R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-24-2001, 04:04 AM   #1
Tech Master

Talking Front one-way, centre one way, dual one ways.

Discuss about this magical piece of setup.
When to use it. When not too.
Front, Mid or Dual.
If it is track specific or driver specific.
How to effectively use a one-way equipped TC.
When to switch back to/from ball/gear differentials & one-ways.
Which TCs perform better with/without 'em.

Basically a continuation from the previous forums
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 10:13 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

all i know about one ways is that....it helps you in cornering! more speed! but not that suitable for small tracks!
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 11:57 AM   #3
Tech Elite

My experience is, that either people love or hate one-ways (at least the ones I've met until now). Personally I love it.

If the track is a high bite track, a one-way can be used. Even on tight technically ones with hairpins. It's all down to driving style. I run in stock class, and I almost dont use the break, only if there's a crash in front of me.

But the car has to be proper setup. I like to setup my car without the one-way. I set it up the car with a little understeer. Afterwards I add the one-way.

As long the car is tweak free, it's possible to break pretty hard. But of course, if your driving style is to slam the brake before a turn, well, it wont work.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 06:08 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

With a one way on the lay shaft you can brake harder then if you have the one way diff. The one way diff will yeild more off power steering and greater stright line speed. On higher traction tracks one ways will help free the car up more in the turns. On tighter tracks you may need braking action to get through some corrners so the one way might not be ideal. Also if you race on foam tires on carpet the car is way easier to drive with out any one ways. Some cars like both one ways more then others the Yokomo cars seem to like both or none. Other cars have the option of an adjustable one way, so you can adjust the amout of free wheel this is another tuning aid. Just give them a try and see what you like b/c like the other guy said people love them or hate them.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 07:51 PM   #5
TFR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Isnt One-Way you dont use your brakes...?
if you slam your brakes...the rear end will slip and stuff??

me trying to learn here too...so not too sure...
TFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2001, 08:03 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

when using a one-way, i decrease brakes (10% less on the ATV) and try to modulate the brakes to avoid spinning out. this usually happens on the first lap with cold tires. however, during the course of the race, i feel i can brake more without spinning out because the rear tires grip much better. you can use brakes with a one-way, just be careful and try to "feel" if the rear end tries to slip away.
marvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 12:15 PM   #7
Tech Elite

At a given surface and with a given tire, there is a certain amount of traction. Let's call it 100%. The 100% traction can be used for acceleration, braking and turning. Now if the car turns, there could be for example 30% traction for braking and 70% for turning.

One-ways are only relevant on 4WD cars. A one-way pulley in general, allow the front wheels to free wheel, when off-throttle. So when entering a corner with a one-way and you are off-throttle, you have 100% traction for steering.

Besides, a one-way gives extra acceleration and top-end. This is because at some point, the rear wheels wants to spin faster than the front.

The downside, is you can only brake with the rear wheels. Normally 80% of braking is done with the front-wheels, due to weight transfer. The weight move forwards while braking.
Only braking with the rear, can easily result in rear-end sliding or spinning out. This is why a one-way requires a lot of practicing, because the cure is ease up on brakes. It's also the reason for why one-ways are best suited for high bite tracks. They can be used on slippery tracks, but it simply takes too long time to stop the car.

Most people that get used to one-ways, never go back again. (Okay, maybe if they come to a slippery track). It takes som practising, however, first learned, they normally adds 1-3 laps in a 5 minutes heat.

Personally, I think a fast/strong steering servo and a one-way, are the hop-ops with most laps for the money.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew188 View Post
Yes, Hara used standard TC chassis. I was there, I finished 4th behind Surikan, Hara and Jilles Groskamp.
wat bodyshell and spring did hara use?
RockyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

What about a center one-way with a spool up front?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you will strip the belt....

Personally I like one-way/Dual one-ways but you have to be a decipline driver when using them and learn when to left off the trothle. Car is always fast with this setup but it is hard to drive if your not use to it. I start with yokomo TC as everypne knows they always come with one-ways and I learned how to drive TC with one-ways but when you get use to it everything else will be easier to drive. I remember when running MOD with one-ways man it pretty crazy going on corner carrying that much speed and you know you can't use break with One little mistake and you will end with a broken car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
What about a center one-way with a spool up front?

Visaliahobbies.com * SkyRC * casterracingparts.com
Jochim_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Here is my experience with front 1-way:

This is how my car was setup with I first started the hobby last year. I used only a 13.5R motor, so speed is not that fast. 1-way is nice because there is almost no wear-n-tear in all your gears. Tires, belts, pulleys, shafts .... basically everything along the drive train will last you forever. Even ESC, motor and battery lasts longer b/c of less braking.

However, there is a huge learning curve to this. You simply has to be very patient and not slam on the brake on every corner. the drive line, off throttle point, drag brake setup has to be different but the car runs very smoothly around the course.

Since I now run mod motors, one-way simply cannot work anymore. Because of the increase in speed, braking is almost required at every corner at my track, thus, I have switched to spool.

Comparing to 1-way, spool is so much easier to drive. the car is very stable when braking and cornering and you don't have to worry about spin-out even when braking heavily. Of course the negative part is that all your parts will wear out a lot quicker because of the stress on the drive line. Spool driving is very aggressive, almost like point-n-shoot driving.

Almost all fast local drivers use spool now. Anyhow, I still use 1-way for stock motors and spool for mod motors. Also, the training in 1-way also help me in 1/12 pan cars too... since they are very similar.
hardmankam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

Chain Drive 4 wheel Drive Dirt Oval Pan Car ?
Called Dominator, Guess what it uses 4 one ways one each tire.

And it dominates on the track LOL

One ways tend make ur cars floaty.
A track that alows to take turns at full speed and where uc an have the whole car floting the whole time One ways are awsome.

No so much on touring cars.

Some drifters love to use one ways in the front for the ebrake effect.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:20 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post

[...]

Besides, a one-way gives extra acceleration and top-end. This is because at some point, the rear wheels wants to spin faster than the front.

[...]
Not sure what you mean there. Under power a one way will be like a solid axle, so there will be no slip as in a normal balldiff. That means the front wheels will take all the power delivered by the motor whereas the rear diff may slip therefore transferring less power to the wheels.

Offpower, all the wheels are just going along for the ride, so there's no imbalance in what they would like to do.

The reason the end looks like it's going to overtake the front under braking is that the rear wheels break traction and just skid along. And the reason they lose traction is due to unloading under braking.

There's no bulletproof way to avoid this as both the traction afforded by the track surface and the unloading are not negotiable. There's a number of things to do to mitigate the effects, but everything only works up to a point. After that, you're on your own.

Generally speaking (as was already mentioned) on large tracks with good grip and sweeping corners oneways can make serious difference but then again, a spool might work even better.

At the other end of the spectrum, on small twisty tracks with low grip oneways could very well prove counterproductive.

Quick reactions can help, so if you're over 30 and not used to oneways, it may be a bit too late to learn.

From experience I can tell you that you need your trigger to be very snug arond your finger (KO offers and adjustable trigger radio) and you need a fast, top end radio to make good use of oneways (again, KO fits the bill).

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak

how do dual one-ways effect TC's with a more centralized layout like the Losi JRXS pro & the type R. I've run one-ways in saddle pack cars for years (HPI rs4 to the Pro2....xray T1, FOC....tamiya 414) and i loved how they can make a car carve thru the turn. i've never been too heavy of a brake racer so i guess one-ways suited me better. Spools (IMO) are only good for rock crawlin not TC's. they kill steering, cornering and cause driveline failures left and right. but in today's world they are the norm cause they're "safe".

i can't realy knock on spools cause i dnt use em. but if the conditions are right and you want a rocket of a car.....one-ways are THE ticket.
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:52 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

Depends alot on your driving style also