Wiki Posts
Search

USVTA Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
It comes down to me not plunking down $150 on everything that might be legal. The way we test escs is either we get an example from someone who owns one, or we get one from the manufacturer. I always read the manual first, and when I see timing advance mentioned, i rule it out. If LRP had an unfortunate translation in their manual, that is not something I can not control. I would love to put this ESC on the list if this is the case that it is a non timing esc.

I will look into this immediately. Honestly, though, i wish AE/LRP had made it known this esc had no timing available at all. It would most likely be on the list already.
I think you should have just posted what we were talking about the other day.......just sayin.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hexonox
As far as the motor is concerned; there is an alternative 25.5t motor on the market.
One of the guys at the local track showed up with one in a brand new $700 sedan chassis. He is a former national champion, and well known to be a huge sandbagger, looking for the softest class he can find.

I ran him over like he was jaywalking on the freeway at the end of the straight with my XXX-S and Novak motor in the first heat.

If you want to run one, knock yourself out. They aren't quicker.

On your other comment re: speed controls, you don't have to run Novak. I think you're dumb if you don't, I used to race a lot of 1s 17.5 blinky oval and the Novak stuff always made the most power on the dyno and always was fastest on track.

Disclaimer - nobody from Novak ever gave me anything. I am biased, I have to pay full list for my stuff, I'd like it to work, and my Novak stuff always does.

Sounds like OP doesn't like the idea of a spec class. Here's an idea - go run a non spec class like the normal 17.5 sedan class and have at it.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So this is directed to Rob and the sanctioning body. Now that stuff can be in blinky a la Tekin RS's why would that not be approved? Because of what you can control via programing?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
So this is directed to Rob and the sanctioning body. Now that stuff can be in blinky a la Tekin RS's why would that not be approved? Because of what you can control via programing?
If you can get in and fiddle with software it's not allowed. Period and end of story. Pretty simple rule.
USVTA rocks as is.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Perception of having to spend outrageous amounts of money in a class that we all know doesn't need it. As well as possible " oops, I thought I had it in the right profile".

I'll elaborate on my thought process; if "racer f" is using and Orion R10 Pro in ROAR blinky and shows up at a track other than his local track, say, a track were any speed control on the ROAR list is legal for the local VTA class.

"Racer P" is the local big fish in the pond and he uses a speedo from the USVTA list, he rarely is out of the top 3 of 15 on a weekly basis.

"racer f " completely dominates the days racing. So know racer f has it in his head that he needs that Orion R10 Pro ($220.00) to be able to compete, instead of his under $100 esc.

As a RD/owner it is considerably easier for me to walk the pit area and look at a car while conversing with driver's, and seeing what esc's are in a VTA car. Not having to worry about why his blinking lights are not the same as the other guys with the same speedo, who I know has ROAR listed/approved software while the other does not appear on the list.

Once again,only my personal opinion.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
Perception of having to spend outrageous amounts of money in a class that we all know doesn't need it. As well as possible " oops, I thought I had it in the right profile".

I'll elaborate on my thought process; if "racer f" is using and Orion R10 Pro in ROAR blinky and shows up at a track other than his local track, say, a track were any speed control on the ROAR list is legal for the local VTA class.

"Racer P" is the local big fish in the pond and he uses a speedo from the USVTA list, he rarely is out of the top 3 of 15 on a weekly basis.

"racer f " completely dominates the days racing. So know racer f has it in his head that he needs that Orion R10 Pro ($220.00) to be able to compete, instead of his under $100 esc.

As a RD/owner it is considerably easier for me to walk the pit area and look at a car while conversing with driver's, and seeing what esc's are in a VTA car. Not having to worry about why his blinking lights are not the same as the other guys with the same speedo, who I know has ROAR listed/approved software while the other does not appear on the list.

Once again,only my personal opinion.
Whatever works but now that also means that I am penalized due to the fact that I only have RS Pro's so in the winter instead of me running VTA and TC at your track I will be limited to TC. Btw I do literally mean your track as well.

It's not super super hard to see a giant blinking light under the hood. If someone were to accuse someone of cheating its an easier class to watch imo. It's all good one way or another but I will not buy a speedo just to run vta. a body and a motor sure.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Really? When I asked in the old VTA thread about battery IR rating regarding punch throughout a race, I was told to learn to drive, batteries don't matter, and Myron is running on a pack of AA's he found in a dumpster and can still win.

When I asked about FDR, and how some people were running very aggressive FDR's (3.0-3.4 seem aggressive to me), I was told to learn to drive, FDR does not matter, and Myron runs a 4.0 FDR on a TC3 with 1 wheel and a broken chassis and still wins.

When I asked about motor dyno's and the variance in numbers on Novak motors and what they mean, I was told to learn to drive, the motors are all the same, and Myron found his motor in a crackerjack box and it runs on belly button lint and still wins.

When I asked about losing rear end traction and suspecting I was overheating the rear tires, I was told to learn to drive, the tires work the same no matter what, and Myron skinned Chuck Norris alive and used his hide as inserts for his tires which is why he always wins.
This has to be one of the best posts ever! I hope Myron bans you from the Southern Nats for this.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by robk
It comes down to me not plunking down $150 on everything that might be legal. The way we test escs is either we get an example from someone who owns one, or we get one from the manufacturer. I always read the manual first, and when I see timing advance mentioned, i rule it out. If LRP had an unfortunate translation in their manual, that is not something I can not control. I would love to put this ESC on the list if this is the case that it is a non timing esc.

I will look into this immediately. Honestly, though, i wish AE/LRP had made it known this esc had no timing available at all. It would most likely be on the list already.
1. Thank you. All I wanted was to open peoples eyes to the fact that other manufacturers are seeing the rising popularity trend in the VTA class.
2. Other companies are trying to makes products that are suited for this class. Unfortunately creating a whole new esc platform take a lot of time and resources. So in the meantime the attempt to appease the wants of the races whom prefer their products by modifying current platform to accommodate the need.
3.As I stated before: I have tried the alternate profiles and found that the do not make the car any faster. What I did find was that the car had less punch out of the corner. More like a launch control effect.
4. I know this may be pushing the issue( and I am trying to get documentation from LRP to prove my point);but if possible I would like to see the rule against the SPX 0 amended before the Southern Nationals in Nashville.

If there is anything I can do to help expedite this process please PM me.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 06meanstreak
This has to be one of the best posts ever! I hope Myron bans you from the Southern Nats for this.
I actually posted it on the wall at the track next to myron's pit space
Old 06-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=orcadigital;10832640]Really? When I asked in the old VTA thread about battery IR rating regarding punch throughout a race, I was told to learn to drive, batteries don't matter, and Myron is running on a pack of AA's he found in a dumpster and can still win.

When I asked about FDR, and how some people were running very aggressive FDR's (3.0-3.4 seem aggressive to me), I was told to learn to drive, FDR does not matter, and Myron runs a 4.0 FDR on a TC3 with 1 wheel and a broken chassis and still wins.

When I asked about motor dyno's and the variance in numbers on Novak motors and what they mean, I was told to learn to drive, the motors are all the same, and Myron found his motor in a crackerjack box and it runs on belly button lint and still wins.

When I asked about losing rear end traction and suspecting I was overheating the rear tires, I was told to learn to drive, the tires work the same no matter what, and Myron skinned Chuck Norris alive and used his hide as inserts for his tires which is why he always wins.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Tech Master

I thought you had to use the hpi foam inserts so therefore Chuck Norris's hide would make the car illegal. Myron how could you??????

Is Chuck Norris's hide open or closed cell? I need some good usgt inserts.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 6376vette
I thought you had to use the hpi foam inserts so therefore Chuck Norris's hide would make the car illegal. Myron how could you??????

Is Chuck Norris's hide open or closed cell? I need some good usgt inserts.
Tisk, tisk; even with Chuck Norris's hide as inserts you still wont make 40 in 8
Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hexonox
Tisk, tisk; even with Chuck Norris's hide as inserts you still wont make 40 in 8
Chuck Norris's hide must be getting too old and wrinkly by now to be any good for anything but the hottest race days \Plus Bruce Lee must have left his boot print in there somewhere !
Old 06-10-2012, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Whatever works but now that also means that I am penalized due to the fact that I only have RS Pro's so in the winter instead of me running VTA and TC at your track I will be limited to TC. Btw I do literally mean your track as well.

It's not super super hard to see a giant blinking light under the hood. If someone were to accuse someone of cheating its an easier class to watch imo. It's all good one way or another but I will not buy a speedo just to run vta. a body and a motor sure.
You'll buy a special body, tires, and motor to run a class but not an ESC. Sorry, I just dont understand the logic here.

And you are NOT being penalized for running Tekin. The VTA rules are clear and are there for a reason. If you dont have the history on this topic, please ask myself or Rob at @ Strictly today.

Jimmy
Old 06-10-2012, 05:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Did you guys know that there is an official thread for VTA discussion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.