R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

so exactly how do you find the sweet spot? Where you start from gear or timing or boost 1st?
spu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spu83 View Post
so exactly how do you find the sweet spot? Where you start from gear or timing or boost 1st?
I personally would run it using trial and error. I would set it up at a track and test my times.
Nitro GT
Wheeler and Mod Buggy
NolanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
For 17.5 blinky on almost any track you can start at 4.0 fdr and mild timing. (prob start a 0 on this motor). if you track is on the bigger side (100' straight or so) you will probably gear taller, if its a tight track you may find lower gearing helps. If people are saying 4+ teeth are needed, that's generally about .5 fdr taller.

Timing makes the motor feel faster, but if it heat soaks, it will start to feel soft.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
For 17.5 blinky on almost any track you can start at 4.0 fdr and mild timing. (prob start a 0 on this motor). if you track is on the bigger side (100' straight or so) you will probably gear taller, if its a tight track you may find lower gearing helps. If people are saying 4+ teeth are needed, that's generally about .5 fdr taller.

Timing makes the motor feel faster, but if it heat soaks, it will start to feel soft.
correct me if i am wrong
so I start 4.0 FDR w/ 0 timing if I hit top end b4 end of staright I gear up till about end of staright. Once I get the gear then start playing with timing to ? temperture (170-180). So it will be gear 1st then timing 2nd.
spu83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not sure if this is the "Other Thread" that others have mentioned or not, but it may help, if you are going to offer that kind of so called help, if maybe you could post a link or something. Sometimes when you do a search, if you dont enter the EXACT keywords, you get a trail of treasure maps. I am not saying that was the case with the OP, but occurences I have run across in the past.
Rockin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Quote:
correct me if i am wrong
so I start 4.0 FDR w/ 0 timing if I hit top end b4 end of staright I gear up till about end of staright. Once I get the gear then start playing with timing to ? temperture (170-180). So it will be gear 1st then timing 2nd.
I wouldn't relying on accelerating until the end of the straight, I would say most tracks I have run on with 70-150' ft straights, I will his max rpm before the end, maybe as early as 3/4, your powerband on the infield is more important.
It seems like most people are ending up in the 3.5 FDR range and +15-20 timing.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #22
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
I wouldn't relying on accelerating until the end of the straight, I would say most tracks I have run on with 70-150' ft straights, I will his max rpm before the end, maybe as early as 3/4, your powerband on the infield is more important.
It seems like most people are ending up in the 3.5 FDR range and +15-20 timing.
I think we are still missing something at that gear and timing. 'Other' motors are still faster. Once the traction came up - not near the 'C' standards, the motor just faded big time. Tried more gear and less timing > got hotter. More timing and less gear than your 3.5/3.6 @ 15-20 and the motor ran better for the 6minutes but definitely gave up some straightaway.

Thoughts National Champ?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #23
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
I think we are still missing something at that gear and timing. 'Other' motors are still faster. Once the traction came up - not near the 'C' standards, the motor just faded big time. Tried more gear and less timing > got hotter. More timing and less gear than your 3.5/3.6 @ 15-20 and the motor ran better for the 6minutes but definitely gave up some straightaway.

Thoughts National Champ?
I hear some prefer the high torque rotor, and seem to run the same gear (not 100% on the timing). The motor can pull a 3.1 FDR, I ran that with 10 on the timing, but it felt dead in the infield, is your new home track more/less flowy than jackson?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #24
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
I hear some prefer the high torque rotor, and seem to run the same gear (not 100% on the timing). The motor can pull a 3.1 FDR, I ran that with 10 on the timing, but it felt dead in the infield, is your new home track more/less flowy than jackson?
Interesting about the H/T rotor. I though it came with it. I'll have to tear one down.

More gear and less timing netted more heat = more fade.
More timing and less gear = less fade but less overall power

Still more to discover with this motor. Right now the Reedys are still faster and with less fade.

The answer might be in the rotor. The motors definitely have less resistance than the Reedys, Revtechs or D3's.

The track(s) I have used the motor at have varying degrees of Jackson(esque) features and dimensions. In all cases, the other stuff ran faster. At one track that I ran at, not quite the bite of the 'C' but very high bite asphalt. The motor fade was substantial. Enough so that additional tried to gear it as a carpet motor - the results were less spectacular.

You know me, I'll run it to the brink of meltdown. Not MikeGee or Arvin style but close....
Old 07-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
Interesting about the H/T rotor. I though it came with it. I'll have to tear one down.

More gear and less timing netted more heat = more fade.
More timing and less gear = less fade but less overall power

Still more to discover with this motor. Right now the Reedys are still faster and with less fade.

The answer might be in the rotor. The motors definitely have less resistance than the Reedys, Revtechs or D3's.

The track(s) I have used the motor at have varying degrees of Jackson(esque) features and dimensions. In all cases, the other stuff ran faster. At one track that I ran at, not quite the bite of the 'C' but very high bite asphalt. The motor fade was substantial. Enough so that additional tried to gear it as a carpet motor - the results were less spectacular.

You know me, I'll run it to the brink of meltdown. Not MikeGee or Arvin style but close....
That is interesting, because I feel like the only people here running reedy's are the guys who run for AE My TP feels "as fast" but it doesn't handle the heat well, on track is regularly over 120 this year and the D3 stayed around 170 and didn't noticably fade (no more than my skills do over 6 mins).