R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Tech Master
 
spu83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 1,594
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

so exactly how do you find the sweet spot? Where you start from gear or timing or boost 1st?
spu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Tech Elite
 
NolanP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Westmont
Posts: 2,426
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spu83 View Post
so exactly how do you find the sweet spot? Where you start from gear or timing or boost 1st?
I personally would run it using trial and error. I would set it up at a track and test my times.
__________________
Mod Touring Car
Mod 12th
Nitro TC
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spu83 View Post
so exactly how do you find the sweet spot? Where you start from gear or timing or boost 1st?
For 17.5 blinky on almost any track you can start at 4.0 fdr and mild timing. (prob start a 0 on this motor). if you track is on the bigger side (100' straight or so) you will probably gear taller, if its a tight track you may find lower gearing helps. If people are saying 4+ teeth are needed, that's generally about .5 fdr taller.

Timing makes the motor feel faster, but if it heat soaks, it will start to feel soft.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Tech Master
 
spu83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: S FL
Posts: 1,594
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
For 17.5 blinky on almost any track you can start at 4.0 fdr and mild timing. (prob start a 0 on this motor). if you track is on the bigger side (100' straight or so) you will probably gear taller, if its a tight track you may find lower gearing helps. If people are saying 4+ teeth are needed, that's generally about .5 fdr taller.

Timing makes the motor feel faster, but if it heat soaks, it will start to feel soft.
correct me if i am wrong
so I start 4.0 FDR w/ 0 timing if I hit top end b4 end of staright I gear up till about end of staright. Once I get the gear then start playing with timing to ? temperture (170-180). So it will be gear 1st then timing 2nd.
spu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
Tech Adept
 
Rockin G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lockhart, tx
Posts: 226
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Not sure if this is the "Other Thread" that others have mentioned or not, but it may help, if you are going to offer that kind of so called help, if maybe you could post a link or something. Sometimes when you do a search, if you dont enter the EXACT keywords, you get a trail of treasure maps. I am not saying that was the case with the OP, but occurences I have run across in the past.
Rockin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spu83 View Post
correct me if i am wrong
so I start 4.0 FDR w/ 0 timing if I hit top end b4 end of staright I gear up till about end of staright. Once I get the gear then start playing with timing to ? temperture (170-180). So it will be gear 1st then timing 2nd.
I wouldn't relying on accelerating until the end of the straight, I would say most tracks I have run on with 70-150' ft straights, I will his max rpm before the end, maybe as early as 3/4, your powerband on the infield is more important.
It seems like most people are ending up in the 3.5 FDR range and +15-20 timing.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,043
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I wouldn't relying on accelerating until the end of the straight, I would say most tracks I have run on with 70-150' ft straights, I will his max rpm before the end, maybe as early as 3/4, your powerband on the infield is more important.
It seems like most people are ending up in the 3.5 FDR range and +15-20 timing.
I think we are still missing something at that gear and timing. 'Other' motors are still faster. Once the traction came up - not near the 'C' standards, the motor just faded big time. Tried more gear and less timing > got hotter. More timing and less gear than your 3.5/3.6 @ 15-20 and the motor ran better for the 6minutes but definitely gave up some straightaway.

Thoughts National Champ?
__________________
TEAMORCA.SHOP
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
I think we are still missing something at that gear and timing. 'Other' motors are still faster. Once the traction came up - not near the 'C' standards, the motor just faded big time. Tried more gear and less timing > got hotter. More timing and less gear than your 3.5/3.6 @ 15-20 and the motor ran better for the 6minutes but definitely gave up some straightaway.

Thoughts National Champ?
I hear some prefer the high torque rotor, and seem to run the same gear (not 100% on the timing). The motor can pull a 3.1 FDR, I ran that with 10 on the timing, but it felt dead in the infield, is your new home track more/less flowy than jackson?
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,043
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I hear some prefer the high torque rotor, and seem to run the same gear (not 100% on the timing). The motor can pull a 3.1 FDR, I ran that with 10 on the timing, but it felt dead in the infield, is your new home track more/less flowy than jackson?
Interesting about the H/T rotor. I though it came with it. I'll have to tear one down.

More gear and less timing netted more heat = more fade.
More timing and less gear = less fade but less overall power

Still more to discover with this motor. Right now the Reedys are still faster and with less fade.

The answer might be in the rotor. The motors definitely have less resistance than the Reedys, Revtechs or D3's.

The track(s) I have used the motor at have varying degrees of Jackson(esque) features and dimensions. In all cases, the other stuff ran faster. At one track that I ran at, not quite the bite of the 'C' but very high bite asphalt. The motor fade was substantial. Enough so that additional tried to gear it as a carpet motor - the results were less spectacular.

You know me, I'll run it to the brink of meltdown. Not MikeGee or Arvin style but close....
__________________
TEAMORCA.SHOP
MDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Interesting about the H/T rotor. I though it came with it. I'll have to tear one down.

More gear and less timing netted more heat = more fade.
More timing and less gear = less fade but less overall power

Still more to discover with this motor. Right now the Reedys are still faster and with less fade.

The answer might be in the rotor. The motors definitely have less resistance than the Reedys, Revtechs or D3's.

The track(s) I have used the motor at have varying degrees of Jackson(esque) features and dimensions. In all cases, the other stuff ran faster. At one track that I ran at, not quite the bite of the 'C' but very high bite asphalt. The motor fade was substantial. Enough so that additional tried to gear it as a carpet motor - the results were less spectacular.

You know me, I'll run it to the brink of meltdown. Not MikeGee or Arvin style but close....
That is interesting, because I feel like the only people here running reedy's are the guys who run for AE My TP feels "as fast" but it doesn't handle the heat well, on track is regularly over 120 this year and the D3 stayed around 170 and didn't noticably fade (no more than my skills do over 6 mins).
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho Ultima SC-R Thread zanernator Electric Off-Road 5020 04-20-2017 02:39 PM
Kyosho Ultima RB5 Thread Drift_Buggy Electric Off-Road 14641 11-10-2015 09:28 AM
EPIC "D3" Duo 3 RedBullFiXX Electric On-Road 635 04-06-2014 02:08 PM
17.5 Guide for Noobs Keeferton Electric Off-Road 14 11-23-2011 10:40 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:06 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net