R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-24-2009, 02:06 AM   #16
Tech Champion

one ways are not for racers who cannot balance throttle and brakes and use their throttle like an on off switch.

It does take some mastering knowing when to lift of the throttle and when and how much to apply the brakes but is very rewarding when you get used to it.

Indoors on carpet with foams I have never liked one ways of any description. In my experience you really need a fixed centre layshaft and a diff up front for that type of application.

On a big, flowing track with a 27t motor I have found a one way to be at it's best use though. Also very useful with a silvercan motor to keep the speeds up in corners

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
My experience is, that either people love or hate one-ways (at least the ones I've met until now). Personally I love it.
+1 my thoughts exactly.

One-ways makes your car *feel* like a 2wd when off power but still remain 4wd on-power.

I think it really helps if your driving style is very much point-and-shoot...

For off-road, I had a one-way unit in my DF-03 and absolutely HATED it.

For 4wd vehicles, I like a car that somewhat pushes into a corner (so I don't overshoot it), and then apply a tad bit of power to power out of a turn...
Old 12-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default centre and front one-way.

Whats the difference in car handling with a front and Centre one-way (which I use) to just using a centre one way.. or just a front one way?? does just having a front one way and a solid centre give more braking?? I have heard this but don't really understand how that happens on the car... anyone found that the car is more stable under braking with just a front one-way??
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
one ways are not for racers who cannot balance throttle and brakes and use their throttle like an on off switch.

It does take some mastering knowing when to lift of the throttle and when and how much to apply the brakes but is very rewarding when you get used to it.

Indoors on carpet with foams I have never liked one ways of any description. In my experience you really need a fixed centre layshaft and a diff up front for that type of application.

On a big, flowing track with a 27t motor I have found a one way to be at it's best use though. Also very useful with a silvercan motor to keep the speeds up in corners
My experience confirms this. I would try a front spool though next time I find myself on an open track.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnos View Post
Whats the difference in car handling with a front and Centre one-way (which I use) to just using a centre one way.. or just a front one way?? does just having a front one way and a solid centre give more braking?? I have heard this but don't really understand how that happens on the car... anyone found that the car is more stable under braking with just a front one-way??
One ways are great for stock racing and smoother driving styles. You can't aggressively use brakes with one ways as the front still maintains it's momentum and the car becomes unstable under heavy breaking as the front then drives the rear. Think of a front wheel drive car when you stay on power and yank the E brake, the ass end comes around.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hello. I currently run novice 13.5 at my local track, using a TC4. My track changes up a lot, but its got a chicane, and some tight turns, but its also got this sweeper that i'm loosing a lot of power in (this is just the set up right now, they change it often). I'm a rookie driver, only been out there for 4 race days, and i'm only 13. Does anyone recommend getting a one way diff in my TC4? Or no? I ussually don't break a whole lot, ussually i just coast through turns, and let my Dead Brake slow me down a little. I figure, since i'm only 13, and (from what i read in this thread) it fits my driving style, i might as well start now, to master the one way, and maybe get some faster lap times while at it. Would anyone recommend me doing this or advise me not to? I'm still a beginner to this, please help
Thanks, Dan
Old 12-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC4Racer123 View Post
Hello. I currently run novice 13.5 at my local track, using a TC4. My track changes up a lot, but its got a chicane, and some tight turns, but its also got this sweeper that i'm loosing a lot of power in (this is just the set up right now, they change it often). I'm a rookie driver, only been out there for 4 race days, and i'm only 13. Does anyone recommend getting a one way diff in my TC4? Or no? I ussually don't break a whole lot, ussually i just coast through turns, and let my Dead Brake slow me down a little. I figure, since i'm only 13, and (from what i read in this thread) it fits my driving style, i might as well start now, to master the one way, and maybe get some faster lap times while at it. Would anyone recommend me doing this or advise me not to? I'm still a beginner to this, please help
Thanks, Dan

A ball diff in the front would likely be a better option for you as they work well for smooth driving styles and aren't upset by braking, they are also very forgiving.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
One ways are great for stock racing and smoother driving styles. You can't aggressively use brakes with one ways as the front still maintains it's momentum and the car becomes unstable under heavy breaking as the front then drives the rear. Think of a front wheel drive car when you stay on power and yank the E brake, the ass end comes around.
Actually that's not a good comparison. If you keep your foot on the throttle in a FWD car and pull the handbrake, the ass is not going to come around. You need to lift off the throttle to do it. Likewise, in a car with a front one way there is no drive applied to the front when you brake, so the front wheels are just freewheeling.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
My experience confirms this. I would try a front spool though next time I find myself on an open track.
i think the car might push when you let off the throttle mid corner if you didnt have a front diff, that's why i like the centre 1 way, it feels more neutral imo...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPearl View Post
Chain Drive 4 wheel Drive Dirt Oval Pan Car ?
Called Dominator, Guess what it uses 4 one ways one each tire.
I remember it only having three one ways......

The left rear was still a "live" driven wheel. and thus when you backed off the throttle helped to rotate the car into the corner.....

None the less it brings back old memories of the great days of dirt oval.

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Quote:
Actually that's not a good comparison. If you keep your foot on the throttle in a FWD car and pull the handbrake, the ass is not going to come around. You need to lift off the throttle to do it. Likewise, in a car with a front one way there is no drive applied to the front when you brake, so the front wheels are just freewheeling.
Having many years behind the wheel of FWD rally cars I can honestly tell you that hand brakes, even with full throttle, will bring the rear around.

Even on asphalt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6thh_Iw92w

www.trackstarrc.com ~ www.facebook.com/TrackStarRC ~ Home of the 2x's Stock Nationals Champion TS-Gold & TS-Black tire sauce, TS-1+ lubricants, TS-Precision bearings, XRG Xtreme Racing Grease, Scale Auto Engineering, ElevenTech, WRD2, Carbon 12, Stiff Products
Racecrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #27
Tech Elite

OK, I agree. I should have said not without steering input.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
OK, I agree. I should have said not without steering input.
and of course I meant WITH steering input, since of course we're talking about one ways in the turns, because why would one use brakes in the straightaways

Last edited by trerc; 12-24-2009 at 02:43 PM.
trerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #29
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nomaak

racer123: i'd say try ALL of the tuning options you have available to you. learn the car up and down. find what you like and dont like then use it to yeild low lap times. what's not useful at track "A" may be the unknown hot ticket at track "B". take notes of how "this" or "that" feels and log it. in the world of racing, i NEVER trow any options out. everything has a use here sometime or another.
nomaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trerc View Post
and of course I meant WITH steering input, since of course we're talking about one ways in the turns, because why would one use breaks in the straightaways
Because they have a one way up front. That was the only way I could use a one way on our track. Never had good consistency with it. On a good lap it would score great time, but then I would have a few bad laps. Plus it's much more difficult to recover from a brush with fellow racers.

About using a spool, I had the same belief (that it would understeer horribly), but on our track (twisty indoor carpet, very low traction, rubber only, no compounds allowed) it seems it's the ticket to success in pro stock and mod at least. Mod drivers tell me you can be very aggressive with a spool and understeer goes away. Also, it allows late aggressive braking points in corners.

On large, open tracks, the problem doesn't exist.