Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
this race was lose so don't release !
no selling point !
What? you need to win a race in order to release a new body?!??
Old 01-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
Lonestar has the right idea. The closer the upper arm (camber link in our case) gets to being equal length with the lower arm, the less camber regression (going more negative) there will be. When the upper and lower arms are of equal length it gives pretty much zero camber change. When you go shorter, it increases camber change (it goes more negative) as the suspension is compressed.

How does this effect the car? Longer will typically create more overall traction in the middle and exit of the corner, but it makes the car react slower intially. When you make the links shorter it increases initial grip and has less traction in the middle and exit of a corner. Higher traction tracks with a twisty layout will favor shorter camber links and lower traction tracks with a longer sweeping layout will favor longer links.

It does depend a little on where you are making the change though. What I just outlined is specifically when you change the camber link length from the bulkhead. The outer mounting position will have some different overall results when changed. On the HB Cyclone we have two different camber link mounting positions on the rear hub carrier. The inner one will make the rear end react really quick initially and have more overall grip through the turn. The outer mounting position makes the rear end of the car react a little slower, but it also reduces grip in the middle and exit of the corner. I use the inner position in most conditions, but with my foam tire carpet racing I've been testing a lot of, I have been liking the outer position a lot.

The angle of camber links also messes with camber change as well. Flatter links will give less overall camber change. They produce a little bit more initial grip, but for the most part they produce less overall grip through the middle and exit of a corner. More angled links will produce slightly less initial grip, but more grip in the middle and exit of a corner.

Hope that helps!!!

-Korey

Yes Korey it does help!

Now next question is the swaybar action or lack there of. I generally set my car up using the 1.2mm in the rear, the thin copper one. Now lifting one arm up almost has no effect on the other. Isn't this swaybar the pointless or am I missing something?

-Tino
Old 01-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trickd122
Yes Korey it does help!

Now next question is the swaybar action or lack there of. I generally set my car up using the 1.2mm in the rear, the thin copper one. Now lifting one arm up almost has no effect on the other. Isn't this swaybar the pointless or am I missing something?

-Tino
Are you testing it with shocks and tires off?
Old 01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
Are you testing it with shocks and tires off?
off and on, same issue
Old 01-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default droop setting on carpet for cyclone

what a good setting to start on carpet for droop setting, for just starting on a fresh track to a well groove carpet track such as snow birds etc thxs let hear info
Old 01-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC=Realy_Costly
hi!

just recently bought the bottom of the range cyclone (u no the full plastic pre built kit) just as a thrasher for when im not at the track and for some reason cant get any gear mesh wat so ever

the motor is a 540 the spur is that which came with the car and i first tried a 33 tooth pinion.... no mesh now just bought a bigger pinion....NO MESH and no matter how i position twist and turn the motor im still mm's away

ive also dremeled the housing to move the motor a lil closer and still NO MESH!!!!!!

can anyone please help
dremeled the housing ... thats extreme!

i'm guessing the Cyclone S came with the standard 64p 100T spur, according to the Cyclone manual i have, you should be able to get it meshed properly if you use 34T to 40T pinions. i think to get smaller pinions installed get the BL motor mount, it also allows you to use larger 110T spurs.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

anyone have a good low bite carpet setup and i mean low grip

we have a spec tire of jaco greens also
Old 01-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

We're on greens too and this is my starting setup upcoming race, i had trouble finding enough steering at the practice today but this works ok.
Attached Thumbnails Hot Bodies Cyclone-low-grip.jpg  
Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Cyclone TC

Whats a good Pinion/Spur gear setup for a 13.5 in the Cyclone TC on a carpet track.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M-Tune
Whats a good Pinion/Spur gear setup for a 13.5 in the Cyclone TC on a carpet track.

I am at 100/46 and the car is very fast on a medium sized high bite carpet track running rubber tire. Motor is a Trinity DUO based motor.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trickd122
off and on, same issue
Well, this subject has got me thinking a lot too. I have been playing around with different sway bars on my setup and quite simply the sway bars on the bench seem to have less affect on the bench then on the track. I too have noticed that on the bench it seems like an issue that lifting one side does not have a great affect on the other side however on the track it seems to make a large difference. I have recently went back to the older style sway bars holders and it seems to help the bench testing, but does not seems to make any difference on the track from the new style holders. Play around with it and you will find that the car is pretty sensitive to sway bars, even the thin one will make a difference in how the car handles.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
Well, this subject has got me thinking a lot too. I have been playing around with different sway bars on my setup and quite simply the sway bars on the bench seem to have less affect on the bench then on the track. I too have noticed that on the bench it seems like an issue that lifting one side does not have a great affect on the other side however on the track it seems to make a large difference. I have recently went back to the older style sway bars holders and it seems to help the bench testing, but does not seems to make any difference on the track from the new style holders. Play around with it and you will find that the car is pretty sensitive to sway bars, even the thin one will make a difference in how the car handles.

haaaaa swaybars

Indeed on the bench the only swaybars I've ever found "working" (you lift one wheel, it lifts the other without having to lift the first one half an inch) is on 8th scale on road cars, the "knife" type swaybars.

Every piano wire swaybar I've ever tried on a DTM (last years: Schum Axis, TC3, Yokomo SD, FK05, and now Cyclone - I usually run the same chassis about 18 to 24 months) feels like it has no effect... on the bench... and at least on compression you would not expect to see on a track (half an inch, say). But on the track, ie when the car is actually running, it makes a MASSIVE difference.

Conclusion is, it doesn't take much stimulus to make a swaybar "work"... which is quite disturbing compared to what can be "felt" on the bench. Or... it means that the forces on our cars' wheels are just stupid strong if they make them work with such dramatic effect on the handling... which is counterintuitive given the "low" weight there should only be to displace on the bench (and still, it doesn't move).

The only advice I can give here is, make sure your suspension is 100% bind-free and that the swaybar action is perfectly symmetric (use the stop-collars as a tweak tool), because otherwise you can get funny reactions from the car. If you use swaybars, make sure the mounting is 100% perfect.

I try not to use them where I can... I still haven't mastered the art of set-up with swaybars, which to me still is an anti-mechanical device and a bit of a black magic illogical thing

Paul
Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Addict

Hi ,

I tried your setup STLNLST , on sunday and indeed it was way better then mine , i just went to a thicker rear roll bar and the car was perfect , i went from a 19 lapper with my setup to a 21 lapper with your setup so thanks alot it did help .

Then comes the probleme unfertunatley , whent i want to de tweak my car because it doesnt drive straight , i put my car on the tweak station and :
this sunday , the weight limit was 1500 gramms in mod , i added 35 g in front of the 5 cell pack and 20 g and the back . When i was at 1500 g , it was easy to de tweak the car , but when im going to race in 2 weeks time i was preparing the car and the weight limit will be 1425 g so i took of the weights and now the car is so hard to de tweak, im using a spirit level tweak station and if i want to get the buble in the midle or about in the midle , the ride height on the right hand side ( battery side ) is 7 mm and on the left is 5.5 as i wanted , do you guys know what i cpuld do to help it ?
Thanks for any help
Old 01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone speed
Hi ,

I tried your setup STLNLST , on sunday and indeed it was way better then mine , i just went to a thicker rear roll bar and the car was perfect , i went from a 19 lapper with my setup to a 21 lapper with your setup so thanks alot it did help .

Then comes the probleme unfertunatley , whent i want to de tweak my car because it doesnt drive straight , i put my car on the tweak station and :
this sunday , the weight limit was 1500 gramms in mod , i added 35 g in front of the 5 cell pack and 20 g and the back . When i was at 1500 g , it was easy to de tweak the car , but when im going to race in 2 weeks time i was preparing the car and the weight limit will be 1425 g so i took of the weights and now the car is so hard to de tweak, im using a spirit level tweak station and if i want to get the buble in the midle or about in the midle , the ride height on the right hand side ( battery side ) is 7 mm and on the left is 5.5 as i wanted , do you guys know what i cpuld do to help it ?
Thanks for any help
When 5 cell racing was being experimented with here in the US, I had the same problem with a different car I ran. For the car to balance out with 5 cells, it still had to be about the same weight as a 6 cell car. I started adding titanium screws around the car, using a low profile servo such as the Futaba S9551, and even some aluminum screws in really low stress areas. That allowed me to put the weight I needed on the car and still remain relatively light.

-Korey
Old 01-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Korey Harbke
When 5 cell racing was being experimented with here in the US, I had the same problem with a different car I ran. For the car to balance out with 5 cells, it still had to be about the same weight as a 6 cell car. I started adding titanium screws around the car, using a low profile servo such as the Futaba S9551, and even some aluminum screws in really low stress areas. That allowed me to put the weight I needed on the car and still remain relatively light.

-Korey
So i dont really get i , i have full high quality titanium , but the low profiles servos are the same weight as a normal servo , would you recomend me adding a litle bit of weight ?

Also , can someone tell me the effect of the roll center under the pivot blocks ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.