R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   USVTA Woes (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/635415-usvta-woes.html)

Hexonox 06-06-2012 09:59 PM

USVTA Woes

So I have recently come to a proverbial fork in the road and I wanted to get some feedback from everyone else who is running this class. I thoroughly enjoy the nature of the class having vintage muscle car bodies and tires. And I love the competitive nature of the class. It truly is a blast and I've learned a lot about car setup and driver sportsmanship; considering I come from an off road back ground.

My issue is as so: I have recently stopped running this class due to the primary fact that the rules for this class regarding speed control and motor brand; which in my opinion cater to a specific manufacturer. Personally I would like to see the class adhere more to the actual ROAR rule set; where the hobbyist has the choice to use any manufacturers speed control as long as it does not offer any motor timing control. As far as the motor is concerned; there is an alternative 25.5t motor on the market.

Now i know there will be comments about the interchange-ability of esc cases and the circuit boards within them; but I have found that ALL of the esc manufacturers have an issue with this problem.

Your opinions are greatly welcomed; but lets keep it clean. I'm not doing this to bash on anybody's beliefs. I'm just curious as to what the public has to say. ;)

DARKSIDE 06-06-2012 10:12 PM

all I can tell you is the USVTA rules did not come overnight. We took alot...ALOT of looking at everything from the oringinal rules to now.

The idea of opening the any motor rule or any blinky is a no win. ROAR is ROAR, and for ROAR events thats fine, we understand. But USVTA is US VTA and the formula that is before you and been working since 2010.

I hope you return to the wonderful class of USVTA, and understand that HPI, Novak, or anybody has a monopoly over the class. The USVTA isnt getting a check...we just are happy with what works, and works well.

Thanks...and dont forget, some clubs bend the rules to help keep ppl there or started, but the USVTA Scale and Southern Nationals as well as others will be Official US VTA Events

rctouringracer 06-06-2012 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE (Post 10830314)
all I can tell you is the USVTA rules did not come overnight. We took alot...ALOT of looking at everything from the oringinal rules to now.

The idea of opening the any motor rule or any blinky is a no win. ROAR is ROAR, and for ROAR events thats fine, we understand. But USVTA is US VTA and the formula that is before you and been working since 2010.

I hope you return to the wonderful class of USVTA, and understand that HPI, Novak, or anybody has a monopoly over the class. The USVTA isnt getting a check...we just are happy with what works, and works well.

Thanks...and dont forget, some clubs bend the rules to help keep ppl there or started, but the USVTA Scale and Southern Nationals as well as others will be Official US VTA Events

Politically correct and a predictable responce from you....:rolleyes:

DARKSIDE 06-06-2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by rctouringracer (Post 10830348)
Politically correct and a predictable responce from you....:rolleyes:

LOL...but its true and I dont get a check either...

I like the idea of being able to travel to 5-10 tracks a year and run the same thing I run at home...perfect racing

rctouringracer 06-06-2012 10:39 PM

Being that your a beta tester for Novak's USVTA specific Product, I think you may have a basised view, it doesn't take getting a check, product has just as much value. I think the orginal poster may be looking unbiased opinions.:eek:

Hexonox 06-06-2012 10:43 PM

Although I understand you view and your position: I respectfully disagree. Personally I don't like being forced to use a product that has to me; substandard qualities. Simply I've gotten tired of the stress of knowing that it's not a matter of if but when any of 6 esc's that I've owned are going to melt down. I am in this hobby because it is fun for me. stressing out because I'm worried my car is going to at some point possibly catch on fire is not fun. And in the end it may be that until the generally accepted rules change; I will not run in this class. And I know I'm not alone on this issue.....

Lessen 06-07-2012 02:22 AM

Personally, I don't really have a problem with the ruleset. When I first started racing VTA and was gathering up my gear I thought it was dumb but over time I realized it has more pros than cons (IMO). Don't get me wrong, I like development and MFR competition and all that, but the ruleset for VTA is working. This is one of those not broke, don't fix it deals. Everything can use a tweak every now and then but generally speaking it doesn't need overhauled because it's a good program.

On another note somewhat related, you have a choice to make. I had a choice to make as well. There are other aspects of VTA racing that I do NOT enjoy and when I came to my own crossroad with the class I made my decision and that's why I no longer run VTA. In all honestly, it wasn't quite as simple as what I didn't like about VTA, rather that plus what I wanted to get out of my own racing program. It was nothing against the USVTA organizers or my local track guys, I just came to the realization that it was no longer for me. Maybe it's no longer for you?

ChadRacing 06-07-2012 04:38 AM

Im in the same situation. I enjoy this type of racing but I do not wish to run Novak products. I have had to many issues with the ESC's burning up. I raced this class when it first started up and really enjoyed it then running 21.5 motors and a LRP TC Spec ESC. And yes i did run it for awhile with a Citrix ESC but felt I was lacking power to the HAVOKs. They are several options for esc's on the market that are equal to the novak esc's. I really wish the choices we had were more open to other manufacturers. I would prefer to run a Tekin or LRP SPX Zero. Otherwise I will not rejoin the group running VTA unless I can run ROAR RULES.

robk 06-07-2012 04:44 AM

It's unfortunate you feel this way, but the rules do not cater to one manufacturer. Actually, the manufacturer caters to the rules. I can't control what manufacturers do. In reality we are a pretty small segment, so the fact that we get any attention is good. At the same time, the class has been insulated from software "incidents" that came out over the last couple years, from multiple esc companies.

If these restrictions bother you lobby your track to run the ROAR rules. It's basically the same but it's any 25.5 and any esc in spec mode. If that works for you fine. PS If you look at the ROAR site, the rulebook has not been updated (still 21.5), but that is what they ran at the carpet nationals, and what they will run at the asphalt nationals.

rm25x 06-07-2012 04:50 AM

Are you just club racing or going to large events? I know I don't tech the cars at our club racing, and wouldn't care what esc they were running as long as the motor was 25.5

Deja Vu 06-07-2012 05:06 AM

I remember the old Legends Class oval racing. Everything was very limited with this class too, at least at our local track. Bodies, motor, even chassis bushings. At that time, it was one of the biggest and most fun classes around. It was also the cheapest. Later we started running the Tamiya F201 cars with stock motors and "themed" paint schemes. Again, it became one of the biggest and most fun classes around. It was also very inexpensive to run. Both of these classes were highly competitive with the series points still up in the air the final two weeks.

I personally like the current USVTA rules. It keeps everything "equal" except for the car set up and driver skill. And a Novak GTB2 and Ballistic 25.5 is what, $130? I've noticed in my 17.5 motors that there is a big difference in low end torque and high end RPMs between the various manufacturers. If VTA was opened up more, then it would become a race of manufacturers. The way it is, the guy next to you and the guy across the track are likely running the exact same motor/esc as you. It comes down to who did a better job prepping the car and who drives a better race that particular day. When I get beat, I know it was because I got out-raced. I don't have to worry afterwards that maybe if I went out and bought yet another $150 speed control that maybe I'd get 'em next time.

With the current rules, I like that fact that you HAVE to focus on car set up and driving skills. I also like that you don't have to upgrade and experiment with (and buy) electronics to be competitive. The bodies/tires just look cool and I like how most guys work hard painting their bodies...and there's nothing cooler than a line up of VTA cars on the track :)

I hope you get things sorted out on your end. If you already have electronics that are class approved, I wouldn't worry about it. Race, relax and have fun!

Good racing...

jiml 06-07-2012 05:18 AM

For all of you who want to know why USVTA specs one specific speed control and motor, start reading all the other threads about blinky versus open speed controls, or how people are cranking so much timing into motors they're melting down. The whole purpose of USVTA was to eliminate as many of the arguments as possible. The class is supposed to be put your car on the track and have fun! If you're here to win, you're in the wrong class.

If you don't like the rules, or want to run different motors or speed controls, then don't race this class!!! VTA is supposed to be an entry level class, and it may be time for you to move up.

ChadRacing 06-07-2012 05:21 AM

Ok..but then you still have the guys who go out and buy 5 motors to build and match so they can get the best performance. How is that equal? I know this for a fact cause several people out our local track have done this and you can see that their motors are way stronger and faster. You can not complete with people who do this. People will always find ways to be faster just cause they have the money.

ChadRacing 06-07-2012 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by jiml (Post 10830978)
[/I][/B] VTA is supposed to be an entry level class, and it may be time for you to move up.

VTA IS NO WAY IN SHAPE A ENTRY LEVEL CLASS. You have to know how to setup a car and drive the cars to be fast. The car needs to be setup so it roll thru the corners and can make the quick transitions without scrubbing speed. Newcomers do not know this and get frustrated very quickly cause they can not keep up

Deja Vu 06-07-2012 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ChadRacing (Post 10830982)
Ok..but then you still have the guys who go out and buy 5 motors to build and match so they can get the best performance. How is that equal? I know this for a fact cause several people out our local track have done this and you can see that their motors are way stronger and faster. You can not complete with people who do this. People will always find ways to be faster just cause they have the money.

Good point. In a recent "Rookie" forum reply, I mentioned one thing about this hobby is you can make of it what you want. You're right, there's always going to be guys doing whatever possible to go faster. Then there's the other 98% who are content to run with everyone else. If these guys you mention are good enough drivers that the extra little bit of performance they get out of that much work and money into finding a better motor, then more power to them. I enjoy my car, am content with my standings and am looking forward to racing again next week. And I hope to do better next time, always.