Wiki Posts
Search

Mechanical Timing Trinity D3.5

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default Mechanical Timing Trinity D3.5

I just got the D3.5 17.5 and went to adjust the timing to 45 degree for my blinky 17.5 onroad class and the farthest it goes according to the numbers and line on the end cap is 20 degree. How do I get it further positive or can't I? Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tekin Prodigy
I just got the D3.5 17.5 and went to adjust the timing to 45 degree for my blinky 17.5 onroad class and the farthest it goes according to the numbers and line on the end cap is 20 degree. How do I get it further positive or can't I? Thanks
Read the thread thats already created for it....There are numerous post in there about it.

EA
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

as far as i know, you cannot go any further then the max 20 degrees. but most motors have timing already built into them even if they were set to zero from the start the manufacturers put a stop on them because they know going over that isn't good for the motor.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcduder
as far as i know, you cannot go any further then the max 20 degrees. but most motors have timing already built into them even if they were set to zero from the start the manufacturers put a stop on them because they know going over that isn't good for the motor.
So the red glow and the smoke coming from the motor is bad??LOL!

Just kidding...
Old 06-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Seriously someone kill this thread...there is a how to on the actual thread for this.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What happened is that you, like me bought the initial batch of 80 motors with manufacturing defects on the endbell. The cover if you will notice is also too tight fitting, making adjustments hard so you will have to sand it a bit.

If you still have the receipt and did not touch the motor yet (soldered it or used a dremel), return it and order a proper one in exchange.

Alternatively if you could care less about using a dremel on the new motor it is quite a simple "fix," just remove additional material to allow timing to go past 20. Finally, one must also consider what would happen if you do attend a ROAR race after having to dremel it (will it pass tech?)
Old 06-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Team EAM

Originally Posted by hcw5733
What happened is that you, like me bought the initial batch of 80 motors with manufacturing defects on the endbell. The cover if you will notice is also too tight fitting, making adjustments hard so you will have to sand it a bit.

If you still have the receipt and did not touch the motor yet (soldered it or used a dremel), return it and order a proper one in exchange.

Alternatively if you could care less about using a dremel on the new motor it is quite a simple "fix," just remove additional material to allow timing to go past 20. Finally, one must also consider what would happen if you do attend a ROAR race after having to dremel it (will it pass tech?)
Nice way to spread false information. Look on the other thread for the proper answer.

The motor is designed with 30 degrees built into it when its at 0 on the endbell. So when you go to 20 you have 50 total. Not sure why they have put up to 40 on the endbell as they were never designed to go that far. I just got the 2nd batch in and they are the same. They stop at about 25 degrees. Ernie has posted on the Trinity Facebook page that its designed that way.

EA
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Nice way to spread false information. Look on the other thread for the proper answer.

The motor is designed with 30 degrees built into it when its at 0 on the endbell. So when you go to 20 you have 50 total. Not sure why they have put up to 40 on the endbell as they were never designed to go that far. I just got the 2nd batch in and they are the same. They stop at about 25 degrees. Ernie has posted on the Trinity Facebook page that its designed that way.

EA

Really? Why didn't you tell us that in the other thread earlier? Why did Trinity not include that in the motor instructions so that customers don't assume that a dremel is needed and therefore a discrepancy with their design? Furthermore, what kind of incompetent decision is that to add the label up to 40 as you stated? Is this the first brushless motor Trinity designed?

I'm just extremely frustrated that I had to go through this but I guess Trinty could care less for just one customer since they haven't answered my e-mail that I submitted a week ago via their website.

The fact that we have people like you and others stating thing such as:

"The second batch of the 3.5's will be punched properly ....... The first batch were a total of 80.....The new batch will have a "more range to adjust"...."

or

"Be weary on this first batch. The timing rings are messed up and supposedly I was told they would not go past 20 degrees timing unless you dremel some stuff out. They are supposed to go to 40 degrees like the Revtechs do."

Sure makes it look like it was defective. One shouldn't have to go to FB or forums to find out that the markings on the end bell are misleading and that the motor already has enough timing built in. This is something that a manufacturer should be competent enough to inform customers of this fact on their website.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Team EAM

Really? Why didn't you tell us that in the other thread earlier? Why did Trinity not include that in the motor instructions so that customers don't assume that a dremel is needed and therefore a discrepancy with their design? Furthermore, what kind of incompetent decision is that to add the label up to 40 as you stated? Is this the first brushless motor Trinity designed?

I'm just extremely frustrated that I had to go through this but I guess Trinty could care less for just one customer since they haven't answered my e-mail that I submitted a week ago via their website.

"The second batch of the 3.5's will be punched properly ....... The first batch were a total of 80.....The new batch will have a "more range to adjust"...."

or

"Be weary on this first batch. The timing rings are messed up and supposedly I was told they would not go past 20 degrees timing unless you dremel some stuff out. They are supposed to go to 40 degrees like the Revtechs do."

Sure makes it look like it was defective. One shouldn't have to go to FB or forums to find out that the markings on the end bell are misleading and that the motor already has enough timing built in. This is something that a manufacturer should be competent enough to inform customers of this fact on their website.
I went off the information that was given to me when the first ones came in. Dont jump my shit...I dont work for them, I didnt design it and didnt build it. If they wont answer your emails thats their own fault and not mine. I answer emails when people send them to me. I was also trying to help. Guess that will be the last time I do that!

[email protected] [email protected] Those are the only two people that work that with emails and one is the owner.

EA
Old 06-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

or

Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?

Do your own research
Old 06-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

or

Sorry mate, but you have come across as a bit of a knob to be honest! I don't know you, but to reply to someone that obviously knows, or has at least taken the time out to find out information about the subject you have a problem with, and then give that person shit, well, that's just a bit 'off' don't you think?!

And just to let you know, that quite a few brushless motor designs have built in timing (as part of the design). I know quite a few people that have tried 'retarding' the timing right back, and then gearing right up to use the torque coming from the bottom end rev range, rather than gearing down and relying on the top end rev range.

And to take that one step further, installing a smaller rotor and then using the speedo settings to get the best of both worlds (bottom end grunt from the motor, then top end speed from the advanced timing from the speedo).

Try it, but don't moan at someone that is trying to help you mate!!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

or

You need to believe in the saying that it is better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

As with all BL motors, you need to look inside and see where the hall sensors are relative to top dead centre. On some motors (e.g. HPI Flux) they are barely 10 degrees before TDC, on others (like GM) they are at 30 degrees before TDC - all marked as 'zero'. As has been stated on many occasions, and experienced on the track, anything more than 60 degrees BTDC and you are just generating heat, not power.

If any or all of that was double-dutch to you, then stop typing and start listening to people who do know what they are talking about. Next you'll be telling me that you are returning your new car because it won't get as much negative camber adjustment as other cars...

Thanks for the heads-up EA... in both threads!!
Old 06-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
You need to believe in the saying that it is better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

As with all BL motors, you need to look inside and see where the hall sensors are relative to top dead centre. On some motors (e.g. HPI Flux) they are barely 10 degrees before TDC, on others (like GM) they are at 30 degrees before TDC - all marked as 'zero'. As has been stated on many occasions, and experienced on the track, anything more than 60 degrees BTDC and you are just generating heat, not power.

If any or all of that was double-dutch to you, then stop typing and start listening to people who do know what they are talking about. Next you'll be telling me that you are returning your new car because it won't get as much negative camber adjustment as other cars...

Thanks for the heads-up EA... in both threads!!
+1
Old 06-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Alright guys, I'm the original poster and thank you for the replies, well some lol. I want to know if setting the motor at 10 which would be 40 total timing is the max you can go on this without just buildin heat? Or can I turn this to the 20 mark which is as far as it will turn which supposedly is 50 degrees timing. Is that to much? Thank you!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Alright guys, I'm the original poster and thank you for the replies, well some lol. I want to know if setting the motor at 10 which would be 40 total timing is the max you can go on this without just buildin heat? Or can I turn this to the 20 mark which is as far as it will turn which supposedly is 50 degrees timing. Is that to much? Thank you!
I ran mine at the 20 degree max the first time. I may try to tone down the timing a little bit. to test to see if there is a power difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.