R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Hudy professional or quick tweak station (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/635973-hudy-professional-quick-tweak-station.html)

NR 06-09-2012 06:19 AM

Hudy professional or quick tweak station

I am new to the tweak stations and wold like to understand how people use them,

However what is the preference out there, the Professional one that only comes in the setup station or the quick one.

I have the Professional one and am quite surprised by it, I don't understand why you adjust the shock collars to get it even. Wouldn't that just throw the ride height out??

And does the same principal apply with the quick setup station also?

sosidge 06-09-2012 06:35 AM

The adjustment will have an effect on ride-height - that is why you re-adjust afterwards moving each collar equal amounts.

The aim of the tweak station is to even out the corner weighting - small adjustments to the spring pre-load can compensate for small inequalities in the weight distribution or "tweak" in the car. A car with even corner weights should run straighter and more consistently when turning left or right.

I think there are some longer threads about corner weighting and tweak already on RC Tech.

evochick 06-09-2012 04:28 PM

I purchased the quick tweak station as i can use it on other cars like f1
Its also good to check tweak after a big hit.

Beth.

Lessen 06-09-2012 06:26 PM

I have the tweak station that came with my Hudy setup kit. However, I rarely use it because I find it easier to untweak my car on scales. It took me a bit to understand tweak but I think I have my head wrapped around it now. Even though a car's ride height might be even left to right, the actual suspension loads can be significantly off. Generally, this happens across the chassis' corners. That is to say [for instance] the left front may have 50g more load than the right front and the right rear may have 50g more load than the left rear even though the ride height is 5.0mm all around. Now the opposite may also be true in a tweaked car. It is also possible to have your suspension loads even left to right but have your ride heights out of whack. This happend to me once when I started using scales and my car was a mess until I figured out what was going on.

Basically, what is happening with a tweaked car is that the chassis is being supported by one set of opposite corners more than the other two opposite corners. Picture this... you have a square table with four legs. You saw 1/16" off the bottom of two opposite corner legs. The table still stands up but it's a bit wobblely. The majority of the tables weight is being supported by the two longer legs with the other two just keeping if from falling over. This is sort of (ok, it's not a perfect anology) what's happeing with a tweaked car. To fix it you need to even your preloads out. You'll want to decrease preload at the corners with more load and increase preload at the corners with less. You CANNOT only do one pair without affecting overall right height. You MUST adjust all four corners to maintain the same right height you started out with.