is there any company that makes a nice upgraded diff for the car? Or is a gear diff better? If so who makes a gear diff? Sorry for the questions but I am somewhat new to this RC hobby and I have no idea where to look.
I am not going to pass judgment, but if you are new to the hobby you should not be running an 8.5 brushless motor. That is a lot of motor even for a seasoned racer. The Cyclone S RTR is not really designed for the labors of modified motors. The Cyclone S RTR is not designed for the high end racing segment. I would offer a couple of suggestions.

1) try a 17.5 or 13.5 motor in your car and really spend some time learning about the car, setup and basics on on-road racing.

2) Move up to the Cyclone TC and take full advantage of a world championship caliber car.

Honestly, I would suggest option 1 and really hone your skills for the future. The more time you put in now learning the basics the better off you will be in the long run. I can bet a large sum of money that you will be faster around the track with a 17.5 motor then with that 8.5.

I guess I did not really answer you question...

There are lots of option parts for this car...you could add a spool to the front and an upgraded diff in the rear.

Check here for some upgrade and option parts.
http://www.hotbodiesonline.com/parts...pe=OPT&lang=en
Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tabushi
Well

Today first test, not track test, just parking lot test near home ... and the car seems very good (remember, a fully upgraded Cyclone S i bought NIB).

The thing is that i geared for 4.8 FDR and the car went reeeeaaaally good (13.5 brushless class, novak SS system with GTB).

Today at a friends store, he installed for me a new rotor, the upgraded one from novak, and we tested the car on the street simulating track behaviour and timing, ans changed the gearing to 4.39 FDR and the car seems to have a lot of power, lots of initial torque and the temp went down a little ...

Any tip/opinion on 13.5 novak racing with the upgraded rotor ?

On the other side, my friends at the store never saw a cyclone before, but comparing to 85% TC5's they see at the track, they told me my car was brick heavy ... its this true about the Cyclone S ?, do i have to go and buy carbon fibre chassis and towers ?, other than that i have it all purple hotbodies parts upgraded ...

thanks,

thanks,

Pat
What do you mean by upgraded rotor? The motors come with 12.3mm rotors which are basically a rpm rotor. The optional 13mm rotor offers more bottom end torque and less rpm. Due to the increased torque the motor can be geared higher to get the rpm back some. The bigger rotor also runs allot cooler than the smaller one. Also....if you start to race your motor will be illegal with the 13mm rotor.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Ummmm
Hey there, just got myself a cyclone S as the TC's aren't available where I shop I've never ran on road before so I need help.

FYI I plan to run Lipo's on asphalt

1. Gearing for a 17.5 or 13.5 Pinion and Spur pls not just Final drive (Starting point anyway)
2. Basic idea of suspension starting point - springs, oil, piston
3. Sway bars
4. any tips pointers to consider before going racing.

thanks in advance
Can anyone help me out?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (73%+)

Thanks for the help guys. I am not totally new to RC just to the TC end of things especially racing but after driving the car the 8.5 is exactly what I was looking for power wise.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ummmm
Hey there, just got myself a cyclone S as the TC's aren't available where I shop I've never ran on road before so I need help.

FYI I plan to run Lipo's on asphalt

1. Gearing for a 17.5 or 10.5 Pinion and Spur pls not just Final drive (Starting point anyway)
2. Basic idea of suspension starting point - springs, oil, piston
3. Sway bars
4. any tips pointers to consider before going racing.

thanks in advance
1) Gearing will depend on track size. for 13.5 try 5.0 FDR. for my TC that would be 100 spur 43 pinion with a 2.167 internal ratio.

2) Gold up front and silver springs in the rear. 45wt oil. pistons#2. 1.5mm under the toe blocks all the way around. 3deg in the rear 1.5 up front (toe blocks)

3) Silver front sway bar copper in the rear.

4) all of this is a guess since I do not know what kind of surface and track size. You can download a setup and try to make changes from their based on track conditions.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STLNLST
What do you mean by upgraded rotor? The motors come with 12.3mm rotors which are basically a rpm rotor. The optional 13mm rotor offers more bottom end torque and less rpm. Due to the increased torque the motor can be geared higher to get the rpm back some. The bigger rotor also runs allot cooler than the smaller one. Also....if you start to race your motor will be illegal with the 13mm rotor.

Down here in my country the 13mm rotor its legal ...

My main concern its the weight of the cyclone S, even fully upgraded today i tested for 15 minutes at the track and it performs awesome, and some drivers saw it and told me the car was very very good, but on racing situation, how bad will be the extra weight ? ...

Now, it worth to get the fiber chassis and towers ?

thanks guys,
Old 04-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have the S as well. Where do the kit spring fall n term of stiffnes compared to the different black ones?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DG Designs
I have the S as well. Where do the kit spring fall n term of stiffnes compared to the different black ones?
blue spring- 15.3lb/in
kit silver spring- 16.9
pink spring - 18.0
kit gold spring - 19.0
white spring - 20.3
Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

thanks!
Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs down

I am so frustrated, my new Cyclone come with some defects: the 10mm washers and a small ring for diff come with little bit corrosive and before i open the bag, the other side of motor mount is scratched by other due the 2 parts is in same bag.
I am so disappointed with the quality of the HB, worse than Tamiya.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I know I'm a little biased, but I've never had that problem in any HPI/HB kit I've ever built. I've built A LOT of HPI kits in my time in racing/hobby. But honestly, those sound like some very minor complaints. I've built other kits that were much worse from other companies that I'll leave unnamed.

-Korey
Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs down

The only thing i could, is cover the top side of mount with decals, that i did already, or maybe i will change the flat 1 of RC Square if i could find in HK in Monday.
About the washer is not big deal, in case i have the spare 1 from aluminium diff cup, but i think is due the copper washer which made the corrosion of the silver 1, i guess.
About the other i want to tell is, also the spool/one way is not well made, the CNC machinering of HB didn't made well in round side of this part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.