R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #241
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus
dom.

thanks...let me know how the motor breakin feature works for you.
Broke in a motor last night, works good, no smoke..... so I'm happy.

Dom
Old 04-21-2005, 09:17 PM   #242
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I also ran in a 11T motor for 2 mins. and I was the one smoking.
Kenneth Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:23 AM   #243
Tech Adept

Default Hara and Rheinard use the Advantage

Nice to see that Hara and Reinhard are using the Advantage at the LRP masters and have the fastest car, I heard that they use the step charging system and got incredible power without any dumping at all. If you have the setings please post them here.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:01 AM   #244
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The secret is not their settings, but the awesome packs they get!

Has anyone used the advantage charger AND the I.C.E. charger. How do they compare? (details please)
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:30 AM   #245
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone, new poster here!

Just getting into electrics after doing allsorts of other RC stuff, so decided I needed a charger and picked up one of these the other day, needless to say, my old charger was just a plug in and charge, merely selecting the charge rate, of upto 5 amps.

First impressions are that its a little plasticy (sp), but as has been said before its whats inside that counts.

Discharge went fine, no problems at all, decided to do a step charge on my practice pack, to get used to the charger a little, before I hit the track (or the barriers .... don't they just jump right out in front of us new guys!)

Set the battery data as follows :NiMh 3300 mAh 6cl

Step settings were Eirik's

Step 1 : 2500mAh 7.0A - Mega Flex off
Step 2 : 2550mAh 0.5A - Mega Flex off
Step 3 : 3950mAh 4,5A

Temperature : 47°
Delta Peak : 3mV

My cells are GP3300's matched (Vega)

The charge went fine, through all the steps no problem, but when the charge completed message was displayed, the parameter was mAh, which was only at 3300 ......... I thought it would have at least charged to 3600, the temp was also 34 degrees?

Its almost as though the system has taken the data from the battery info, rather than the step 3 info, and ended the charge?

Is this correct, or should I try again, but set the battery data to a higher level, ie enter the battery data as though the cells ARE 3950 to hood wink the charger into putting more charge in?

Or is it correct in the first place and me that wrong!

If anyone that can advise me I'd appreciate it very much indeed .

Cheers

Mr T.
Mr Tickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:01 AM   #246
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Tickle
Hi everyone, new poster here!

Just getting into electrics after doing allsorts of other RC stuff, so decided I needed a charger and picked up one of these the other day, needless to say, my old charger was just a plug in and charge, merely selecting the charge rate, of upto 5 amps.

First impressions are that its a little plasticy (sp), but as has been said before its whats inside that counts.

Discharge went fine, no problems at all, decided to do a step charge on my practice pack, to get used to the charger a little, before I hit the track (or the barriers .... don't they just jump right out in front of us new guys!)

Set the battery data as follows :NiMh 3300 mAh 6cl

Step settings were Eirik's

Step 1 : 2500mAh 7.0A - Mega Flex off
Step 2 : 2550mAh 0.5A - Mega Flex off
Step 3 : 3950mAh 4,5A

Temperature : 47°
Delta Peak : 3mV

My cells are GP3300's matched (Vega)

The charge went fine, through all the steps no problem, but when the charge completed message was displayed, the parameter was mAh, which was only at 3300 ......... I thought it would have at least charged to 3600, the temp was also 34 degrees?

Its almost as though the system has taken the data from the battery info, rather than the step 3 info, and ended the charge?

Is this correct, or should I try again, but set the battery data to a higher level, ie enter the battery data as though the cells ARE 3950 to hood wink the charger into putting more charge in?

Or is it correct in the first place and me that wrong!

If anyone that can advise me I'd appreciate it very much indeed .

Cheers

Mr T.
the value of 3300 mah from the BATTERY DATA is being used as the mah cut-off but true. i would suggest setting that value to 4200 which will pretty much have the charge stop on TEMP or PEAK but not MAH.

Great charger though
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 06:51 AM   #247
Tech Rookie

As I suspected, its works fine and cuts off using voltage drop with that altered

Also another quick piece of advice please guys, I have to charge my cells in the afternoon, then race in the evening (not enough time between heats to do them on the night)

What shall I use to repeak them ...... running stock 27T..

Normal charge at 7 Amps?

Discharge a little first then repeak them?

Megaflex??

Cheers

Mr T.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:28 AM   #248
Tech Addict

Mr T.

I just use Normal charge at 5.0A and 3mV Delta peak to repeak my batteries.....

Whatever you do, don't discharge them before you repeak!!
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:08 AM   #249
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

what exactly is megaflex?

i have been using step charge to charge and normal to repeak but never actually tried megaflex...what is it?
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:01 AM   #250
Tech Rookie

Eirik thanks for the reply, OK then I won't discharge first! Promise

Really looking forward to getting down the track and seeing the results, and experimenting with different settings

Raving Monkey, my understanding is that megaflex has a negative pull or pulse in the charge current, I think basically its kinder to your cells than the 'normal' (linear) charge, ideal for those cells where its more inportant they last a long time, but the trade off is performance will be down from the linear or step charge(with MF off).

But then I'm no expert ..... far from it

I spoke to a guy a mirage yeaterday, with regards to the cutting off using the battery date mAh, he said its kind of a safty feature and the guys there that are using the GP3300's are setting the battery data to 3950, as disscussed here yesterday .......

Thanks all
Old 04-30-2005, 05:06 AM   #251
Tech Adept

Default Megaflex

Performance cycling and analysis of nickel metal Hydride cells have revealed that reverse pulse (Mega Flex by Team Orion) charging improves performances over other charging techniques.
Megaflex periodically applies a short duration, high-rate discharge pulse (Adjustable in length on the Advantage charger) followed by a short rest during otherwise galvanostatic charge. Results show improved charge input and output, lower heat generation during charge, lower charge overvoltage and no loss of cycle life.

Team Orion Megaflex is consuming gas bubbles generated during charge at the positive and negative electrodes. Removing bubbles increases the effective electrode surface aera, results in a lower charge overvoltage and reduce cell pressure.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:51 AM   #252
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

so in english...it discharges them a bit then charges them?
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:01 AM   #253
Tech Adept

During the charge, you have short discharge pulse and this all the time until the pack is full.

On the Advantage you can adjust the length of the discharge pulse from 5 milli second to 20 milli second.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:32 AM   #254
Tech Adept

o.k. please read the pro-trak advise on re-peaking from their website,first discharge,then re-peak.

reflex charging was originally designed by victor engineering with their revolutionary lin-r-flex charging method, and yes the performance of nicd cells increased. all battery matchers and manufacturers recommend linear charge,because nimh NEED heat.
you can easily test that,feel free!

same for step charging,there is no real benefit from that,itīs only marketing.donīt let them fool you.
wothrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:54 AM   #255
Tech Adept

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cimg4139.jpg (128.1 KB, 514 views)
Kingcrab is offline   Reply With Quote