R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-24-2005, 12:35 AM   #151
Tech Initiate

You can adjust the temp in the charge section where you adjust mV and charge amps etc etc... (linear and megaflex)

Step charge has his own setting.

If you use linear, megaflex or step charge, the charge will stop when one of the three detection (temp, mAh, mV) has been reach first.
JMBetticher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 AM   #152
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by JMBetticher
You can adjust the temp in the charge section where you adjust mV and charge amps etc etc... (linear and megaflex)

Step charge has his own setting.

If you use linear, megaflex or step charge, the charge will stop when one of the three detection (temp, mAh, mV) has been reach first.
Where is the adjustment for the peak temp for linear and megaflex modes, I can't find it in the menue.

With the repeak delay is that only available when step charging? In the step charge I see where I can change it from Roff to R1, R2 etc up to R5 does it set the min until repeak? How exactly does the repeak work?

Thanks,
Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:02 AM   #153
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by mtveten
Where is the adjustment for the peak temp for linear and megaflex modes, I can't find it in the menue.
Thanks,
Mark
i believe you'll find this under "battery data" there are 5 profiles there
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:48 AM   #154
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Does the temp setting only show in certain battery profiles? I have gone through the menu and its not there, are there multiple software version floating around?

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:45 PM   #155
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

FYI:
I spoke with a support guy at Orion today to get clarification on some issues before I buy.
#1: Does the three cutoff protections(mAh,Temp,Delta V) work with all three charge modes? Yes per Orion
#2: Does the charger have a built in charge timer? Yes per Orion
#3: How does the save mode work for different charge profiles? Per Orion: The charger can save 5 different charge profiles in any of the three different charge modes. It can save multiple charge profiles of the same mode (ie. Step,Linear,Pulse/Flex) but only a combined total of 5 profiles. Not 5 in each charge modes.

MPM 2:
#1: What is the max amp draw for the MPM 2? Per Orion: The max CONTINUOUS amp draw is 13 amps. This can be exceeded during spool up. Support didn't give an exact max for amp draw. If the motor gives a 20 or 30 amp draw on spool up the MPM 2 will handle it, the power supply may cause a problem if it can't handle the draw.

Hopes this helps some of you that may be thinking about this charger. It helped me, I'm about to buy 2 chargers and a MPM 2.
sdmlsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #156
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well i wont be using my replacement to run in any motors after mine went pop running the first motor in i ever threw at it. Ill stick to my pulsar thank you, the step charging looks good and i like the temp sensor.
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:37 PM   #157
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sdmlsu1
FYI:
I spoke with a support guy at Orion today to get clarification on some issues before I buy.
#1: Does the three cutoff protections(mAh,Temp,Delta V) work with all three charge modes? Yes per Orion
#3: How does the save mode work for different charge profiles? Per Orion: The charger can save 5 different charge profiles in any of the three different charge modes. It can save multiple charge profiles of the same mode (ie. Step,Linear,Pulse/Flex) but only a combined total of 5 profiles. Not 5 in each charge modes.
#3: Unfortunately, the step setting is global. i.e. you can only store 1 step profile. All the 5 different battery profile will share the same step charge setting. Which is not really good in my opinion, the main reason we buy the new orion charger is because of the step charge feature (or else i can just buy a cheaper charger) but i have to re-enter my setting everytime i swtich the battery.
There are quite a few settings which i think should be different for each profile but instead they are global as well :/

So, the so-called 5 profiles is a bit pointless to me, very user-unfriendly if you ask me as i still have to re-program it everytime i charge a different battery.
yellow15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:51 AM   #158
Tech Initiate

mtveten

You can find the temp setting :
When you scroll to Charge section, press set-up and you enter the charge menu setting section.

You can find the charge repeak delay setting :
Also in the charge section, you can adjust from Off to 60 minutes for linear and megaflex
Old 03-29-2005, 05:07 AM   #159
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to raving-monkey

I fried a cell on 2 packs using the step charge yesterday..anyone else experienced this?

The settings someone gave me seemed fine (and they probably were, i think he uses that on his chargers)

the settings are

1st:

5amp to 2600
5mv/cell

2nd:

0.2amp to 2650
5mv/cell

3rd:

6amp to finish
5mv/cell

I charged a total of about 7 or so packs using step charge, about 4 of them have finished because of the temperature (they were even getting to 55-60deg outdoors!)

We went onto normal charge to be on the safe side and batts were reaching 25deg if we were lucky and charged the cells fine. I will go back to step charge once i know some settings that aint gonna fry my batts (if it was because of the settings.

Anyone got any ideas?
raving-monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:18 AM   #160
Tech Regular

raving-monkey,
I've been running the step charge as peer David Spashetts recomendations. He told me to run:

7amp 1000mah
1.2amp 100mah
6amp until finish

with a 3mv/cell cut off, temp of 50 celcius and no mega flex on any of the steps. Works nicely for me, and can't say as i've experienced any cells dieing.

Cheers
Crashmaster
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:38 AM   #161
Tech Initiate

MTveten

In the step charging mode (Roff, R1, R2...R5)

Re-Peak charge
In order to get this re-peak charge to be activated after step charge is finished, first, you have to set the re-peak delay time ( off to 60minutes ) in Charge setup menu.
But, if you set the re-peak delay time to "OFF" in the charge setup menu, re-peak does not function at all, no matter what re-peak number you have set.

Then, in the step charge mode, you should select re-peak cycle number from R1 to R5.
Again, R1......R5 means the re-peak number, not delay minutes.

I hope it helps you.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:54 AM   #162
Tech Initiate

Raving Monkey

What was your temp set-up ?

With 3mV set up the battery temp is around 40

Your battery has to be completely discharge befor using step charging.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:02 AM   #163
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by sdmlsu1
FYI:

MPM 2:
#1: What is the max amp draw for the MPM 2? Per Orion: The max CONTINUOUS amp draw is 13 amps. This can be exceeded during spool up. Support didn't give an exact max for amp draw. If the motor gives a 20 or 30 amp draw on spool up the MPM 2 will handle it, the power supply may cause a problem if it can't handle the draw.

Hopes this helps some of you that may be thinking about this charger. It helped me, I'm about to buy 2 chargers and a MPM 2.
Where are you buying your MPM 2? Can't get it, here in the states.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #164
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kewdawg
quite a few are selling it....

Ultimate (possibly your best price)
Stormer
Sheldons
etc.....
Old 04-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #165
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by kewdawg
the latest TWO Orion units handle the AMPS, the very latest Orion MPM is just like the MPM 2 from MMR.

Orion shouldn't be hard to fine but ensure its the newest version.
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote