R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2005, 03:52 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by 429racer
Has anyone experienced not being able to step charge a battery pack that has been trayed for awhile? After letting my batteries sit on a tray for a few hours the charger would not let me step charge my battery pack, but I could only use linear charge. I tried linear charging for about 1000 mah's and then tried step charging them and that still did not work. After linear charging the pack, I then ran the pack and after running the pack I trayed trayed the pack for about an hour I was able to step charge the pack then. Any help or suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
when you attempt to step charge a pack that has been trayed you may notice that the charger tries to charge at low amp before starting the actual charge. if after 2 or 3 minutes it can not get started it will beep, just start the step charge again and it will start the charge. also you do not need to wait the 2 - 3 minuts after 20 seconds or so seconds stop the charge then start step charge again - this has worked everytime for me
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:35 PM   #107
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketron
when you attempt to step charge a pack that has been trayed you may notice that the charger tries to charge at low amp before starting the actual charge. if after 2 or 3 minutes it can not get started it will beep, just start the step charge again and it will start the charge. also you do not need to wait the 2 - 3 minuts after 20 seconds or so seconds stop the charge then start step charge again - this has worked everytime for me
The pack doesn't even try to step charge at a lower amp the first time I try to charge it after it has been on the tray for awhile (not ran for a few days), but it does (slow charge to bring the voltage up)the second time I charge it after I have already ran the pack and trayed it only for about an hour. This happens with all my packs not just one. I just wonder if the cells aren't too low when I try to give the pack their first charge of the day?
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:48 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Quote:
The pack doesn't even try to step charge at a lower amp the first time I try to charge it after it has been on the tray for awhile (not ran for a few days), but it does (slow charge to bring the voltage up)the second time I charge it after I have already ran the pack and trayed it only for about an hour. This happens with all my packs not just one. I just wonder if the cells aren't too low when I try to give the pack their first charge of the day?
when the charger is "slow charging" stop the charge and then restart the step charge. i tray my packs and have to do this each charge. after 20 or so seconds if the charger has not started then stop and re-start it and for me this works everytime.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #109
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Its still an extra step and something to do, what voltage are you taking your packs down to? I tray mine to 0.9 a cell usually.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:17 PM   #110
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
when the charger is "slow charging" stop the charge and then restart the step charge. i tray my packs and have to do this each charge. after 20 or so seconds if the charger has not started then stop and re-start it and for me this works everytime.
Everything you are telling me the charger does exactly what you are saying when I charge my packs for the second time of the day, but just not the first time I charge the packs. The night before a race I tray my packs for about 4 hours and then remove them (packs will sit untrayed until race day). The day of the race I tray my packs for an hour then remove them from the tray and try to step charge my packs for the first time of the day. It will not let me step charge after trying for a couple of minutes (won't even try to slow charge) so then I use the linear charge mode and it will charge the batteries fine, but it will not let me step charge for that first charge of the day, but it will step charge the second time of the day. I was just wondering if there is an easier way to get it to charge the packs the first time I charge after sitting for awhile.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Quote:
Everything you are telling me the charger does exactly what you are saying when I charge my packs for the second time of the day, but just not the first time I charge the packs. The night before a race I tray my packs for about 4 hours and then remove them (packs will sit untrayed until race day). The day of the race I tray my packs for an hour then remove them from the tray and try to step charge my packs for the first time of the day. It will not let me step charge after trying for a couple of minutes (won't even try to slow charge) so then I use the linear charge mode and it will charge the batteries fine, but it will not let me step charge for that first charge of the day, but it will step charge the second time of the day. I was just wondering if there is an easier way to get it to charge the packs the first time I charge after sitting for awhile.
after you answer the discharge YES or NO what is on the screen - are you saying nothing displays? i don't think thats what your mentioning.

are there any values on the screen at all - doesn't seem right
Old 03-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #112
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
after you answer the discharge YES or NO what is on the screen - are you saying nothing displays? i don't think thats what your mentioning.

are there any values on the screen at all - doesn't seem right
When the charger asks if I want to discharge I have no in there then I hit enter and it displays Checking Battery then it sarts displaying the pack volts, charge rate, seconds timer, and mah's screen for a split second then it switches to a "check" something screen (can't remember what the display was too many things going on and getting frustrated. I don't have the manual or the charger here with me so I can't say which one it was, but I would know if I read it) and it wouldn't go back to charging until I hit the setup button and selected linear charge. I appreciate your help. Is there a place I could download the manual for the Advantage charger? If I could read the trouble shooting page in the back I would remember what it displayed.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:05 PM   #113
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Send a message via AIM to letitroll

I called orion today reguarding my motor run-in problem. They said that after 10 amps the charger should shut off. They will be changing the software for the next update so you can run at a higher amperage.
letitroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:15 AM   #114
Tech Initiate

429racer :

If you put your battery on the tray for a long time, the voltage will be very low.

The charger does not charge right away at high amps if the battery voltage is below 5V. The charger's display will show 0.1 A and 5V.

As the battery voltage is too low, you will have to wait 3 minutes, then it says battery check. Then just start the charge procedure as usual.

This happens only with battery that have been dead-short or on a tray for a long time.
JMBetticher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #115
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by JMBetticher
429racer :

If you put your battery on the tray for a long time, the voltage will be very low.

The charger does not charge right away at high amps if the battery voltage is below 5V. The charger's display will show 0.1 A and 5V.

As the battery voltage is too low, you will have to wait 3 minutes, then it says battery check. Then just start the charge procedure as usual.

This happens only with battery that have been dead-short or on a tray for a long time.
Now what is strange is that after using linear charge to put in about 1000 mah's to bring up the voltage, I would switch it to step charging and it would not step charge so I would have to go back to linear charge.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:15 PM   #116
Tech Regular

any one can answer any of these?

Quote:
Originally posted by yellow15
I just received my Team Orion Advantage Charger and after using it for a while here are a few questions:

1. Is the "step charge" mode setting a global setting? i.e. not specific/related to each "battery data" presets? I got a few different batteries with different capacity, it's a pain that i have to reprogramme it everytime.

2. Is the "tickle charge" and "repeak time" setting global? can i make it different for each battery data preset? i have NiCD and also NiMH batteries.. it would be a pain if i have to go back to the manual and disable (enable) tickle charge everytime i charge a different battery.

3. What does the "battery type" value really use for? i mean if we choose Ni-mh. what is the real difference compare to i set it to "NiCD". Now, please don't tell me it's for each battery type, i want to know HOW does the charger actually use this info to handle the charge/discharge differently, as we can set the peak detection and tickle charge value separately

4. Is it possible to find out what cause the charging to stop? i.e. peak detection, temperature above preset value or capacity reach preset value.

5. is the symbol that looks like "_|_" during the step charge mode means "mega flex"?

Hope someone can answer me this questions
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 07:58 AM   #117
Tech Apprentice

Hello people,

I have just get my advantage, and I'm setting the battery data, I have gp3300, adn I would like to know if you set 3300 in the capacity of more, normally in my old charger I set 3900.

Thank you
Roedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:03 AM   #118
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Roedor
Hello people,

I have just get my advantage, and I'm setting the battery data, I have gp3300, adn I would like to know if you set 3300 in the capacity of more, normally in my old charger I set 3900.

Thank you
the charger in step mode seems to use this information from the battery data (the mah's) to determine charge cut off. if your going to use step charge in the battery data you should enter 3900 or slightly higher - i currently have 4200 entered. not sure what else the battery data helps or does when step charging.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:57 AM   #119
Tech Adept

Check this Charger Set-Up from the danish champion Eirik Andreassen for GP3300SP2:

http://www.rcworld.ch/neueprojekte.asp?id=1916
chaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:54 AM   #120
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

rocketron

are ya' out there????

YGPM!!!!